Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2017

haelewyn

I am thinking about buying a brand new Auris before the new model comes out..
Would tfhere already be a difference witht he latest face lift model, after 2015, in how the hybrid functions ?
My dealer thought it is more silent in operation ... Can anybody confirm ?

One of the reasons would be that the build quality is not impressive on the car i have. I hope they made some improvements after the 2015 facelift.
I see with Toyota now what i saw before on other brands : it's (moneywise) best to stick to the same brand. Changing brands costs more.

I was talking to them about the 1,2 liter engine. They thought that I would consume 7 ltr per 100 km with a calm driving style. An other dealer came to 6,5 which is in reality 1,5 ltr per 100 km more expensive. Theoretically the 1,3 is a little worse in MPG.
Diesels : i do a lot of short drives so that is not really something to consider, i guess ? The diesel, driven on many short drives, would be likely to cost money on the EGR valve or DPF and both are not cheap repairs;  Would it be a good thing to assume that they already made these parts a bit better than ever before (regen problems) ?

That would almost make me choose a hybrid again, altough i like the manual shift quite a lot too.
Positive for manual, i think, is the feeling of more power and the ability to shift when the engine goes into revs / becomes noisy.
Positive for the hybrid is that it is a joy to drive in queues. I see the queues in itself are a lot less annoying to me since i drive hybrid.

If you need to tow a trailer or caravan the Hybrid is no go. I think max. weight for the hybrid is 350 kg. 

I have the 1.2 liter with CVT, my average is 5.9 liter pr. 100 km. or better, when temprature is higher than 12-15 degree celcius.

Best average so far on a full tank of fuel is 5.2 liter./100 km.

Never any trailers or caravans.   I do have a Hybrid now.

I think you are a calm driver.. You do get good MPG's with the car.

5,3 is my current average on the hybrid, mainly winter driving as i bought the car in november.   

Best tank result ever was 4,2 liter. 

On myu Corolla 1,4 D my average was 5,04 liter, winter and summer combined. was 5,04 liter.
Best tank 4,34 with a lot of highway driving. If i would drive the corolla like i drive the hybrid now, it would be even a better figure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haelewyn said:

On myu Corolla 1,4 D my average was 5,04 liter, winter and summer combined. was 5,04 liter.
Best tank 4,34 with a lot of highway driving. If i would drive the corolla like i drive the hybrid now, it would be even a better figure.

I like that. Driving a Hybrid does tend to make you think more about driving style. Whilst I dont want to hold traffic up (my Auris Hybrid) you do tend to read the road ahead better and adjust to get the best mpg you can. On open stretches of road, a car may fly past you, only for them to be just in front ate next lights on red.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hold up traffic sometimes by experimenting to leave on electric engine, etc.
 I know there is an other way, but i have gotten a lot more slow than before.
Also when i am the first to leave at the traffic light, i am slow... I try to look at the green zone and when i hold it there and don't let it go in the red, I am a fair amount more slow than what i was before; I told a dealer today that i miss my old Corolla a bit. WIth the 1,4 D, I didn't look at my driving style too much and still managed to consume 5 average.

Now I look at my driving style a lot lot lot, my eyes pointed at the ultragauge all the time and i do about 5,2.
Good thing is that summer is still to come so i can bring the result down some points.

Calculating for a 1,2 petrol Lounge now...  that seems to be the most value for money, it seems at this point. I will have to fight to keep it around 6 ltr per 100, the dealer says.

Summer weather.. It takes less long to warm up the engine which is good for MPG. Went for a full tank (9 km range so I needed it) and saw the consumtion was now 5 liter. I do drive very sensible so this is for sure not a bad result.
In my country, Toyota just started today making a very special offer on the Auris, up to 6000 euro reduction. On all hybrids, it's 4500 except on Active (6000).

Since the Lounge is not so expensive now i think it's going to be that one.

Anniversary pack is a nice trim level too but I would add parking sensors (factory installed) and heated seats (aftermarket install) which would cost me about 1300 Euro. IN that case the 'lounge' for 3000 extra becomes interesting to me.

Engines : in Lounge, the 1,2 petrol is cheapest. I drove it in a CHR. It seems like a nice engine to me. Fast enough but not so much to spare on power. Drives smooth. All power available rather fast but not on driving away. Since our fellow forum member here gets good MPG (min 5,2 to 5,9), it seems to be a nice car to drive. He has the cvt which should be, according to toyota figures, about 0,2 liter/100 km better on consumption.

Some things I will change : i am not really using the space in the touring sports. It was a second hand car and this one was the best value for money. Almost no 5 door to be found at that time. So I took the touring sports stationwagon. Next time when I buy new, not anymore cause that saves me a bit more than 1000 euro.

Glass roof : won't take it again. I find it to be rather invisible and useless for the driver and most of the time I am alone in the car. In summer it is just more hot.
The only thing I really notice from the glass roof is that since the sun made it's first appearance, it starts to make sounds (constantly) from the moment i put the hybrid into Drive.

No more hybrid on the new car, I think, as it would cost 4000 Euro more. I am driving 10.000 km per year and would never save that on fuel.
Also the tax on the hybrid car is more high here. Yearly 150 euro for the 1,2.   It's  300 for the hybrid.

For about 5300 euro I would get a new car (2017 instead of 2014-2015), full warranty again, no miles and new tyres on it, save on one maintenance cost, have the safety sense and DAB radio that the old one doesn't have, can choose the color myself (I like the Denim Blue a lot), 5 year free map updates again. If i am not mistaken the facelift 2015 made an improvement in steering , isolation of the engine and suspension, so I would have that one as a benefit too.

Also considering a Yaris new model. Good conditions on one trim level..
Corolla :  stock model. Don't know if this one is still sold in UK. I guess so.

I would love to hear your ideas about it... If anybody sees advantages or disadvantages that I didn't see : feel free to tell me.

'New' Yaris is really just a facelift of the existing - presumably a new model based on TNGA will be coming out in a couple of years.

Corolla - the four door hasn't been sold in the UK since 2007.  Saloons don't sell well in the UK - hatchbacks sell better.

Corolla saloon is being sold here but .. that's about all you can say. Most dealers don't have one available and the national website here doesn't show a single promotion on it.
For those who didn't see the Corolla saloon lately : there's a picture included in this post.

Yaris : I don't have a real idea if this would be something i would like to drive.   I think maybe it would be less nice to drive than the Auris, seems to have a small trunk and the luxury level is a lot less.  They have a new 1500 cc petrol though.. with a low torque, no turbo or so, but only costs 500 extra to the 1000 cc three cylinder engine.

Corolla2017.JPG

Does anybody have an impression if there is a big difference driving an Auris 2017 compared to Auris 2014 ?

Yes new 2017 is smoother to drive more fuel efficient but the suspension rattles a lot like an old worn car  

• 2 weeks later...

Did a test drive. Seems a bit smoother and some things, especially the ones they said were improved.

Being about ready to order : I don't want the 17 inch special alloy wheels. I think i can make an agreement about that with the dealer.
I don't want the chrome on the car either.

Both for practical reasons. I live in a narrow street with high pavements, so I sometimes (less than once every month) hit the stones when i need to stand aside for a bigger vehicle or even damage the wheels when i try to go on the pavement in a not big enough angle. I have seen that these wheels are more unforgiving than others and are damaged on every contact with stone. Low tyres make that the wheel is damaged easier. So i would buy the car with 15 inch steel wheels, with the higher tyre. Maybe less beautiful but in the end easier to keep clean.

Chrome : Shiny and beautiful, i know. But after a few years of just going to the carwash 2 times a year, it tends to lose its shine. I don't want to change my cleaning behavior just for the car as it is my feeling i am not there to serve the car but the car is there to serve me.

Did anybody ever hear it's possible to order the car with 'no chrome' option ?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a goner here.

Bought a new car which I will have next week, but it's a Renault megane 1,2 tce. Will have to use a lot of hypermiling skills as it is not low on drinking at all. 

Factory consumption : 5,4 liter per 100 km but nobody seems to match that.  I am going to try.... it should do 4,something on highway so I am already curious what I can get out of it.

I liked the interior and dash a lot. Many functions seemed to have been developed like I would do it myself. Other things are less nice than on auris, like the trunk of my touring sports.

Decided to drop the Auris as it makes noises around every coil, one wheel suspension, steering, the panoramic roof, etc.. Recently started to beep loud inside, front parking assistant noise but no detection on screen.  It happened in several circumstances while driving,  even highway and sometimes for a long time. Giving loud beeps seemingly without any reason outside or inside..  it wasn't worth the money it costed any more to me.

Bought a 'one day registration' megane now from 2016, no mileage.

Hope I will be happy and lucky with it.

Best wishes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links