Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air-Con Compressor with a hole in it

Hi iQ People... Went to a Halford's Auto Centre in Shrewsbury today to have the air-con system cleaned and re-gassed. Everything seemed to be going well until the mechanic came in and told the guy behind the desk that the system was leaking. Then he came in again later after more tests and said the compressor has a hole in the top of it. I knew this would be an expensive fix, but a quote for near on £600 -including the testing and re-gassing- knocked the breath out of me. It was almost like being told a friends dog had been killed.

So, I need to source another one -preferably brand new- so it can be fixed. We were warned not to have the AC switch on as it would bugger up the rest of it and then a bill of around £1500 would be decking me like being hit with a fish -as in the Monty Python fish slapping dance, using the larger fish of course.

Good news from this lot -every cloud- is that we did not get charged a penny. He explained why, but even though we were there for some time... let's just say it lifted the very dark cloud a little.

1 hour ago, bob809 said:

Hi iQ People... Went to a Halford's Auto Centre in Shrewsbury today to have the air-con system cleaned and re-gassed. Everything seemed to be going well until the mechanic came in and told the guy behind the desk that the system was leaking. Then he came in again later after more tests and said the compressor has a hole in the top of it. I knew this would be an expensive fix, but a quote for near on £600 -including the testing and re-gassing- knocked the breath out of me. It was almost like being told a friends dog had been killed.

So, I need to source another one -preferably brand new- so it can be fixed. We were warned not to have the AC switch on as it would bugger up the rest of it and then a bill of around £1500 would be decking me like being hit with a fish -as in the Monty Python fish slapping dance, using the larger fish of course.

Good news from this lot -every cloud- is that we did not get charged a penny. He explained why, but even though we were there for some time... let's just say it lifted the very dark cloud a little.

MY BAD It is not the Compressor, it is the Condenser that has a hole in it. So, the above should read like the below. Doe's anyone know the part number? For some reason could not edit my post.

Hi iQ People... Went to a Halford's Auto Centre in Shrewsbury today to have the air-con system cleaned and re-gassed. Everything seemed to be going well until the mechanic came in and told the guy behind the desk that the system was leaking. Then he came in again later after more tests and said the condenser has a hole in the top of it. I knew this would be an expensive fix, but a quote for £574.85 -including the testing and re-gassing- knocked the breath out of me. It was almost like being told a friends dog had been killed.

Bob, A mate used http://nationalaircon.com/ a few years back to replace the condenser on his Vectra. It was a lot cheaper than the Vauxhall price and they came to the house to do it. Worth a try.

Just asked him it was about £230 for new condenser on his Vectra, this was about 7 years ago though.

If it was my car I'd get one of these:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/condenser-10455/toyota/iq/iq-kpj1-ngj1-kgj1-nuj1/31142-1-0

Dependent on access I'd fit it myself and go back and get it regassed / oiled. A place near me does vac and regas/oil for 30 pounds.

Since all the gas is already gone the system should not be pressurised. Not really much different to changing a radiator. 

Usual caveats regarding safety etc apply.

Jez

• 1 month later...

UPDATE Okay, so, this was totally my bad for listening to my wife and going for an economy air-con refill, at Halfords. My bad because I should have gone to Mr T in the first place, my dealer being W.R. Davies based in Shrewsbury. I will admit though that at £80 plus for them (Mr T) to look at the air-con and fill it, clean it etc seemed too much for my budget. So, off to Halfords, where, as described above, they claimed the condenser had a leak in the top of it.

Those of you that are familiar with the positioning of the condenser will likely know if the top of it is visible without removing anything, it was also up on a ramp. So, benefit of the doubt from me and Mr. T at the moment. If, down the line/road, after 6 months of it working, as it is now after a number of tests to see it still works and is not leaking -4 tests done- then I will be complaining to Halfords about trying to swing some more business their way under false pretences. So, for £59 -matches price from Halfords- I shoulda just gone there in the first place. Ya live and learn. :bangin:

From earlier this year, air con in all new cars must be filled with a different gas - R1244yf. Currently re-gas costs using  this gas are at least £150-200.

I'm sure my Toyota dealer charged me about £50 for regass and deoderise? just checked reciept £49.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

you were lucky man, I paid 110 last year at my local T dealer