Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid...how many mile from a full tank?

martin68

On board computer display shows I am doing 61.9mpg and that will be over quite a length of time/miles .  Putting the car into cruise control I find the mpg decreases, my right foot produces better results. However, I am still trying different techniques to improve mpg, and yesterday I was on a M-way, bit busy but stead 60mph so I slipped the car into cruise control, but I had the car in PWR mode, and I was very surprised to see the computer display showing anything between 60mpg and 85 mpg (due to road slightly up hill, or slightly down). Getting better fuel consumption in cruise control when in PWR mode rather then  Eco Mode. Mmmmm. As I said, it surprised me, so much I will be trying it again.

Any comments on your findings with cruise control.

I rarely use my cruise control, mainly because I'm rarely in a situation on the congested roads of S or SE England where it can be used for any great length of time.  I might switch it in but invariably soon afterwards I have to reduce speed, which cancels it.  I'm going to try using Normal mode next time I refuel to see how that affects MPG, as suggested earlier.

Best mpg I had was heathrow to gatwick on a quiet m25! (it can happen)! 77mpg going fast downhill and slowing uphill (without annoying anyone)!

all season tyres were horrible on the concrete part of m25, made it wander.

pwr mode  eco normal makes no difference to power of car, just throttle more responsive in pwr mode but no quicker really.

11 hours ago, Catlover said:

On board computer display shows I am doing 61.9mpg and that will be over quite a length of time/miles .  Putting the car into cruise control I find the mpg decreases, my right foot produces better results. However, I am still trying different techniques to improve mpg, and yesterday I was on a M-way, bit busy but stead 60mph so I slipped the car into cruise control, but I had the car in PWR mode, and I was very surprised to see the computer display showing anything between 60mpg and 85 mpg (due to road slightly up hill, or slightly down). Getting better fuel consumption in cruise control when in PWR mode rather then  Eco Mode. Mmmmm. As I said, it surprised me, so much I will be trying it again.

Any comments on your findings with cruise control.

Cruise control will always be bad mpg as it accelerates uphill and the opp downhill, doing the opposite I got 77mpg over 50 miles more uphill than down!

77mpg more uphill then down - that must be rated as excellent. Was that cruise control on, or your foot, whatever it is good.

No cruise control, trying to hold the power in the middle of eco, so speeding up downhill and holding power in same position, slowing uphill, if it got to fast then being in B

I would ease back on power to use engine braking and slight brake, I find that when using engine braking and a little brake on steeper hills

it charges the Battery faster.

So in effect I was charging the Battery when I got too fast then using Battery when it slowed below 45mph going uphill.

probably could get more if the road was empty!

• 2 weeks later...

So how many miles from empty does the warning light come on? I bought the car last month and managed to do 440 miles on the first tank of petrol before the light came on. The speed with which the needle dropped to empty and the computer showed no range after the light came on made me a bit concerned (it all happened in about 10 miles). I'd expect to have at least 50 miles of buffer to have some form of safety net to be honest.

you will probably have more than that - Toyota are very conservative.

Question is, do I dare to test it with fuel gauge not having clear reserve range and the computer being so pessimistic.

8 hours ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

Question is, do I dare to test it with fuel gauge not having clear reserve range and the computer being so pessimistic.

The manual for the Auris Hybrid says that the fuel warning light comes on when there's approximately 1.5gal (6.8L) left in the tank, so that's about 80 miles' worth, but my range indicator usually shows about 50 miles when the light first comes on. Although curious, I don't trust it too far, and usually refuel within about 25 miles of the light appearing.

10 hours ago, Sir Jestalot said:

The manual for the Auris Hybrid says that the fuel warning light comes on when there's approximately 1.5gal (6.8L) left in the tank, so that's about 80 miles' worth, but my range indicator usually shows about 50 miles when the light first comes on. Although curious, I don't trust it too far, and usually refuel within about 25 miles of the light appearing.

My warning light came on for the first time last week and the range indicator showed 37 miles.  I filled up within 5 miles of it illuminating and it took 35.1 litres (7.72 gallons) so with a 45 litre tank it should have had 10 litres left in it so definitely more than 37 miles.

well i was getting low and should have got home with 35 miles left but it was on 19 !!!

I did 511 miles and put (squeezed) 41.2L to fill up.

That proves the point, it's the first car where I'd be playing Russian roulette if I don't count how many miles exactly elapsed since the light first came on, assuming that my calculations are right. All my previous (non Japanese) cars had a setup where the light comes on with fuel gauge in the beginning range of the reserve fuel area which allows for much better reserve fuel management and planning. Some things Toyota do are pretty special I must say.

• 4 months later...

When I purchased my car Auris hybrid on a 61 plate I was getting 70 to 74 mpg on a regular runs it was then recalled by dealer for some kind of software update to the hybrid system but then my mpg dropped on the same regular motorway runs to 60/64mpg bit of a drop I would say but I asked dealer and they said it wouldn't affect mpg so bit odd to me why the sudden drop then full dealer history I'm getting about 420/450 per tank

I got my Auris a month ago and so far I filled it up twice. Not very impressed so far as my first tank made just over 400 miles. I have been a bit more conservative with the second tank by keeping its speed steady in order to improve fuel economy and with my second tank half fuel I have done around 250 miles. I'm always drive in Eco mode and only change to Power mode when overtaking or going uphill. However after read about power mode being more economic I will give it a go in the future and see how many miles I can achieve with a full tank on power mode. 

Taking the opportunity drive the car in B is a bad thing to do?

15 hours ago, Grandprix said:

When I purchased my car Auris hybrid on a 61 plate I was getting 70 to 74 mpg on a regular runs it was then recalled by dealer for some kind of software update to the hybrid system but then my mpg dropped on the same regular motorway runs to 60/64mpg bit of a drop I would say but I asked dealer and they said it wouldn't affect mpg so bit odd to me why the sudden drop then full dealer history I'm getting about 420/450 per tank

The update must have been to set the mpg correctly, Thats very high. I normally get 58-60mpg local and motor way.

Although I did manage heathrow to gatwick with 77mpg, that was lsowing uphills and speeding up downhill!

12 hours ago, Kled said:

I got my Auris a month ago and so far I filled it up twice. Not very impressed so far as my first tank made just over 400 miles. I have been a bit more conservative with the second tank by keeping its speed steady in order to improve fuel economy and with my second tank half fuel I have done around 250 miles. I'm always drive in Eco mode and only change to Power mode when overtaking or going uphill. However after read about power mode being more economic I will give it a go in the future and see how many miles I can achieve with a full tank on power mode. 

Taking the opportunity drive the car in B is a bad thing to do?

power mode is no faster, just makes the throttle more responsove, still only get about 7secs 0-60 whatever mode, slightly quicker if you can make the engine run just before booting it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am a new member,  I need some help/suggestions.

I bought an auris hybrid t spirit  year 2011(17” wheels) 2 months ago. So far the fuel economy is poor computer saying 40 mpg but I cant even get 300 miles out of a full tank more like 280miles/ 10 gal. 

I read a lot about and watched videos how to drive a hybrid but can’t achieve better fuel economy. Tried everything even holding back traffic due to slow acceleration. I had a complete check done by toyota but they said everything is fine. The only possible problem that i can think of is the winter tires dragging the car a little.

I would appriciate if you could suggest what to look for

many thanks

Rather than relying on the car's computer readout, have you tried measuring the consumption using a brim to brim basis, as the computer may not be that accurate.

2 hours ago, tibor said:

Hi everyone, I am a new member,  I need some help/suggestions.

I bought an auris hybrid t spirit  year 2011(17” wheels) 2 months ago. So far the fuel economy is poor computer saying 40 mpg but I cant even get 300 miles out of a full tank more like 280miles/ 10 gal. 

[...]

Hi tibor, I have found that my car's mpg readout is rather more optimistic than my calculated (brim-to-brim) mpg, usually differing by between 2 and 4, so it could be that your mpg is actually worse than you think :-)

I think mpg takes a bit of a dive in the winter months anyway.  Are you using winter tyres?   I fitted a set of Michelin CrossClimates on mine last August, and ever since then my mpg has worsened considerably; from an average 53mpg before the new tyres, to an average of 46.6 since then.   Suffice to say that I am quite disappointed with the mpg which I had been led to believe would be in the high 50s to low 60s.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Rather than relying on the car's computer readout, have you tried measuring the consumption using a brim to brim basis, as the computer may not be that accurate.

Thanks for the reply, Yes, I can get 280 miles out of a full tank which means the consumption is about 28 mpg. The tank was not completely empty though(but almost) but added the remaining miles to the miles I had done. I read that lots of owners drive their cars like it was petrol/diesel car and get 50+ mpg, I only get about half of that and less than 40% of the official figure. 

The front tires are new unbranded/budget winter tires and original tires on the rear wheels

I know something is not right with this car but can't find out whats wrong

On 2/20/2018 at 12:07 PM, Andy H777 said:

power mode is no faster, just makes the throttle more responsove, still only get about 7secs 0-60 whatever mode, slightly quicker if you can make the engine run just before booting it!

Well I pretty sure that both our Auris Hybrid and Prius Hybrid wont reach 0-60 in the same time irrespective whether eco mode or pwr mode. Top speed, yes, ican understand that but acceleration seems speedier in pwr mode.  And I thought 0-60 is about 10.6 secs in the Autris isnt it.

19 hours ago, tibor said:

Thanks for the reply, Yes, I can get 280 miles out of a full tank which means the consumption is about 28 mpg. The tank was not completely empty though(but almost) but added the remaining miles to the miles I had done. I read that lots of owners drive their cars like it was petrol/diesel car and get 50+ mpg, I only get about half of that and less than 40% of the official figure. 

The front tires are new unbranded/budget winter tires and original tires on the rear wheels

I know something is not right with this car but can't find out whats wrong

28mpg from an Auris Hybrid is ludicrous (I thought my mid-40s mpg was bad enough), so if that is really the case then I think you need to have a chat with your dealer!

Im getting over the winter an average of 52mpg in my 2014 Auris Hybrid, with winter tyres fitted, and including motoring around in the recent cold snap  Considering a lot of my journeys are fairly short, I'm quite satisfied.  There's a lot of consumption variation with winter tyre brands.  I currently use Riken Snowtime, and can't fault them.  Quiet too.  Generally I would expect 55 in winter and around 62 - 65 average in summer (for my type of journeys).  I think thats pretty good.  My car has performed like this consistently, and I don't hyper mile or pay any special attention to economy.  Just drive smoothly and normally, sticking to speed limits.  :biggrin::biggrin: