Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 spare key

Martin227474

Hi everyone I have just bought a Toyota Rav4 2006 xt3 D-4D but it has only come with one key, how can I get a new replacement key ? I contacted with my local car locksmith and he wanted £260 +VAT. Any ideas how can I get cheaper? Thank you 

I got mine by the DIY route for much less.

I bought the key from Car Keys Online and programmed it into the car immobiliser system with a Toyota Techstream cable and software.  This process enables you to eliminate any lost keys from the system memory.  The remote locking/alarm function was done using instructions I found on YouTube.

See this thread and this one for more details.

On review, the Techstream link I provided does not appear to supply the software.  This one does.

• 3 years later...

Your locksmith is taking the proverbial. If you read the manual (I know, the shame!), it tells you how to code in an additional key from memory, I remember having to do it on the XTR before I rescued it. I nicked the transponder/remote out of an old RAV key from eBay, followed the pairing process, had a new blade cut using a photo of the key by an online key cutting place (Timpsons is about £12 if you are in a hurry) and away you go. Total bill was just over £20 from memory. To do this you need a working master key, not the valet key. In extreme cases ‘other’ options exist.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new genuine transponder Toyota key from e-bay for £29.99 and then the local cobblers coded it for £40.

So about £70 all in for a genuine working key 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links