Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid...how many mile from a full tank?

martin68

1 minute ago, Sir Jestalot said:

What does the '10' in the red circle (next to the cruise control icon) mean?  That doesn't appear on my 2015 model.

That’s the road sign assist. Basically a camera reads the speed limit sign and displays it on the dash. Works fairly well but it occasionally it reads the signs on back of lorries.

2 hours ago, Sir Jestalot said:
What does the '10' in the red circle (next to the cruise control icon) mean?  That doesn't appear on my 2015 model.
2 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:
That’s the road sign assist. Basically a camera reads the speed limit sign and displays it on the dash. Works fairly well but it occasionally it reads the signs on back of lorries.

That’s correct speed limit display, 10mph is the speed limit on our caravan site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, j66 said:

That’s correct speed limit display, 10mph is the speed limit on our caravan site.

Fair enough - thanks.  My model doesn't have the roadsign assist function.

I think it comes as a package with the touch 2 and go.

I’m on 400 at the moment 1/4 tank left.

36b0a5ac4f8c265b72b3829d4150b063.jpg&key=88d118ce33aff7c96fcb7a45cacfc3142c65cd7841a60baab01787b488e0f643

See how we get on this week, I drive in normal mode all the time, been fully loaded as well with gear for my model club and stuff for our caravan being transported up and down from Lytham to Manchester.

Managed another 75 miles, still only able to get 39 litres in for a brimming tank, last full was on the 9th March so all that cold weather to deal with.

5e21bc37dcf8d2ca9ca6fb1699928b56.jpg&key=0916beb27a8fcd91d3634a2236b0a1673876efe8183ccc635acc2a82ad24dea7

I was convinced we were sucking air as well, all the way down the front at Blackpool from Cleveleys, wife was having images of us broken down on the golden mile, [emoji41][emoji41][emoji102] she was giving me 🤬🤬

Auris Excel Hybrid 2015 (17 inch wheels)

just got 495 out of my last tank. full to warming light ( not to brim, but pump trigger snap, so not a very good reference point)

filled up with 38.38 litres

mixed use and number of folks in car

sadly remembered to take photo after I had reset the trip A counter

average 60mpg. happy with it so far

just wonder how much more MPG I can get when the warmer weather gets here.

I made a reference to the wheel size as the 15 inch give better MPG?

P_20180405_124311.jpg

1 hour ago, older but wiser? said:

Auris Excel Hybrid 2015 (17 inch wheels)

just got 495 out of my last tank. full to warming light ( not to brim, but pump trigger snap, so not a very good reference point)

filled up with 38.38 litres

mixed use and number of folks in car

average 60mpg. happy with it so far

just wonder how much more MPG I can get when the warmer weather gets here.

I made a reference to the wheel size as the 15 inch give better MPG?

Well, I have an identical model, same year and wheel size but I get nothing like the mpg you're getting.   I've been averaging upper 40s mpg during the winter, though it's showing nearly 51mpg average at the moment.   The majority of the time it's just me in the car, and sometimes also the ladyfriend.   Mixed use but quite a lot of short journeys.  Last year I fitted Michelin CrossClimate all-season tyres; I wonder if they might be holding the mpg down?

Just reread the hand book [emoji857] tyre pressures are advertised as being 33 all round comfort, 36 all round eco, might try 36 as less rolling resistance, but if comfort is compromised its back to 33.

On 01/04/2018 at 10:42 AM, Sir Jestalot said:

I'm never sure what "reserve tank" is in the Auris Hybrid, and when it comes into effect, though I am familiar with the term because I am also a motorcyclist.  I take the mileage countdown measurement on the Auris as being down to Empty, or is it a countdown to Reserve?  I haven't risked taking the countdown all the way to zero :-)   The fuel warning light comes on with about 45 miles to go on the countdown, though this seems to vary.

I'm confused about the reserve tank on my 2018 Auris. Last week the reserve  light lit up and the computer was telling me I could drive somewhere around 40 to 50 miles. But after 20 miles the computer was telling me I could only drive for another 9 miles, so I stopped it and filled the tank up. The tank got full with 38 litres so I'm assuming it still had around 6 litres on it, therefore the computer is very inaccurate or very conservative.

38 minutes ago, Kled said:

I'm confused about the reserve tank on my 2018 Auris. Last week the reserve  light lit up and the computer was telling me I could drive somewhere around 40 to 50 miles. But after 20 miles the computer was telling me I could only drive for another 9 miles, so I stopped it and filled the tank up. The tank got full with 38 litres so I'm assuming it still had around 6 litres on it, therefore the computer is very inaccurate or very conservative.

Perhaps the remaining fuel was sloshing around in the tank and caused a misreading?   I do often find the 'countdown' goes faster than expected.  I never rely too much on the reading anyway, and normally refuel pretty soon after the warning light comes on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kled said:

Toyota (at least in Europe) "range to go" typically counts down to a "reserve" amount rather than to empty. Especially on a hybrid you don't want to run it dry so it is better that way. Having said that once you are aware you can take it into account.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your answers on this matter I just discovering the car an started to freak out when notice i only had 9 miles on it and it was dropping down really fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 2015 (65 reg) HSD Business Edition specification Auris.

Fuel range always quotes me 573 miles upon fill ups (always fully fill, never partially).

I have (without fail) always achieved above 450 miles (or above 50 mpg) regardless of driving style and conditions. Generally get around 58 to 63 mpg in mid summer, 50 to 55 mpg in harsh winter (and anything in between for mild conditions and seasons).

This week, I got the best range I have had in some time, considering conditions I have been driving in; 560 miles in 42.20 litres of fuel. I was taking a chance though, since I was driving on the reserve fuel for quite some distance (about 50-60 miles after hitting 0 miles / blank fuel range). It seems I could have driven further, but I didn't risk it (estimating close to 600 miles before completely hitting empty).

My driving style:

Generally calm, serene and fuel efficient.

Always have the car on 'Eco' mode (never on 'power' or 'normal' modes).

Try and use the Battery to accelerate or maintain set speed as much as I can (at 100 mpg).

Always use cruise control as much as I can to set the speed on motorways, dual-carriageways and long clear A roads; Set at 60 mph on motorways / dual-carriageways, 50 mph on single A roads. The reason I do this is so that there is some leeway on downhill sections of the roads, where the car can accelerate (using Battery power) up to the speed limit (or slightly above) and then that extra speed can be used on the following uphill or flat sections of the road with little or no use of ICE (in general, as above, to try and maintain at 100 mpg / Battery mode for as long as I can).

That is all I can remember, any other driving tips for better fuel efficiency appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Very Interesting that people have such widely varying strategies to drive the Hybrid.  Also interesting that some things work and some don't.  As some other folks on the board have said before, the car is basically designed so you don't have to pay too much attention to "economy strategies" the electronics are designed to sort things out for the best.  

I basically take very little care over how I drive my car for economy, other than rigorously observing speed limits, which I've done for years now.  Within limits, I accelerate the car quickly.  And funny thing is: I still get great economy.  On certain b-road / minor road trips, the majority of my driving,  can get easily into the 70's mpg.  Coming back is going from sea level up to almost 500ft above sea level, so invariably I'm recording less mpg, but still seem to scrape 58 or so this time of year - bit less in winter.  

Sometimes at the end of a trip the Battery is low, and if the next trip goes straight into slow traffic, you can take a long time to get back to 50mpg average, but you eventually do, and beyond. Very clever car, and the brains of this are actually quite old now!

I’m nudging 500 miles this month.

[emoji1303][emoji1303]

497 this tank full so think cold air plays a part on economy as normally around 420/440 

Had an Auris Hybrid 65 plate one and a half months but have done around 3000 miles so starting to get a good sense of the economy compared to when I posted earlier. Currently averaging 62 mpg from a tank (in miles this seems to be giving me 460-475 miles then refuelling to the pump click, I'm refuelling when the light comes on which seems to be when range to go is at about 50 ). Fuelly tells I'm getting 59mpg which seems consistent with the car's overestimation that people mention above. 

Car warming up is what seems to pull my average down - from leaving the house until about a mile into a journey my mpg is at around 24mpg and then it creeps back up. If it's a longer journey then not a problem but for shorter trips I'm sometimes ending up with a journey mpg of 40-50. 

Just traveled down the M55 12miles towards Lytham temp 16degs MPG showing 93.3 it’s a very flat run, on cruise @ 60mpg again fully loaded.

When choosing the hybrid I took the type of journey and the contour of the Land into account, my journeys are almost flat which benefits the hybrid at speed I often find the car running on electric, I’ve filled up Monday £41.00 so far traveled 116 miles and the needles not moved.

[emoji857][emoji857]

Ah yes but without hills you don’t get... 

5C03EEA2-B1C2-4B84-80A9-68F2590ED04D.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah yes but without hills you don’t get... 
5C03EEA2-B1C2-4B84-80A9-68F2590ED04D.thumb.jpeg.b83c5a1798288714d2caeeda5d05a184.jpeg

Quite true, I only like the downhill bits myself.

Went across country today rather than a motorway route, more undulating managed to stay around 3-4 bars.

• 3 weeks later...

Just done a quick MPG still about 11 lit left in tank or 122 miles.

B7616F4F-DF5F-4F2D-896C-7A4D7697C996.png

Not bad considering I was doing 70mph on the motorway except for a 6 miles of roadworks at 50mph and 3 miles of town work. A/C on for half of journey 

78663C37-298C-47F5-AA24-0B4514C9E802.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

My last two tank fills have had phenomenal mpg returns; 610 and 603 miles respectively in under 41.5 litres of fuel (about 66 to 67 mpg).

Hard to believe I still have had over 3 litres of fuel left remaining when I have driven past 50 miles on reserve / '0' miles range readout (but I dare not push it any further).

This car certainly loves the warm weather.

Changed up a gear now doing 65 mpg and returning 60mpg mixed with air con on and fully loaded.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, first post.

Great mileages you get. My wife owns 2015 Auris Hybrid since April, but I do half of driving :D Our average mileage in 3 months is 48,4 MPG (measuring fill-ups), and best I ever got in single trip according BC is around 67MPG.  Summer is warm here this year, ACC is constantly on and my wife makes lots of very short trips. So I'm quite happy our mileage.