Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake backing plate (dustcover)

BabyBee

Hi, new to this and new rav4 owner. I'm looking for a bit of advice for my 02 RAV4, nrg vvti.

The near side rear brake backing plate has rusted through and basically had to stop and pull it off mid journey. I've had a look for the part but can't seem to find it on it's own and looking further into it I've seen people suggesting to remove them anyway as they are known to rust and it won't effect the car. Being that I have very little knowledge of the car I have no idea what to do. Should I take it to a garage to get the part and fix it or is it okay to run without? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

B

Mine was making a loud ticking noise and my trusted mechanic removed it.  He, too, said it is unnecessary.  I'm happy with that.

Anyway, it does not seem to be in the Toyota EPC, so it is probably unobtainable from Toyota Parts.

• Like 1

I took mine off, (as they rusted) some years ago with no issues.

Someone on here did get a quote for replacements from Toyota and they were asking really stupid money, even by Toyota standards! It means stripping the hub ends to change (big job) and it's quite satisfactory to run without them.

Happy motoring!,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IanML said:

Mine was making a loud ticking noise and my trusted mechanic removed it.  He, too, said it is unnecessary.  I'm happy with that.

Anyway, it does not seem to be in the Toyota EPC, so it is probably unobtainable from Toyota Parts.

The part is available however it is more than just a backing plate it comes as part of an assembly which includes the closing/support plate for the rear parking brake shoes and it is not cheap 

mk2 Rav4 rear backing plate.png

• Like 1

The backplates rust off beyond the parking brake support plate, leaving that in place, hence no difficulty in assembling the parking brake shoe's retention pins.

I did this exercise some years ago and the vehicle is fine without the flimsy bits of pressed metal which are supposed to keep the discs clean!

On 7/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, Devon Aygo said:

The part is available however it is more than just a backing plate it comes as part of an assembly which includes the closing/support plate for the rear parking brake shoes and it is not cheap 

mk2 Rav4 rear backing plate.png

Thanks, that explains it.

• 4 months later...

Mine has just rusted off and the price is extortionate as others have said c. £470 + 2 hours labour

I have been informed that it will now fail the MOT if it is removed.

Any views on that from those that have removed them in the past?

As stated earlier, I removed the outer elements of these backing plates several years ago, They had partially rusted through and I simply removed the rusted segments to avoid any further issues.

My RAV must have passed its MOT for five years now with no mention of backplates, though I go to a 'proper' garage for my MOT's, not a chrome & plastic dealership with TOYOTA over the door!  Be warned!!!!

Agreed.  If you get the guards removed neatly on both sides, and don't go to a Toyota dealer for your MOT, the tester will likely:

a)  not notice

b)  not care anyway.

Thanks for the replies. Flea bay have them at £230 but probably not going to bother fitting.

Aparently there have been recent changes to the MOT which is what flagged it to my attention. 

A guy at an independent garage confirms that so long as the corrosion on what's left of the plate isn't detrimental to the function of the brakes he'd pass it. 

He will have a look to check. Apparently he'd seen similar issues before on BMW's.

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst investigating a dragging noise that ended up being my heat shield rubbing on the prop shaft, I also found that both rear dust plates had basically disintegrated. I just ripped off the worst bits and won’t be replacing them.

• Like 1