Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid...how many mile from a full tank?

martin68

I filled my tank up just after buying my 2013 Auris Hybrid excel sports. From when the yellow fuel low light came on, I filled it until the petrol pump clicked off, and got 39.5 liters into the tank.

I them put the trip computer to zero and started driving.

fast forward....The petrol gauge is now a small tad under the half way point and the trip computer now reads 300 miles, and the estimated remaining range is 220 miles, which means I should get 520 miles out of a full tank

I could wait to find out myself, but i'm impatient and want to ask others on here with the same car what mileage you've managed to get out of a full tank. I have read somewhere that some get 700 miles out of a tank, but i find that very hard to believe.

Bear in mind the fuel gauge operates in a non-linear way (something that one soon gets used to and isn't a problem) - see

- so the fuel tank may not be half full/empty.

On 09/06/2017 at 9:30 PM, martin68 said:

I filled my tank up just after buying my 2013 Auris Hybrid excel sports. From when the yellow fuel low light came on, I filled it until the petrol pump clicked off, and got 39.5 liters into the tank.

I them put the trip computer to zero and started driving.

fast forward....The petrol gauge is now a small tad under the half way point and the trip computer now reads 300 miles, and the estimated remaining range is 220 miles, which means I should get 520 miles out of a full tank

I could wait to find out myself, but i'm impatient and want to ask others on here with the same car what mileage you've managed to get out of a full tank. I have read somewhere that some get 700 miles out of a tank, but i find that very hard to believe.

Yes, in the brochure for my 2010 Auris, the estimated range is 730 ish miles. I would say it would be possible, if you had the optimum conditions, without the 17" wheels.

The fuel tank on mine is 45 litres, but when I reach 0 miles range, I can only squeeze in 36 litres. In summer time I can get close to 500 miles, On long runs it will perform better than my short trips to and from work.

So I can't complain.

On my 2016 excel auris, trip computer says 573 miles range. But recently had a trip from london to glasgow which is approximately 393 miles from my place only manage about 400 miles before the warning light comes out. But most probably due to my heavy right foot and uphill road. 

On my 2016 excel auris, trip computer says 573 miles range. But recently had a trip from london to glasgow which is approximately 393 miles from my place only manage about 400 miles before the warning light comes out. But most probably due to my heavy right foot and uphill road. 

You don't stand a chance if there are a lot of hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the hills here yesterday. A lot of noise, revs, higher mpg when going uphill. No consumption or hardly any when going downhill. On some pieces, I was under 4 literms per 100 km. General.. 4,5. Cruise control on whatever speed went best for the car. Sometimes under 4 liter, sometimes over 4 liter, never selected a cruise coneroli speed over 5 liter.

I found it often works to speed up myself on cc,  then slow down. Makes the mpg lower cause the engine will choose better cvt / revs.

Never got more than 790 km from one tank but light was not on yet. When the light goes on, I can add 40 liter. Must mean I have 5 liters left.

All in all, 45 liter is the smallest tank I had in the last years. Doesnt take me far enough, to my likings. 

I know what you mean... I'm so used to doing 500 miles on 35 litres in my Yaris Mk1 without even trying that it's made car hunting very difficult... I really really really hope they don't push that stupid ULEZ up here and force me to get rid of it :crybaby:

what is ULEZ ??????

Something low emission zone, I guess.

Maybe u stands for urban.. or ultra ?

On 12/6/2017 at 3:25 PM, Catlover said:

what is ULEZ ??????

Urban Low Emissions Zone... I guess

here, I can reach high mileages for every depot, because of high temperatures.
From 50 MPG in winter up to 61 MPG in summer. (21ºC min up to 38ºC max this last 2 weeks)

And using the full fuel reserve. From 0 miles (or --- ) of autonomy, there are up to 6 liters in the depot (depending on actual consumption) and I cant reach up to 60 miles more with security before next refilling.

regards

On 2017-6-12 at 2:25 PM, Catlover said:

what is ULEZ ??????

Ultra Low Emissions Zone.

London will be having a ULEZ from September 2020 in order to reduce NOx pollution levels.

If you can get a good long run, the milage you can do far exceeds what the range says you can do.

Typically my car shows anywhere between 370-405 miles range when I fill up to a full tank, but on a good long run as I did recently, I calculated I could get 500+ miles (assuming I kept driving and didn't stop). This is on 35 L of fuel, so the Auris should be able to go further - 550 miles should be achievable I would think.

The range shown at full tank varies depending on driving history. If you completely reset the trip computers (history as well as current trip) it will drop to a low figure until you do a few journeys (Yaris defaults to 370 miles).

• 3 weeks later...

The whole ULEZ proposal for London is a joke.  Most NOx pollution comes from commercial vehicles and public transport in London but the government will take it out on us anyway.

I've been getting closer to 500 miles per tank over the last few weeks in my 2010 t-spirit

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I get the same optimistic figure (around 580 miles) when I refuel my 2015 Auris Hybrid (I always fill until the pump cuts out), but in my experience the expected mileage drops away quite sharply once the tank is about 3/4 depleted.  I usually refuel with about 30 or so miles left, but that still usually means about 450 miles actual obtained mileage.  My average consumption so far has been about 54mpg.

Recently went to Norfolk from Sheffield and back with some running around in between. I did 545 miles and filled up when I got back to Sheffield with about an eighth of a tank left. Fuel gauge was telling me I had 50 miles left, no warning light (not sure if there is one) but returned 70.58 mpg checking full to full.

(Re: post from Steve Whits) Wow, 70+ mpg and a 545 mile range seems astonishing from the Auris Hybrid.   Must surely have involved a lot of sub-45mph driving or a very light foot on very flat terrain?   Most of my driving is extra-urban, so the petrol engine is running more often.  The best I've ever managed is 62mpg on a trip from East Sussex to Canterbury and back, a round trip of 120 miles.

It's always been my habit - with all the cars I've owned - to fill the tank to the top (and calculate the mpg based on the mileage between fill-ups), but of course that means the car is carrying around the extra weight and hence burning more fuel.   Maybe I should change my habit and fill only half-full, but then that means more frequent fuel stops, and also of course I can't accurately calculate the mpg that way.   I wonder how accurate the Auris mpg figure actually is?

On 7/12/2017 at 10:05 AM, Turbutch said:

The whole ULEZ proposal for London is a joke.  Most NOx pollution comes from commercial vehicles and public transport in London but the government will take it out on us anyway.

You are right. Most current personal cars are have far lower emissions or are EV's. Most of the private higher cabs/taxis are hybrid (mainly Toyota Prius, Prius plus and Auris Touring Sports), plus apart from people who live in central London, most personal cars hardly travel in the central zone( currently the congestion charge zone). It's mostly the commercial vehicles, taxis and buses that are mostly in the zone. Most of them are diesel. When there has been bus strikes in Oxford Street the pollution drops - 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwilypLK56vWAhXMJcAKHWVhDoIQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessgreen.com%2Fbg%2Fnews%2F2394054%2Foxford-street-pollution-plummeted-during-bus-strike-say-scientists&usg=AFQjCNHhZAo_yfHk-GV5JXFReEsFfbtDZQ

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwilypLK56vWAhXMJcAKHWVhDoIQFggvMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indy100.com%2Farticle%2Fpollution-in-london-was-much-lower-yesterday-and-the-bus-strike-is-why--eJvO9YBp5x&usg=AFQjCNE_X0ue9JSsGucWYz7Ji_-JxNwuNQ

On 6/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, Catlover said:

what is ULEZ ??????

Ultra Low Emission Zone. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

The original version with the previous Mayor of London was meant to start earlier, but the current Mayor had to delay it, because Transport for London buses and the Taxis would be in serious trouble meeting and helping to lower the pollution. 

Private Hire Vehicles already have an advantage using hybrids, though diesel in still in use. here is something I found -

http://www.privatheirenews.co.uk/magazines/issue71/emissions_impossible_not_the_solution_to_londons_pollution.pdf

On the subject of fuel consumption - London taxis have terrible fuel consumption, and some drivers still park with the engine running. Most don't and rules are in place to force drivers to switch off. A Prius is way better. There are new taxis are being introduced - http://www.levc.com/

Hope this bit of info I researched helps.

On 17/09/2017 at 4:03 AM, Sir Jestalot said:

(Re: post from Steve Whits) Wow, 70+ mpg and a 545 mile range seems astonishing from the Auris Hybrid.   Must surely have involved a lot of sub-45mph driving or a very light foot on very flat terrain?   Most of my driving is extra-urban, so the petrol engine is running more often.  The best I've ever managed is 62mpg on a trip from East Sussex to Canterbury and back, a round trip of 120 miles.

It's always been my habit - with all the cars I've owned - to fill the tank to the top (and calculate the mpg based on the mileage between fill-ups), but of course that means the car is carrying around the extra weight and hence burning more fuel.   Maybe I should change my habit and fill only half-full, but then that means more frequent fuel stops, and also of course I can't accurately calculate the mpg that way.   I wonder how accurate the Auris mpg figure actually is?

I always fill up tank full to tank full as that's the only way to get an accurate check. I also have spreadsheets going back years detailing all my fuel consumption due to the fact my wife's a driving instructor and we have to keep track of her mileage. Norfolk was flat and there was a lot of 40 to 50 driving but I also managed 68 mpg on a trip to London recently. 

I also record all my vehicle mileage, consumption and expenses in spreadsheets, going back some 25 years, but that's for no other reason than curiosity and geekiness.  Still, even though I'm a bit disappointed that my Auris Hybrid isn't quite as frugal as I'd expected, it's still a massive improvement over my previous vehicles, nor am I paying any VED.

£43.50 476 miles

£42.00 452 miles

£40.00 406 miles

That is motorway and local with max esceleration some of the time

quite a good 0-60!!!

Jesty, im also in Sussex, and own a 2014 Auris Hybrid.  Mines somewhat downmarket compared to yours, but maybe that accounts for its lifetime average of 59.6 mpg, on the smaller wheels.  Actually thats including running winter tyres part of the year.  I use normal mode, as its more economical consistently than eco mode. no idea why, but it is.  Have noticed since it passed 30k miles the car is improving in economy, so maybe they take a while to run in 

Interesting Hicardo that you seem to be getting better MPG in 'Normal' mode.  I might try that next time I refuel, and see what happens.   Until now I've always used mine in Eco mode, with the occasional brief use of Power mode when required.  Mine is a November 2015 model and has about 25K miles on the clock.  I've recently had new tyres (Michelin CrossClimate) fitted to  mine.  They weren't cheap but I wanted tyres that would suit all the seasons.  I wonder however if they might have an effect on MPG (the reviews I've read say that they do OK).  They are quieter in terms of road noise.

This is wandering off-topic (sorry), but I just wanted to say that I'm not all that impressed with the main beam headlights on mine.   They just don't seem very bright and don't have much 'reach'.  My other half also commented on that the other night when we were driving home.   I wonder if brighter bulbs are available for the Auris Hybrids or whether they can only have one type.  I might pop down to my Toyota dealer and ask.  My neighbour has a standard (non-Hybrid) 2016 Auris and he says he's not too impressed with his either.

I filled my Auris Hybrid up on Saturday. I track my mileage and fuel consumption with Fuelio. My last tank I did 63.62mpg, took 37.4litres and cost £43.35.

I was curious to read about Fuelio, so I installed it on my iPad.   It looks quite good, and thankfully delivers the same figures as my Excel spreadsheet, but doesn't really offer enough to make me change my habit, and to be fair, I record a whole lot more in Excel than just fuel figures (mine is pretty much a complete record of expenditure on the car).