Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Fuel Economy

YarisHybrid2016

I have a very similar situation with my wife and we opted three years ago for a Yaris Hybrid Icon and never looked back. It was £68 per mth on a 30 month PCP plan (deposit was around £3500) and interest free. Unfortunately that deal which was about £14200 isn't available now so we bought it for £8400 at the end. The reasons are the other small hatchbacks in automatic like the excellent Aygo and Up are single clutch ASG which are apparently jerky and not good although that is based on what I have read and not driving. She  rarely does more than 10 miles return and usually about 4-5 miles. We get over 50 mpg from cold in winter - tell me which other small auto petrol could do that? It is very quiet, roomy and exceptionally comfortable - easily a match for my Audi A3 Sportback. We tested a Renault Zoe and it is a fantastic car. But on top of the price you have to pay £75 mth  to rent the Battery which negates the fuel savings. Also there is a major problem getting rid of them - the new owner has to also lease the Battery and there is no way round it. Mind, set against this it is reflected in the price and you can buy a 2014 low mileage used one for just over £4k so it could be worth a punt on a used one .

1 hour ago, dcweather said:

We tested a Renault Zoe and it is a fantastic car. But on top of the price you have to pay £75 mth  to rent the battery which negates the fuel savings.

Battery rental is mileage based and the lowest you can go for is £49 a month for 4500 miles a year. It basically works out to 13p a mile for the Battery and 2p a mile for electricity which is the more then the 10p a mile you can get with the Yaris Hybrid! The only upsides with the Zoe is quiet performance and pre-warming or cooling.

As long as they keep nailing pure EV cars on things like batteries and charging, they will never be better (economically at least) than a Hybrid! Absolutely stupid!

It's almost as if they don't want pure EV cars to succeed.... :rolleyes:

One thing not usually mentioned about EVs is that they are usually internet connected at all times. This is great for future governments - speeding fines, tracking, road charging, etc! It is also good for Renault in that I think they can disable charging if you fail to pay the Battery rental! You have been warned :ohmy:

Just now, Mike J. said:

One thing not usually mentioned about EVs is that they are usually internet connected at all times. This is great for future governments - speeding fines, tracking, road charging, etc! It is also good for Renault in that I think they can disable charging if you fail to pay the battery rental! You have been warned :ohmy:

Uhhh... I *heart* Big Brother? Screw that!

We looked into getting a Zoe some time back, but it's not cost-effective at all.  I phoned Renault about this, and told them that their Battery rental kills any idea we may have had buying one and that I couldn't understand why anyone bought one.  The chap I was speaking to tried his best to convince me, but in the end, he agreed with me about the costs being prohibitive!

Electricity plus rental comes to more per mile than an economical car even though you may pay VED as well.

We pay about £40 per month on petrol, so Battery rental alone is a stupid idea.  You can buy a Zoe outright, but you pay MUCH more for the car, and you don't get any of the bells and whistles regarding roadside assistance and a tow to the nearest charge point.  Plus they won't guarantee the Battery as much as they would with rental.  Can't remember the actual figures.

It seems the prices of secondhand Zoes are very low.  Most people have them on PCP or a contract, and they handed back at the end.  There are very few private owners on rental or even outright.

Mick.

We looked into getting a Zoe some time back, but it's not cost-effective at all.  I phoned Renault about this, and told them that their battery rental kills any idea we may have had buying one and that I couldn't understand why anyone bought one.  The chap I was speaking to tried his best to convince me, but in the end, he agreed with me about the costs being prohibitive!
Electricity plus rental comes to more per mile than an economical car even though you may pay VED as well.
We pay about £40 per month on petrol, so battery rental alone is a stupid idea.  You can buy a Zoe outright, but you pay MUCH more for the car, and you don't get any of the bells and whistles regarding roadside assistance and a tow to the nearest charge point.  Plus they won't guarantee the battery as much as they would with rental.  Can't remember the actual figures.
It seems the prices of secondhand Zoes are very low.  Most people have them on PCP or a contract, and they handed back at the end.  There are very few private owners on rental or even outright.
Mick.

I bought a hybrid, as an electric only was a non starter for me. I take the car abroad, range and charge time was something I didn’t feel confident in. Maybe in the near future things will be better for my use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Renault Zoe has Battery rental but Renault Zoe 400 does not have Battery rental any more in Turkey. Price tag of base model is 130.000TL include tax. (28.900€)

There are 2 different taxes on Zoe in Turkey; one is ÖTV that adds %3 to base price then second is KDV that adds on it  another %18 tax.

Although high petrol prices in Turkey, Zoe 400 doesn't profitable with this price tag. So I have Yaris Hybrid :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/12/2017 at 3:18 PM, Mick F said:

I've sort of given up in recording the MPG figures as we were getting between 55 and 65 mpg depending on routes and usage.

They were - and still are I suppose - much better than any other car we've ever owned.  Living here in Cornwall with the incessant hills, MPG suffers compared to somewhere flat or gently undulating.  I don't care what MPG figure we're getting, but we're safe in the knowledge that the figure is possibly 15 to 20 MPG better.  50% better perhaps.

I set the readout to display the total odometer reading, but the other day, I clicked it over to Average MPG and was rather dismayed to see that it read 41.9mpg.  I'd not looked at it for a couple of months.

A few days ago, I reset it at home and after driving to Tavistock and back plus a bit of local driving, it was down to 38.5mpg.  Total distance was a dozen miles or so.

I reset it again this morning after driving into Tavistock, then drove to the outskirts of northern Plymouth and then back to Tavistock .......... 12miles each way on the A386.  This time it read 68.8mpg. The good economy was due to the profiles of the roads as Tavistock to Plymouth is over very gentle rolling hills.

Fuel economy is dictated to by the hills.

Mick.

Before I had my hybrid I never paid as much attention to the display. Now I do and I still wonder how bad the display would have reported then, I used to use nearly twice as much fuel.
Now I find it amusing to watch the range figure looking like it’s on pause especially when your getting towards the bottom of the fuel gauge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my 3rd Yaris Hybrid, and love it.
During their first year the first 2 would do about 320 miles on a tankful, lots of local area driving and an odd journey on the motorway. After their 12 month service this improved to about 335 miles per tankful. The first one was bought, and therefore serviced in September. The second was bought and serviced in March. This one was bought and serviced in September. That info is relevant to my problem :)

Since my present car was serviced in September the fuel consumption has plummeted. The red fuel warning light used to come on just after 300 miles and would be filled before it reached 320. After the service the light came on at much less than the 300. Each tankful seemed to give even fewer miles. 280 before light came on was the norm, but the last 2 have not even reached 250 before the light. This did not happen with my first hybrid which had also been bought and serviced in September. The time of year is highly relevant here. 

After several tankfuls I decided it was getting worse and went to see the dealer. I got the excuse of "weather", "air pressure", "normal for hybrid' etc. But they agreed to look at it. They found nothing wrong. I can understand the possibility that weather is worse now than the last 4 winters, but September's weather was no worse or better than the previous years. There was no obvious reason for the drop in efficiency.

I want to go back to the dealer after my next fill up, which will not show any improvement, but don't know what else I can tell them. They are still going to blame the weather :(

I doubt the time of year has anything to do with it.
One thing you could check is the traction Battery fan filter to see if it is blocked. The symptom of the blocked filter is poor fuel economy and the car doesn’t spend much time running on just electric. You might notice the fan is always running.
If you have a smart phone, with the addition of a obd cable or device. Using a app you could record the relevant data and look at it after your drive, this should give a clue as to what is happening with your hybrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I'd noticed it didn't run on just Battery very much now, but didn't link the 2.

What is an obd cable and which app should I use, on iPhone 8?

I use the Carista bluetooth obd adapter and EngineLink plus a few others that I haven’t tried on my iPhone 6 Plus.
I also have a cheap android phone that is just used for a free app called hybrid assistant using the same bluetooth adapter.
Hybrid assistant records the whole journey and the reporter app you can view Battery usage, temperature. It also has a Battery capacity test.
I also ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 12/3/2017 at 9:26 AM, Mick F said:

It's a pity that the fuel tank is so small.  Why it can't be the same size as a similar sized car, I don't know.

Our Hybrid has a tank of 36Ltrs - 7.9galls, whereas a normal petrol car of a similar size has maybe 50Ltrs = 11galls .................. like our Renault Clio.

We've had many Minis over the years.  First car I owned was a Mk2 Mini Van, and that had a fuel tank of 6.5galls = 30Ltrs.  Later Minis had 7.5gall tanks = 34Ltrs.

We recently sold our Fiat500 and that had a pitifully small tank of only 35Ltrs and at circa 40mpg or even less, we were filling up rather frequently.  At least the Hybrid is much more economical, but we're still filling up far too often ....................... so I reckon the Yaris Hybrid's tank is too small.

Mick.

Sorry to bump a thread to bring up a post from a few years ago. The NEWEST Clio now only has a 42 litre fuel tank! I think my 2001 Clio had a 50 litre tank, as does my current petrol Peugeot 208, which on a full tank can achieve towards 500 miles on long journeys of around 55-60mpg. When looking for a new car my top priority is fuel economy as well as good miles covered on one tank of fuel - which the Peugeot 208 ticks all the right boxes in that regard - but newer cars' fuel tanks are shrinking, meaning the miles-per-tank isn't increasing much (despite better economy) or in some cases are getting less! I believe the fuel tank shrinkage helps with lowering official fuel economy statistics.

I've long been interested in a Yaris Hybrid as my next car, but I do wish the fuel tank was bigger. But as others have said it's now not much smaller than many other similar-sized petrol-only cars - or even some much bigger ones! 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:01 AM, Vinylseats said:

Sorry to bump a thread to bring up a post from a few years ago. The NEWEST Clio now only has a 42 litre fuel tank! I think my 2001 Clio had a 50 litre tank, as does my current petrol Peugeot 208, which on a full tank can achieve towards 500 miles on long journeys of around 55-60mpg. When looking for a new car my top priority is fuel economy as well as good miles covered on one tank of fuel - which the Peugeot 208 ticks all the right boxes in that regard - but newer cars' fuel tanks are shrinking, meaning the miles-per-tank isn't increasing much (despite better economy) or in some cases are getting less! I believe the fuel tank shrinkage helps with lowering official fuel economy statistics.

I've long been interested in a Yaris Hybrid as my next car, but I do wish the fuel tank was bigger. But as others have said it's now not much smaller than many other similar-sized petrol-only cars - or even some much bigger ones! 

I did 391 miles yesterday and fill up 27 Liters of gasoline. Computer said I have 31 miles left but I had 9 liters of gasoline left so I assume there is big reserve in car. Tank is 36 L. Actually I like that, it prevent you to run out of gas and also smaller tank means less weight, mean less consumption. And 400 miles is more then enough for me. But with that 9 liters left in tank I could easily do 500 miles . That is 14-15 liters less then your Peugeot 208 need for that 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I can entertain you with some strange figures from Germany.

I have a 2016 Yaris Hybrid Style Selection which comes with 195 tires on 16 inch wheels.

It was not my intention to use the car mainly on the Autobahn, but as Corona broke out, I entirely quit using public transportation, I have not been sitting in a train since half a year by now. So I have been visiting my mum three times, which is a 700 km journey (one way), and I frequently travel from Augsburg to Munich and back, which is about 65 km, about 45 km of it being Autobahn.

The car isn't exactly what you would call a racing car. I read that the top speed is limited to 165 kph. Actually, mine runs slightly faster. The speedometer reads up to 182 kph until it doesn't get faster. Given the fact that speedos always overexaggerate slightly, I think that the top speed of my car is 175 kph (about 106 mph).

The government recommendation for Autobahn travelling speed is 130 kph (81 mph), and the car seems to be designed to be driven not faster than that. At 130 kph the engine noise almost fully hides behind the wind and tire noises. If you go at 140 kph or 150 kph (92 mph), the engine noise is always present.

Driving fast shows quite drastically in fuel consumption. When going through the city, I have a mileage between 56 and 62 mpg (4.5 to 5.0 liter per 100 km). If I add some Autobahn driving with 130 kph, I reach 5.5 liter on average. This may sound small, but compared to 4.5 liter, 5.5 liter are 20% more. When I really use the top speed, my average goes up to 6.5 liter per 100 km (43 mpg). My previous car, a Citroen C3 Pluriel, had an overall average fuel consumption of 7.5 liter per 100 km, and beating along the Autobahn would have lifted the fuel consumption to over 9 liter per 100 km. So, at high speeds, a Hybrid still is econmic, although it cannot beat physics.

When I park my car at the office, it gets warm. My parking space is located directly in front of a rack full of radiators and ventilators from a big air condition system. So, when I come back in the evening, the car often is heated up to 27 degrees centigrade. This is good for the fuel consumption, because the engine is pre-heated and does not have to run so often.

The other day I saw how much a Toyota Hybrid saves me money. My Yaris runs about 550 km on one tank. My Citroen could about do the same, because its tank was bigger. Just recently I stopped at a fuel station and bought a tank refill for my Toyota and a 24 bottle crate of Bavarian beer. And I realized that this is what I would have paid for a tank refill for my Citroen - without the beer.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

• Like 2

My wife has a 2020 Hybrid. Average mpg indicated 72 mpg. Checked on a brim to brim and 1 mpg high. 

As for comments on fuel tank size. With a full tank 7.9 gall and her mpg a range of 500+ miles is realistic. My craving for coffee and a toilet will never see me doing that in one hit.

She is delighted with her car and does not regret trading in her Audi TT.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On a private strip of land I managed to try a hybrid at about 90 MPH and found it was rather economical, but then had to stop for the impending fence.

Faster is less economical, slower is less economical. A curious discovery. It still doesn't beat the economy found at around 50 MPH, but it's not shabby either, at a reported 60 MPG.

Does anyone have torque curves for the petrol engine and MG2?

17 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

On a private strip of land I managed to try a hybrid at about 90 MPH and found it was rather economical, but then had to stop for the impending fence.

Faster is less economical, slower is less economical. A curious discovery. It still doesn't beat the economy found at around 50 MPH, but it's not shabby either, at a reported 60 MPG.

Does anyone have torque curves for the petrol engine and MG2?

Whilst I don't have a torque plot of a Yaris hybrid I found one for a Pirus. I was interested because an electric motor has max torque at zero revs and an Atkinson cycle engine has poor torque output.

There was plenty of graphs on the net some very complicated for the average person so I picked the one I thought most readers will understand. No offence meant.

My wifes Yaris is quick car 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds, Many years ago, 1988 I think I had a Golf GTI its a match for that. Who would have predicted that.

NM would have been nice but lbs-ft it is.

PriusPowerTorqueCurve.JPG

6 hours ago, scar said:
My wifes Yaris is quick car 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds, Many years ago, 1988 I think I had a Golf GTI its a match for that. Who would have predicted that.

Does your wife has one of the brand new 2020 models? My 2016 Yaris Hybrid has 11.8 seconds for 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) in the specs sheet, and I think that this is what you can expect for a car with 1.2 tons and about 100 hp.

Frank

2 hours ago, Sampleman said:

Does your wife has one of the brand new 2020 models? My 2016 Yaris Hybrid has 11.8 seconds for 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) in the specs sheet, and I think that this is what you can expect for a car with 1.2 tons and about 100 hp.

Frank

Hi Frank, it is indeed the latest version. She is really pleased with it. Initially a bit apprehensive whilst it was getting built to her spec but once delivered she was converted !

It seems the 0-60 time I quoted maybe incorrect. It depend on what publication your reading. Regardless it is a nippy car.

Came across this video showing the top speed and acceleration of the 2020 hybrid model . I have no connection with the video, its just for general consumption. Enjoy.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:43 PM, scar said:

Hi Frank, it is indeed the latest version. She is really pleased with it. Initially a bit apprehensive whilst it was getting built to her spec but once delivered she was converted !

It seems the 0-60 time I quoted maybe incorrect. It depend on what publication your reading. Regardless it is a nippy car.

Came across this video showing the top speed and acceleration of the 2020 hybrid model . I have no connection with the video, its just for general consumption. Enjoy.

acceleration is pointless really. I have 11.8 second to 60 miles but im always first in city acceleration 🙂

On 10/30/2020 at 10:50 PM, nasamorpheus said:

acceleration is pointless really. I have 11.8 second to 60 miles but im always first in city acceleration 🙂

My wife would disagree with “acceleration is pointless”. A few years ago she had a Yaris 1.33cc . It was set up for efficiency, read best mpg. I found it overgeared.

She rightly complained of how gutless it was when joining a motorway from a slip road. I did a few trips in it and I agreed. It was flat. Despite buying the car new it was traded in after 9 months.

Toyota also think acceleration has its place in modern traffic. If they thought that the new hybrid should have the same acceleration as the outgoing model then they would have made it so. Image the mpg 😀. But they endowed it with improved performance, and it certainly is a better car for it. 

incidentally her mpg is down to 69.6, temperatures are dropping and I expect the economy to suffer more when the winter arrives. But I’m not complaining about that.

On Friday, I drove up from here in Cornwall to Bristol and back via Bideford.  Don't ask why, it's complicated! 😀

270miles or thereabouts.  I didn't check the exact mileage, but I did have the display to show Average MPG.

The M5 was horrendous going north, so for some miles, it was stop and start and some at not much more than walking pace.  Coming back was free-flowing except for the inevitable roadworks of course.

On the motorways and dual carriageways, I tend to take my time.  60mph (indicated) in cruise control when I can, and achieved a wonderful 75mpg going north.  Coming back, the display had gone down to 68mpg - this was overall for the whole 270miles.

Not bad eh?

Mick.