Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended warranty worth it?

Jezclax

I'm sure this has been done many times but is an extended warranty worth the money?

Dealer is offering two years for just over 500 - (528 from memory). I know this includes breakdown cover but there seem to be so many exclusions for parts that fail due to "wear and tear" and are not included in the MOT failure guarantee.e.g. I don't think the ARB link that was an advisory on my last MOT would be covered if it had failed the test. I guess most bushings, shocks, springs would fall into this category. 

Harder to find what is covered rather than what is excluded. 

I'm not a high mileage driver - maybe 5000 a year tops. Toyota breakdown cover, again from memory, was about 70-80 pounds a year.

Jez

Effectively you're getting two years cover for around £384 (extended warranty less the Roadside Assistance) - £192 annually.

What is covered/not covered is outlined on the website - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty.json   No warranty covers against wear and tear - whether that is an extended warranty of a new car warranty. Having had experience of a Honda extended warranty, they will include bushes within the suspension category - and we had the bushes replaced on our Honda under the MOT insurance part of the extended warranty without quibble.

Yes - you will have to have the car serviced by a Toyota dealer during the warranty period, but as your car is over five years old, that can be done under the Essential Care scheme (around £100 for a silver service (intermediate) and around £180 for a gold service (full)).

At the end of the day it is a personal choice.

As Mike mentions, it is down to personal choice, but consider this, you are driving a car made by one of the most reliable manufacturers in the world.

I reckon any future repairs wouldn't be anything unexpected, or expensive.

ARB links, whilst unlikely to be covered, can be bought and fitted for peanuts by any independant garage. The usual MOT failures, rusty brake lines, handbrake inefficiency, blowing exhaust, likewise.

Why not just purchase the AA cover from the Toyota website, think you get a discount. Then put the remaining money, that you would have spent on the warranty, in a pot. If you need to dip in for simple repairs, so be it, but after a few years, you may find you haven't needed to use it. Then you could use that cash for a deposit on another car etc...

My opinion? Go for it.

From memory...

Alternator failure at 85,000 miles / 8 years - covered

Clutch making a rattling noise at 58,000 / 5 years - covered

Air con making a rattle when engine idling at 80,000 / 7 years - covered

Drivers door seal leaking water - covered

Thermostat housing o-ring - 76,000 - 7 years - covered

Intermediate steering shaft due to knocking on steering - 72,000 - 7 years - covered

DPF sensor pipes blocked - 55,000miles / 5 years - covered

I never had an issue with rejected claims and as you can see a lot weren't even failures they were rattles/knocking. Do however note - that for a lot of the above issues Toyota had released technical service bulletins (I think this was the term...)  for them which 'authenticated' the issues which could be a reason why my dealer had no issues claiming.