Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Fuel Economy

YarisHybrid2016

The last few trips I have made, I have gained more charge from coasting and regen than the ice was providing.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

@vivalacoulter : Try it, but so I've only seen negative effects. I don't do enough miles to get through a tank as fast as I would like for testing, so environmental conditions change too much between tests for meaningful comparisons.

The last tank of supermarket fuel was Morrisons petrol. It's cheap for a reason!

I use Esso or Total 95 RON. Either seem fine.

I guess Esso 95 it is then.

Bizarrely my Fiancées 2000 reg 1.0 Polo runs far better on Tesco 99, its seems to just slurp the 95.

2 hours ago, vivalacoulter said:

I guess Esso 95 it is then.

Bizarrely my Fiancées 2000 reg 1.0 Polo runs far better on Tesco 99, its seems to just slurp the 95.

One thing that I do avoid is old petrol stations, have had fuel contamination from a cheap place while I was in Germany 15 years ago. While the tank was full no problem but once we had got below half way the problems started. Kangaroo juice is a term I have heard of before.

Mother had a dodgy tank full of fuel when all the supermarkets were importing the cheap fuel from Europe, resulted in a dodgy o2 sensor.

Regarding tire pressures, the higher psi as I take it is the car with four people in it.

IF you were on your own and involved in a accident with over inflated you are in trouble. again higher pressures in the rain will reduce your grip.

One thing I miss from the little Aygo is the two shopping hooks in the boot, very handy and stops ones shopping going all over the boot. so I bought some hooks and stuck them with very strong tape. Ive also fitted a pair of Fiam twin horns to replace the pathetic squeak that come with the car. Why to wake up the young lemmings staring at there mobile phones and just step into the road without looking and boy do they wake up when i blow the horn.

Dont get me wrong folk I do love my new-ish Hybrid but it does have its faults.

P1010141.JPG

P1010142.JPG

Regarding tire pressures, the higher psi as I take it is the car with four people in it.

IF you were on your own and involved in a accident with over inflated you are in trouble. again higher pressures in the rain will reduce your grip.

One thing I miss from the little Aygo is the two shopping hooks in the boot, very handy and stops ones shopping going all over the boot. so I bought some hooks and stuck them with very strong tape. Ive also fitted a pair of Fiam twin horns to replace the pathetic squeak that come with the car. Why to wake up the young lemmings staring at there mobile phones and just step into the road without looking and boy do they wake up when i blow the horn.

Dont get me wrong folk I do love my new-ish Hybrid but it does have its faults.

P1010141.thumb.JPG.affe1d8f89863ab08a465ace503e6a28.JPG

P1010142.thumb.JPG.8a32afa04ea27b383eba8b174e790e79.JPG

In my manual it doesn't mention loading or occupants, just speeds. Plus you have to take in account, how accurate is your tyre pressure gauge is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

In my manual it doesn't mention loading or occupants, just speeds. Plus you have to take in account, how accurate is your tyre pressure gauge is.

I can assure you my gauge is spot on (certified with in 1/4 psi) as its used for our race Bikes in the I.O.M. If you check the sticker in the glove box is says (my interpretation)32psi front 29psi rear, if 5 persons in car 35psi in front 30psi in rear.Yammie

The electronic owners manual specifies speeds and pressures. I have mine set at the ">99 MPH" limit as the car can officially reach 104 MPH. This gives cold tyre pressures of 35 psi front and 30 psi rear.

Note my car has the 16" wheels, which further changes the required pressures.

There is no sticker on the vehicle specifying tyre pressures.

• Like 1

The electronic owners manual specifies speeds and pressures. I have mine set at the ">99 MPH" limit as the car can officially reach 104 MPH. This gives cold tyre pressures of 35 psi front and 30 psi rear.

Note my car has the 16" wheels, which further changes the required pressures.

There is no sticker on the vehicle specifying tyre pressures.

Just checked in the glove box and they agree with 35 and 30. For loaded car with 5 people, with 160kmh.

So the glove box matches the manual for our tyres.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Having had 4 hybrids, 2 Prius, Lexus CT and now a Yaris, I have tried BP Ultimate, Tesco Super Unleaded, various branded and supermarket normal unleaded. The conclusion so far, Super Unleaded is a waste of money, no improvement at all in any vehicle. As for normal unleaded, no difference between brands and supermarket, they probably all come from the same refinery anyway!

The only advice from the hybrid "guru" at my dealer, don't let the tank run too low and suck up the rubbish at the bottom.

Having had 4 hybrids, 2 Prius, Lexus CT and now a Yaris, I have tried BP Ultimate, Tesco Super Unleaded, various branded and supermarket normal unleaded. The conclusion so far, Super Unleaded is a waste of money, no improvement at all in any vehicle. As for normal unleaded, no difference between brands and supermarket, they probably all come from the same refinery anyway!

The only advice from the hybrid "guru" at my dealer, don't let the tank run too low and suck up the rubbish at the bottom.

True, the reserve is meant to stop from running dry.

I always find that a bit of a weird recommendation... does the muck actually float on the top of the fuel? Otherwise it would already be on the bottom...

I think there is some kind of filter on every car between the tank and  the fuel pump stopping rubbish before it is sucked in. Gas stations also filter the fuel somewhere around their pumps before it goes into your car. There is also a looking glass to show what the fuel is like.

Here, with environmental rools, every old (or new) gas station had to dig up their tanks and adapt to the new green idea or close their doors. Double sided tanks, meaures to stop leaked fuel going in the ground. Good ! 

I heard from old mechanics that contaminated fuel was a problem sometimes before but I think due to the above, there are less reasons to worry. You hear stories of fuel before containing sludge, rust, dirt..  

I guess nobody wants the bad publicity or having to pay for damages on expensive engines. 

I do almost always fill up between 25 and 50 procent, just to make sure I don't have to go take gas when I am  running late already and in a hurry. So I wouldn't have that problem anyway.

• Like 1

Running dry, causes a different problem. The fuel cools and acts as a lubricant for the pump.

Running dry, causes a different problem. The fuel cools and acts as a lubricant for the pump.

• Like 2

Running dry's much worse in a diesel than a petrol because the injectors run at such insane pressures. Also, you can't just fuel up and go - you need to re-prime the whole fuel system! (Thankfully Toyota thought of that and put in a handy priming pump in the D4Ds! No so with some other manufacturers...)

TBH you have to be exceptionally inattentive to run out of fuel in a Toyota - Heck, we have people here *complaining* that their cars have *too much* reserve fuel!! :laugh:

I must admit, if I see a tanker in a fuel station I will skip it and go to another one because I'm paranoid any crap in the tanks is swirled around when the fresh fuel is poured in! :unsure:

I also always brim my tank because I'm scared if I don't the water in the air will condense on the walls of the tank and I'll get a layer of water sitting on the top which leads... to MICROBES! :blink: (Petrol is toxic as heck and lighter than water so microbes can't survive in it; Water floats on diesel so if any gets into the tank microbes can live it in between the air and the diesel inside this layer of water!).

I never bothered in my old (1.3 petrol) Fiesta and only half-filled it because the extra weight from filling it all the way up impacted the car's performance so much... (Man that was such a **** car...)

This is mostly stupid paranoia - In the first case, a tanker could have just left and I'd be none the wiser; In the second case, air gets into the tank anyway as the fuel runs down so it makes no sense... but I still do it! :blink:

The one and only time I have run out of diesel, was when some idiot had damaged the wiring for the fuel level sensor. It just showed full all the time and I misjudged how many miles a full tank would give. Luckily I was crawling to a junction when it rain out. Had to buy a can and then the fuel. So glad it started again lol

Had about te same on a new Citroën van once. Only times in 30 years of driving (+ 2 times a really flat tire, 3 times not completely flat one that took me to the garage). Misjudged the reserve and how many miles it was on already. Had a small hand pump, balloon type at that time. Bought a can in a hobby store, filled it up at a gas station, all near the place where I dropped out of gas. 

On topic : choose the roads where you can drive on electric is a good way to save fuel. Choose one where you can drive on warmup, especially in winter with no traffic lights or queues on the first few miles (if that can be done). If you need to do 3 drives, do them all together will make you do them with a warm engine = better economy. Let the car glide, no throttle, wherever you can.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2017 at 9:02 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I did 160 mile round trip a week or two ago, and over the entire journey, I averaged 76 MPG. I drove at a steady 52-54 MPH, letting it accelerate down hills.

I have just finished a 200 mile drive with about 60% dual carriageways and the rest 'sort of' 50 mph with some town driving. The duals were driven at 60 mph so as to overtake HGVs, occasional 70 mph bursts and full power was also occasionally needed. A/C on continually - non-ECO mode throughout. The trip average on the display was 67.8 mpg - not bad!

• Like 2

I did 160 mile round trip a week or two ago, and over the entire journey, I averaged 76 MPG. I drove at a steady 52-54 MPH, letting it accelerate down hills.

I have just finished a 200 mile drive with about 60% dual carriageways and the rest 'sort of' 50 mph with some town driving. The duals were driven at 60 mph so as to overtake HGVs, occasional 70 mph bursts and full power was also occasionally needed. A/C on continually - non-ECO mode throughout. The trip average on the display was 67.8 mpg - not bad!

That's brilliant. And from a good mix of driving too.

How did you find it on the dual carriageways? The only thing I'm worried about is it feeling too underpowered and noisy...

33 minutes ago, vivalacoulter said:

That's brilliant. And from a good mix of driving too.

How did you find it on the dual carriageways? The only thing I'm worried about is it feeling too underpowered and noisy...

I wouldn't say under powered, just different to what you are used to. When I first got my Auris hybrid, I felt that it could not cope with going up steep hills, since then I have worked out how to tackle the hills without pushing my foot to the floor. Also accelerating up to 30 and 40mph speeds without being to slow or draining the Battery and then have no Battery power to keep it going at that speed.

What has helped me, was having the Yaris hybrid in the family, as well as the Auris hybrid. The idea is the same for the other of them, but they are slightly different in terms of acceleration and feel. 

On 2017-6-12 at 4:16 AM, martswain said:

.... they probably all come from the same refinery anyway!

The base fuel is the same - the difference is the additive packages added when the fuel is distributed.

1 hour ago, vivalacoulter said:

I forgot to say that I always use cruise control, so dual carriageways are just 'keep it in the appropriate lane' :smile:. If I want to go from 60 mph to 70, it is fairly rapid and I haven't felt any issues here, although you have to accept increased engine noise. If you are worried about the noise, the only real option for a similar small car (fast off the mark and an automatic) is a full EV, either a BMW i3 (expensive and crosswind prone) or the Renault Zoe (same cost per mile as the Yaris Hybrid, if Battery lease taken into account).

Yes, it's a bit noisier at speed, but vs. tyre noise the engine is relatively quiet.

Sure, when you get into the power band the engine becomes noticable, but this is true for any car.

Most of the time, you're not in the power band though, so the engine just disappears.

Personally, I don't find the engine noise to be obnoxious.

I guess it depends if it is fully loaded or not, but even when I have +2 adults in the car, it never feels short on power. It accelerates nicely to 70 MPH even up-hill, and always has power to spare holding speed.

A quick update! I did the journey again, but in reverse (effectively clockwise, as it were). Temperatures were in the low 30C (that is hot for UK) and A/C set to 19C, non-ECO, cruise controlled and 30% of journey at 70mph. Average mpg over trip was about 60.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday at one point the Hybrid assistant recorded no fuel used for 1/2Km while I was on the motorway, at 70mph.

• Like 1