Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to hybrids and Prius, need pointers on a 2012 model

danowat

I'd imagine it's not much more than a physical inspection and plugging in their Techstream laptop into the OBD-II port. You can get all the cell voltages, etc. through that; and I think there's some test procedure similar to this: http://hybridassistant.blogspot.ie/p/hv-battery-check.html

• Like 1

Fingers crossed, it appears to be ok, computer reports between 65-70mpg per trip, and the car has only done 34k, so I'd like to think it will be fine, but who knows!

What specifically does the HHC do?, what do they check and look for, it takes 45mins, so it's a bit more involved than just whacking a multimeter on the battery!

It involves checking the internal resistance of each group of cells, on the certificate it has 3 checks listed.

The hybrid assistant would do the same sort of thing, Toyota will probably have a more complicated procedure and provides a more consistent result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

They won't offer the warranty if the HHC isn't 100%, so that'll be the deciding factor in whether I get one or not.

22 hours ago, danowat said:

The water is getting muddier, apparently as the last Toyota service was in 2014, has been serviced by an independent since, they first need to perform a Hybrid Health Check, if it passes, they can offer the warranty, if it does't (:-O) they can't!

That shouldn't prevent you from getting the Toyota Extended Warranty. It still has a few months of the original 5 year manufacturer's warranty left.  And it doesn't have to serviced by Toyota during the 5 year warranty period.  If it fails the hybrid health check, the 5 year warranty should cover you.

20 hours ago, danowat said:

Thanks.

They won't offer the warranty if the HHC isn't 100%, so that'll be the deciding factor in whether I get one or not.

Should be covered by existing 5 year warranty.

update:

The HV Battery has an 8 year warranty so will be well covered.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:59 AM, danowat said:

This was the blurb the guy sent me, no service plan, but an MOT failure package.

A Service plan is separate to the extended warranty.  So are MOT tests.  If you ask your dealer for an Extended Warranty quote, and a Service Plan quote (to cover the 2 years of the extended warranty) they might give some discount if you take both packages. No harm in asking.  My dealer added free MOT tests as well.  YMMV

If you're looking for a service plan, and the next service is due when the car is over five years old, the plan should be based on Toyota's Essential Care servicing, which is quite a bit cheaper than Toyota's fixed price servicing.

First fill up.

Computer said 67.4mpg overall for 506 miles.

35.84 litres to fill, so true mpg 64.1.

3.3mpg error in the computer reading sound about right?

38 minutes ago, danowat said:
First fill up.

Yes, some can be as much as 5 mpg out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, danowat said:

First fill up.

Normally around 5% out, so seems about right.

• 2 weeks later...

HHC passed fine, and 2 year extended sorted, so hopefully that'll be two years of hassle free motoring!!!, they also fixed the reversing beep, now only beeps once when putting into reverse, rather than the incessant beeping!, also saw 86mpg today on a short 18 mile journey, although that is an outlier, I usually get between 68 - 72, my avg has settled into about 69, can't see how I could better that? or should I be happy with that? officail figures are 70.8 avg, although we all know about official fuel consumption figures!

HHC passed fine, and 2 year extended sorted, so hopefully that'll be two years of hassle free motoring!!!, they also fixed the reversing beep, now only beeps once when putting into reverse, rather than the incessant beeping!, also saw 86mpg today on a short 18 mile journey, although that is an outlier, I usually get between 68 - 72, my avg has settled into about 69, can't see how I could better that? or should I be happy with that? officail figures are 70.8 avg, although we all know about official fuel consumption figures!

Hopefully more than 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2017 at 5:38 PM, danowat said:

my avg has settled into about 69, can't see how I could better that? or should I be happy with that? officail figures are 70.8 avg, although we all know about official fuel consumption figures!

Have a look on fuelly for real world mpg.  Don't forget to select UK settings (website defaults to US where the gallons are smaller).

http://www.fuelly.com

I find Spritmonitor good as well, a lot more European cars there:

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2010&constyear_e=2015&powerunit=2

5.05 l/100km (based on 670 owners) = 56 MPG (imperial)

So I think you're doing above average, but it varies greatly depending on driving habits.