Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2008 1.8 vvti high idle on startup

Ebob01

Hi

I have an Avensis T251 08 plate 1.8 vvti. Car runs fine except on startup the engine idle speed is 2000 rpm before slowly settling down to around 600-700 rpm over the course of about 5 minutes. 

I have read other topics on this and others state that this is normal, and normal for petrol Japanese cars however I can't believe this is a design feature. Firstly it does not go into reverse as smoothly as when the idle speed has dropped. Secondly it's a little jerky when driving through traffic.

The previous owner has put a note in the log book to say the MAF was cleaned recently.

I've owned the car for a few months and this doesn't really affect my ability to use the car at all but it bugs me a bit. I think I might take it in to my local diagnostics place at some point.

Anybody got any ideas as to what this could be?

2k seems a bit high though these do idle high on start up until warm.check if your fan inside is switched off as this will cause it to idle high too (mines does in my 06 d4d).the gearbox could just need to be warmed up although it would be ideal if you change the gearbox fluid for good quality stuff (Toyota fluid).check and clean the throttle body and the pcv too.

• Like 1

I have a Vmatic engine and previously owned a 7AFE leanburn engine, and from cold both start at 2000 rpm and settle down to 600 - 700 rpm once warmed up. The Vmatic warms up very fast, whilst the leanburn was a bit slower to warm up. I always start driving after starting the engine. This warms up the engine faster and improves fuel economy. Winter is a little different as the interior and windows need to be warm and clear.

Also accessories like lights, heater/air-con fans increase loads on the electrics, which compensates by increasing rpm.

The point mentioned about getting into reverse at high rpm - the car must be stationary, and if the engine rpm is high, press the clutch, then wait a few seconds before engaging reverse. This gives time for the gear cogs to slow down and stop. I have seen people crunch the gears whilst selecting reverse after stopping sharply. Reverse gear does not have synchromesh like the forward gears.
If the engine is smooth, pulls well and good on fuel, then there is nothing wrong, but I am not the one driving the car. Apart from the initial high idle speed, the car should be okay. Good service with oil and filter change, air filter, spark plugs, good quality coolant. Also the clutch can be a factor. Since I had the clutch changed recently the car has been much better to drive. Basically there can be different driving characteristics between different cars.     

• Like 2

Thanks for your responses much appreciated. Sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. I knew the car has to be stopped before putting into reverse but I didn't know about waiting a second after pressing the clutch so I'll do that. So far I've been putting into reverse with the engine off and starting the car with the clutch in. It only takes a few minutes for the revs to come down, the car drives nice and fuel economy is good 😊

• Like 2

If you can get some miller's petrol ecomax fuel additive would also help with mpg and keeps it smooth along with cleaning properties 🖒

• Like 2

Try selecting a high forward gear, say 4th, before choosing reverse.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links