Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tips on buying a MK3 Rav4.

Gumper

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a cheapish early Rav4 mk3.  Found a XT5 2006 with d4d engine with over 120k on the clock.

I've had a good look round it and physically looks really good. Slight oil leak around rocker cover. If I test drive it what should I check, look out or listen for?

Also is there any way to check if the head gasket issue has been rectified?

All so, what's it worth?

cheers.

Hi, Gumper, I have a Rav but a 2012 one. Toyota made a bad batch of engines from 2006 to 2008/9. The repair cost is about £7000. Take the reg number/chassis number to a Toyota dealer to get them to look up what work it has done and see if the engine has been replaced, if it hasn't then leave well alone, that is my advise. This applies to diesel engines only. Mike.

• Like 2

Been in touch with Toyota about 2 4.3. Local dealer helped with the info on 1 car as it is local, no record of any engine replacement in it's 127k mile history.

The nation number had no record of the other ?  You'd think that somewhere there would be a database of Toyota's that had the engine sorted.

Oh well........keep looking I suppose.

Hi Gumper. The problem with the engines was they were very prone to head gasket failure causing mostly over heating as the tolerances between the cylinder head and the block was too tight and the heads can't be skimmed. Even dealer repaired engines used to re-fail so the only answer is a complete new factory built engine. Toyota were good and fitted new engines FOC but within a certain a time frame or a certain mileage and I believe you are way out of warranty. I doubt if you want to cough up a very probable £7000 so just walk away from it my friend. Mike.

They should be able to tell you if it has had the 3/4 engine or engine rebuild (new rings etc), Parklands spotted mine on the history, if it's not had it done walk away. 

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the sound advice guys. Decided to play it safe and up my budget and go for a facelifted (fuel saving over the years is a plus)mk3, 2010-11....more questions coming up.

I understand some where only 2wd, what's the deal with that?

Is the SR model only available with the auto box?

I see that there are 2 diesel engine options, D4D and D-CAT, what's the difference and is either one better, do they have the same output in terms of power and is the torque curve the same.

I'm wanting a high spec'd AWD diesel model, for my daily commute (60miles, rural roads, all year) and for towing a caravan.  I read up on the reviews and things start to get muddled.

Thanks.

IIRC the D-Cat were the ones with Toyota's DPF stuff the D4D only had the EGR.  Not sure when they all got DPF's though.... 

I'm wanting a high spec'd AWD diesel model, for my daily commute (60miles, rural roads, all year) and for towing a caravan.  I read up on the reviews and things start to get muddled.

IMHO wouldn't you be better off with an XT-4? Just because of the spare wheel on the back rather than the run flats/gunk inflation kit. One of the reasons I didn't look for the higher specs one... RAV XT4 is luxury compared to my Mk1 Yaris XT-3...simple to add cruse control as well.

Not sure what the MPG is like on the later ones mines doing between 43-44 at the moment with a mix of town, rural and short dual carriage way runs.  

Cheers, Steve

41 minutes ago, Gumper said:

Thanks for the sound advice guys. Decided to play it safe and up my budget and go for a facelifted (fuel saving over the years is a plus)mk3, 2010-11....more questions coming up.

I understand some where only 2wd, what's the deal with that?

Is the SR model only available with the auto box?

I see that there are 2 diesel engine options, D4D and D-CAT, what's the difference and is either one better, do they have the same output in terms of power and is the torque curve the same.

Thanks.

2wd saves a fair amount of fuel compared to 4wd (and it's cheaper to make / buy) but I've never really seen the point of a 2wd RAV4 ...

If you are looking at the 4.3.5 post 2010 models with the revised 150bhp 2.2l diesel then yes, AFAIK the SR is auto only and comes with the D-CAT version of that engine. The auto box is superb - mine is simply the next generation of that engine / drive combo. Fuel consumption in the SR is a little disappointing and the one thing folk moan about. Check real / true mpg for figures before buying - IIRC you will be looking at low 30s mpg  ...

If you want a manual, you are looking at the XTR and then more attention needs to be paid to the options fitted.

As said above, the D-CAT indicates emission control kit fitted. The D-CAT version of the engine featured in the pre-facelift T180 and SR180 models (177 bhp) and on the post-facelift SR (150 bhp).

Hi Gumper. Just some advise for you but i cannot answer all of your questions.

I personally have a late 2012 D-Cat 150. High trim level compared to some others being a D-Cat. It has a 6 speed automatic gearbox which is silky smooth and you can hardly feel any gear changes. You may think it is slow but i promise you it goes very well, possibly not as fast as a 180 model as i haven't driven a 180 model.

If you are looking for a manual Rav 4 i do not know which models only come in manual form but i do know if you need to have a clutch replaced is very expensive. Yes there are 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive variants, personally i'd ask a dealer if i were you by the reg/chassis number.

So the 4 wheel drive variants pull away in 4 wheel drive but at 24 mph they change to 2 wheel drive only as it has a special 'gismo' in the drive chain that is very reliable to give a more comfortable drive but should the car start spinning the wheels when changed to 2 wheel drive the car automatically reverts to 4 wheel drive to get you 'out of trouble' but i am saying the car is not 4 wheel drive all the time and 24 mph is the change over point this also makes the car more economical and a smoother ride.

The fuel consumation is more than you'd think achieving in the low 30 plus mpg's, the best i have managed is 36 mpg. The car needs a decent run, at least once a week or it blocks up a part in the exhaust system which will cause running problems. A Rav is not permanent 4 wheel drive car unlike other makes of cars. Mike

Toyota introduced the 2 wheel drive Rav4 in 2010 originally as an entry level model.

Some people don't need 4 wheel drive or don't want the fuel economy penalty of 4 wheel drive, but want the space of something like the Rav4. 

Since then the availability of 2 wheel drive on the Rav4 has been extended - with the 2017 Rav4, 60% of versions on sale in the UK  are front wheel drive and 40% four wheel drive.

AWD facelift with a manual box it is then.  Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

The only time I see me using the 4wd will be dragging my caravan off a muddy camp site........Donnington park is usually a mare when we go bike racing.  And on the off chance we have a decent winter like we had in 2010.  

I've never fancied an auto box, id end up hitting the stop peddle looking for the clutch.

Not keen on not having a spare wheel either, but that's the thing these days.  My look to fit a prefacelift rear door with a spare on it.

Sure the updated d4d will be plenty, but if I desire extra torque a remap isn't bad

I'm happy to forego satnav, factory fit can be expensive to update and are not always upto par. I can fit a new head unit with phone connectivity so I can use google/apple maps.....find GMaps better than my wife's all singing Garmin, especially foe live traffic.  Plus I can upgrade to DAB+ and fit a rear view camera too (run a wire in as I'm installing the tow bar electrics).

Post face lift AWD XT-R 150 with 70-100k on the clock are nicely within budget.

I'll let you know how I get on

Hii Gumper. You don't really have to go to the trouble of changing the rear door re the spare wheel, I just bought a new wheel and tyre from a Toyota dealer and lay it on the floor of the 'boot' area and I know others stand it upright behind the rear seats, split 60/40 and a side to side 'curtain' metal cross bar that retains the boot cover to stop people looking in what you keep in the rear section, a new factory OE wheel and tyre costs a tad less than £400 plus if you damage one of the alloys of your working wheels your can always leave the damaged one with a Toyota dealer for a refurb, about £70 if scratched wheels are an issue with you. Auto gearboxes do have a shift lock but I must admit I have never used mine as I don't tow anything. The sat nav (I don't know how good Garmin are) and bluetooth for your phone on a D-cat work really well and incidentally the brakes on Rav's work very well too. Mike.

Almost considering an auto SR......fuel economy is a concern.

so new question, with the auto box does using the flappy paddle as manual box improve economy?

What is the difference in consumption between a manual box, fully auto and in paddle mode?

Can a remap or chip really help with the economy or is it just hype?

I average about 20k miles a year, not huge, but saving a few pennies each week mounts up over time.

cheers.

Had quite a good day, viewed 4 4.3s and test drove a 4.3.1 & a 4.3.2, all honesty I prefered the pre facelifts with side steps and a bar, but enjoyed the face lift model for it's engine.

Did a little research and found some of the pre facelift models 2009-2010 had the 150bhp lump, full leather, satnav and sunroof.........so now that's what I'm after.

There's a few about but for some reason most are up t'north.......my quest continues.

I had a 59 plate XTR with the 150 engine and that one did not have a DPF. 

Around 2010 / 2011 they brought out a facelift model with a redesigned grill/bumper and I think that's when the DPF was added. 

Never had a problem with that car in the 4 years I had it and I towed a big caravan thousands of miles with it. Other than servicing (which I did myself), tyres, brakes and a new Battery last winter it never cost me a penny.

I just hope my 4.4 is as good but my knees are knacked and now this one will be serviced at the dealers.

Keith

did it have a sun roof, the ones I can find don't have.

No it didnt have a sunroof. 

• Like 1

Thank you, looks like none of the 150 pre facelift models did :huh:

What was the problem with the 134hp apart from 16hp down? The XT5 would seem to fit the bill, as long as you checked before hand with Toyota it's been back for the engine rebuild it should be a fairly reliable car, I'm averaging 44mpg on a mix of Dual Carriage way, A/B roads and in town, thats with the hills we have down here. The 50 mile trip after buying the car down the A30 I was up in the 50's, taking the wife to work soon dropped that.... 

nothing wrong with the xt5 134 at all. The 150 allegedly returns about 10% more mpg.  Test drove a xt5 yesterday, very nice. No record of an engine change/rebuild in it's history.

Allegedly... 

Mine has nothing in the service book of the engine rebuild, I had to call a Toyota service centre who checked the details and confirmed it was rebuilt, they just needed the reg. 

1 hour ago, 2StrokeSteve said:

Allegedly... 

Mine has nothing in the service book of the engine rebuild, I had to call a Toyota service centre who checked the details and confirmed it was rebuilt, they just needed the reg. 

It wouldn't as it's warranty work rather than service. Even with the exchange engines afaik they changed the engine nos. appropriately.

the XT5 was a local car, phoned my local Toyota dealership and they had done all of the early years work, no info on the engine at all