Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen

the fox

I don't post much any more, nothing good to say really, still got my Rav4 2.2 2007 model, On Sunday I had a new windscreen fitted by Auto Glass, what a job, the windscreen was the original one I have owned the vehicle from new. The original windscreen was fitted 5mm to far over towards the passengers side it just covered part of the plastic trim that holds the plastic cover on the A frame, the cutting wire used to remove the screen could not be used without it also cutting the plastic trim. The quality inspection must have been asleep when they fitted the original screen. Poor

I hope your new screen is all OK.  Did Auto Glass charge you any extra becuase of the hassle of removing the old misplaced screen? 

Well... I am sure that their are many new Toyota ownners on here that can beifit from your long-term Toyota experiance... so you should post more Mr. Fox :)

Just a thought... and speaking of long term Toyota ownership; mine will soon be coming up for twenty years old (still under 95,000 miles though). I used to be an MOT inspector many years ago, but I was wondering if twenty year old vehicles now get any sort of dispensation or allowances on MOT emissions and things like that.. perhaps some current MOT inspectors may have an answer on that? 

I can't see that a twenty year old engine, even if in pristine condition, can equal a modern engine for emissions etc.

I think that's wishful thinking.  The standards applicable when the car was new continue through the life of the car, so it does not have to meet the standards a modern engine does.  The government wishes to meet its "clean air" target, and if older cars can't make their standard and have to be scrapped, they will perceive that as a plus.

The windscreen was done via the insurance so it just took him longer, he was very surprised to find it so badly fitted, at first he thought it was a replacement and been badly fitted, but when he checked it was labelled Toyota, and I was the first owner so I knew it was original. I stopped posting ages ago, I found a lot of Toyota owners a bit blinkered with there vehicles and the service they received from dealers. I'm well known for my negative comments on Rav4's but when you need a new engine, new egr valve, new electric steering ecu which actually locked the steering at 60 mph, plus more and more you end up not having anything nice to say. The wife's Rav4 was given to the son-in-law it recently dumped a load of diesel over his drive, rotten fuel filler pipe and I mean rotten..... How many other 4x4's suffer with rotten fuel filler pipe at this age?

To add the wife bought a Mitsubishi phev, it's been 100%  

• 2 weeks later...

(I did a search on "fuel filler" to find this...)

I was at a Sainsbury's petrol station, putting petrol into my RAV-4, and suddenly the pump cut out. I knew it couldn't be because the tank was full; it was almost empty.

Then one of the employees came out of their hutch to tell me that they had turned off the pump because they could see petrol pouring out from under my vehicle. I had just enough fuel left to get home.

The steel pipe had rusted right through and parted company with the rubber connection to the fuel tank. I guess that it had been quietly corroding for a long time, and then suddenly broke off (given that this was the first event of any leakage.)

I call it a design flaw. The pipe is in the wheel well, covered by a plastic plate, presumably to protect against stone chips. But when I took out the plastic bit, the rusty pipe was packed in wet mud, which is not known for its anti-corrosive properties. If your car's as old as mine (2004) it might be worth taking off the back wheel and cover plate and having a look.

rav4-fuel-pipe-fixed.jpg

rav4-fuel-pipe.jpg

looks great from a great manufacturer, you have done well really with it being 2004 model, mines is a 2007 and the wife's was 2006 both been well looked after, but both got badly corroded fuel pipes, my opinion not good enough Mr T.

How much was the new pipe?

On 10/07/2017 at 10:28 AM, the fox said:

The wife's Rav4 was given to the son-in-law it recently dumped a load of diesel over his drive, rotten fuel filler pipe and I mean rotten..... How many other 4x4's suffer with rotten fuel filler pipe at this age?

My Dad owned a 2005 Freelander and due to either a shoddy repair or shoddy building in the first place (likely the latter) the two air con pipes rubbed across the two diesel fuel lines so it was happily piddling it's diesel all over the place. Only found out about it when we got back to the 4x4 and noticed a big puddle of liquid under the car. We were also on holiday at the time, think it cost €250 to fix it.

1 hour ago, Steve Graham said:

...the pump because they could see petrol pouring out from under my vehicle. I had just enough fuel left to get home.

Parked up behind a new Discovery (do you see a theme?) and the guy in front was fillind his Disco and it was just pouring out the bottom. I went up to him and asked if he knew what he was doing, he said the same as you. The pump kept clicking but the car said it was empty. I asked him how long he had it and he said "10 minutes". He had driven it off the forecourt and decided to fill it up as it was empty. A brand new Discovery and the fuel filler wasn't connected and the fuel gauge was broken.

But your milleage may vary with non-Land Rover cars.