Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre wear on Gen 2 T-Spirit

Sooty

Hi, I have noticed recently upon checking the paperwork after the MOT and 90K service that it is mentioned that the inner tread on all tyres have worn more than the rest of the tyres.

Have any of you noticed this? Is this normal?

I suspect that it could be the camber on all four wheels as set up by manufacture.

I would be very interested to know if this is normal.

Many thanks.

Tyre pressures could be too low. Usually low tyre pressures would cause wear on both edges of the tyres but on some cars the inner edge goes first. 

Could also be weak springs, depending on mileage.

Thanks Keith. I have had the tyre pressures 1 or 2 PSI above the recommended pressure for fuel economy reasons.

Would have thought that the MOT or service would have picked up weak springs though.

Could be the tracking slightly out?

When I got my plugin it had brand new tyres on the front wheels.  After a couple of weeks, they were wearing very badly on the outer edgse. So much so that there were lumps of rubber coming away.  Went straight to my local tyre shop who put it on the machine and couldn't believe how much the tracking was out.  

If it was tracking, wouldn't only the front wheels have the wear on the same edge.

All 4 tyres have the same wear on the inner side.

This is what makes me think it is the camber as set up during manufacture.

I put new tyres on the front a couple of years ago, possibly 25 -30 K miles ago. They have minimal wear over the rest of the tread and the rears have done at least 50K on them.

I am due to renew the rear ones soon due to age and getting low, so can't complain about that.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the wear only on the inner edges on ALL 4 tyres.

MOT doesn't check the strength of the springs it just checks if they're broken. loose or rusted through.

Thanks for your input Peeps.