Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch issue

121CruiserMAN

Recently my clutch has become very soft and requires pumping a good few times before it 'feels' like a clutch and then engages. If left for a few minutes its back at almost an inch away from the floor?

I'm not sure if your clutch is hydraulic or cable operated - but the symptoms you describe sound like air in the hydraulic system, or a leak.

• Like 1

Its hydraulic and apparantly share the same 'cylinder' as the brakes according to my local indy. However not noticed the levels dropping...

I did my usual digging and can confirm that the clutch is hydraulically operated. using the japan parts site for the diagrams as follows:- 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/urban-cruiser/nlp115r-ahfnxw/2_117520_007_399W/powertrain-chassis/3105_clutch-release-cylinder

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/urban-cruiser/nlp115r-ahfnxw/2_117520_007_399W/powertrain-chassis/3102_clutch-pedal-flexible-hose/2

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/urban-cruiser/nlp115r-ahfnxw/2_117520_007_399W/powertrain-chassis/3103_clutch-master-cylinder

The good news is there are only two major parts that may be leaking, and any connections that may be leaking. The bad news is if the clutch release cylinder is leaking, it is a gearbox off job. This is because Toyota changed to this release bearing with the slave cylinder incorporated! 

Here is my clutch release cylinder (I call it concentric slave bearing) before the clutch replacement. 

20170427_152204.thumb.jpg.536d283d20a9de0f80c633e1f86c00d6.jpg

It is best to change the concentric slave bearing during the clutch replacement. If it is leaking, the clutch could be contaminated. The previous system of an external slave cylinder was much simpler. Lets hope it is the master cylinder. 

• Like 1

Cheers pal you are a star !

I will fwd this on to my mechanic and get him to investigate.

Don't forget any progress report and costs ,thanks

Will do. However it seems to be a occasional problem. Last time it lasted for a week or so then sorted itself out and now its been like this for 2 days however my indy guy is on holiday and returns in a couple of weeks. Will update as and when..

17 minutes ago, 121CruiserMAN said:

Will do. However it seems to be a occasional problem. Last time it lasted for a week or so then sorted itself out and now its been like this for 2 days however my indy guy is on holiday and returns in a couple of weeks. Will update as and when..

Maybe the linkage is a bit sticky and requires lubing, if that is indeed possible on these cars.

• 4 years later...

Hello! Have the same problem on an Urban Cruiser here. Did you sort this problem?:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links