Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thread locked??

Boom boom

I was just reading theSat nav hack thread and all of a sudden it was locked for thinking about doing something illegal. The op just tried doing a cheap work around , I don't think he was trying to rob anything.

• Like 1

The thread was locked on June 22nd, and you've answered your own question as to why.

• Like 1

I don't understand how you can "hack" your way to sat nav? The unit is a physically seperate device, and you either have it, or you don't.

The only thing I can think of is it is coded to the car...

• Like 1

The original thread's poster quite clearly knew it was dodgy and I don't think he wanted to know just for a cheap work around.

17 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

The original thread's poster quite clearly knew it was dodgy and I don't think he wanted to know just for a cheap work around.

Oh.......

49 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Oh.......

Yep, I'm all for hacking things and getting old things to do new things and what not, but even when reading the thread the guy just screamed dodgy. 

• Like 1

But illegal though?? How is modifying your own car against the law?

The very worst anyone is likely to do is void their warranty, which would be entirely their own fault. I think there's an element of paranoia here....

I suspect it is because somehow the unit is linked to the car's chips, that's why we see some infos such as MPG, trip data etc from there, and according to some hackers (yes, the real ones), they can hack into the system and start doing some funny things to your car such as cutting the ignition when it is on a move or interfering the central locking system somehow? And of course, Toyota wants all of us to pay the extra few hundred pounds just to have the out of date SatNav, that is also why Mirrorlink does not work anymore? Maybe?

The thread in question was going nowhere.

The OP has a 2017 Yaris which comes with Toyota Safety Sense - one of the functions of TSS is the ability to display speed limits and as far as I'm aware isn't a GPS based system. The OP was informed they had to buy the sat nav module to gain satellite navigation, but still persisted in asking about a hack.

Back in 2015, only some models of TSS could read road signs, but I don't think the Yaris was one of them.

Not sure if has been added now, as it has the new instrument cluster where that info would be displayed.

EDIT: Yes it does (2017 onwards):

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/156154/updated-2017-toyota-yaris-boasts-enhanced-safety-and-sharper-looks

Every Yaris is fitted with the Toyota Safety Sense system, which includes autonomous emergency braking, auto-dipping headlights and lane-keeping assistance. Icon models and above also now feature traffic-sign recognition.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links