Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid...how many mile from a full tank?

martin68

Another alteration to try to up MPG

Noticed that running 36psi according to the tyre pressure chart is the eco pressure, so I went ahead and pumped them all up,

We are fully loaded most of the time traveling motorway a half tank way point managed another 30 miles just through inflation.

Don’t think it will have a detrimental effect on the tyres as I say we are fully loaded down with our gear.

One thing I have noticed is the car will glide better and hold the speed better and for longer on electric.

[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my usual 1/2 way point is 300 miles increased tyre pressures to “ECO” @ 36 and my half way point has increased

1bc8c30b8dad49617b560810b4a2ee38.jpg&key=526ec822a9e28b0c818fb16da421bebedc3c6b41c99782c97a6063b5d5833b93

Not changed driving style and still fully loaded with gear.

If this is the case I will get one extra way to our place in Lytham [emoji905][emoji1303][emoji2][emoji2]

An extra 39 miles this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59.3..torquay to ealing and back..380 miles .. tank empty  yellow flashing light.. i expected more.. but will analyse the situation and see what i discover..

20180910_212357[1].jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just filled up my tank for the first time so can now start to see what I get. From the trip gauge I am usually getting between 50 & 55mpg, or so it says, lol. I will though assume that may be a little optimistic. 

I did, however, on the way home from the petrol station achieve, according to the gauge, 86.7 mpg! This was for a journey of 2.2 miles on 30 mph roads. The petrol station was also on my way home from work so the engine was warm and the Battery about 80% full at the start of the trip. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near this from a cold start and I also wouldn't suggest any one else should either. 

I am under no illusion that this is going to be in anyway typical. It certainly isn't likely to be a representative trip. However it does show what is possible in certain circumstances. In terms of driving style, I basically managed to keep it in electric mode for about 3/4 of the way home. Ok I know 2.2 miles isn't far but it was possible to do. The only time I used the gas was when accelerating from a start at lights and junctions, kept it in the upper eco zone for that so not aggressive acceleration but not holding anyone up either. once up to about 35 mph came off the gas to get the EV mode to engage then managed to just cruise at that for most of the trip with periods of coasting on the run in to junctions and traffic lights to get some extra charge in to the Battery on route. 

As I say, not a very typical trip and its very early days. It'll be interesting to see what I actually get when I next come to refill the tank and be able to do an accurate calculation. To be honest, i'm hoping for around 50mpg, so lets see what happens, lol.

8 hours ago, KrisM said:

Just filled up my tank for the first time so can now start to see what I get. From the trip gauge I am usually getting between 50 & 55mpg, or so it says, lol. I will though assume that may be a little optimistic. 

I did, however, on the way home from the petrol station achieve, according to the gauge, 86.7 mpg! This was for a journey of 2.2 miles on 30 mph roads. The petrol station was also on my way home from work so the engine was warm and the battery about 80% full at the start of the trip. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near this from a cold start and I also wouldn't suggest any one else should either.

Don't forget KrisM that the car calculates your average MPG on the mileage done after you have reset the mpg meter.  So, your short 30mph drive home would presumably have mostly been under electric drive only and used very little fuel.   If I refuel at my 'usual' station I then normally drive home about 4 miles via a fairly fast bypass which means the petrol engine is running most of the time, so for my first few miles the mpg reading leaps up and down from one extreme to the other until it starts to settle down.  You'll need to drive around 50 miles or so before your mpg meter shows a 'truer' reading.

My overall average displayed mpg since I bought my car in February 2017 has been 52mpg.   My self-calculated average mpg is 50mpg.  My driving tends to be mostly extra-urban so I suspect my usage is not best suited to a hybrid (and also includes quite a lot of very short local drives), but at least it's still giving a lot better mpg than my Fiesta ever did...

Thanks Andy, that was pretty much my understanding too. I reckon I managed about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way home from the petrol filling station on pure electric. Somewhere around the 50mpg mark is what I am expecting off the full the tank. Not really given it a long trip yet. So it'll be interesting to see how it does with a long motorway run. If I do manage to get around the mpg you've averaged then i shall be reasonably happy as that was similar to what I was getting in my diesel Nissan. All lot of my trips are into the middle of Manchester and back on the daily commute so hopefully the benefits of the hybrid will become apparent with those trips. 

Hi Kristian, although motorways and fast 'A' roads somewhat defeat the point of hybrids,  as I'm sure you know once you reach cruising speed you can maintain that speed with a very light foot on the throttle, which helps keep the mpg at a respectable level, and the electric drive works together with the engine.   On a trip to Canterbury via the M20 and M2 and a lot of other steady 'A' road driving I once achieved 61mpg.  Your commuting through urban Manchester should indeed suit your hybrid.  And being an automatic, it's a lot more relaxing to drive if you're in constant stop-start traffic.

I did however fit all-season tyres (Michelin CrossClimate) in August 2017, and since then my average mpg has slightly worsened, but not spectacularly so, but in hindsight I probably don't really need tyres like those in Sussex 🙂

On 10/9/2018 at 10:18 AM, Sir Jestalot said:

Don't forget KrisM that the car calculates your average MPG on the mileage done after you have reset the mpg meter.  So, your short 30mph drive home would presumably have mostly been under electric drive only and used very little fuel.   If I refuel at my 'usual' station I then normally drive home about 4 miles via a fairly fast bypass which means the petrol engine is running most of the time, so for my first few miles the mpg reading leaps up and down from one extreme to the other until it starts to settle down.  You'll need to drive around 50 miles or so before your mpg meter shows a 'truer' reading.

My overall average displayed mpg since I bought my car in February 2017 has been 52mpg.   My self-calculated average mpg is 50mpg.  My driving tends to be mostly extra-urban so I suspect my usage is not best suited to a hybrid (and also includes quite a lot of very short local drives), but at least it's still giving a lot better mpg than my Fiesta ever did...

My car is for a disabled driver (me). This means, I startup my car everytime I need to leave my house. Regardless of distance. Loads of "trips" being between 1.5 to 3 miles taking my son to school, going to the grocery store etc. On the other hand, me and my son often go visitting my parents in the weekend which is a 70 mile drive on A roads and motorway.

Been registering my mpg for over 50,000 Ks (see Spritmonitor average in my signature). Best ever full tank has been 63 mpg.