Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 4 park assist

barrycoll

I havnt had much success using IPA for a parallel parking space on the right hand side of the road........is it dependant on the traffic indicator signal, or on its sensors?

And the same with 'back in' parking. 

What is the trick to use one side or the other??????

It just uses the sensors but you have to be within 1m of the cars you're parking next to. When parallel parking you have to select assist before you get to a space and it will search, which means if you're parking on the right you have drive along the right hand side of the road within 1m of the parked vehicles. 

I had park assist on our gen 3 Prius T Spirit.  Never  got to grips  using it, that is why I bought a Gen 4 business edition. Did not see the point in paying a lot more for the Excel.

The park assist in the Gen 4 is a lot better than the Gen 3 was, it's quicker as it uses the sensors rather than having to (slowly) adjust a green square on the screen.  

35 minutes ago, Chris Dance said:

...Did not see the point in paying a lot more for the Excel.

It was £1½k over the Business Plus, and the main reason I wanted the Excel was the leather upholstery.

On the Gen 3 that alone was a £1½k extra on the lesser models, but it wasn't optional on lower specs on the Gen 4.

There was nothing else I especially wanted on the Excel, but it did come with the 3 years free SatNav updates (worth every penny! [of the 'free' bit])

The rain sensing wipers are the first I can live with, but only just.  At least there's now an option now to have the dealer disable it - but why the user can't have a menu option for this is beyond me.

I usually always go for the top spec model when I buy a car. I too wanted leather, but also the JBL stereo and the rain sensing wipers which I find work great for me. 

Got £5,500 off mine so it was a relative bargain 👍

23 minutes ago, Harters said:

I usually always go for the top spec model when I buy a car. I too wanted leather, but also the JBL stereo and the rain sensing wipers which I find work great for me. 

Got £5,500 off mine so it was a relative bargain 👍

Me too, no point (for me) in buying a lesser spec then wishing I had this and that features afterwards. I got a price match from the dealer, with quotes I'd printed out from the internet, an excellent part-ex on my Prius+ and they had some stock so I didn't have to wait.

When I purchased the business edition Gen 4 I had the latest Sat/Nav fitted with 3 years free updates and rear sensors.It also has a spare wheel.

Leather upholstery is good but was not an essential. The car has the same safety spec as the Excel model that is why I considered it a better purchase.

Forgot to mention, I got a space saver spare and all the associated bits that go under the boot floor, to replace the gunk kit, as part of the deal.

Thanks Keith....maybe it is the 1 meter proximity to the space that I am 'failing' on.

...but how does that work in a supermarket -back -in car park, where the space could be on either side of the aisle??

Do I press the button Twice, and then drive up and down ...hopefully.

Then give up, and do it as I have done for the last 50 years (groan)

Barry, I would suggest leaving the car outside and not go driving up and down the supermarket aisles, you're likely to get trolley rash doing that. :laugh:

Back to the car park, I don't think it searches for back-in parking spaces, you just stop alongside (perpendicular to and within 1m of) the space you want to go into and press the button twice. If there are spaces opposite each other it will go for the one you're nearest to. It will work if there is at least one car in one of the adjacent spaces or with one either side but not if there are no cars to detect and align itself to. :cool:

When you say perpendicular dera Keith, I imagine (but am not sure) that you mean "at right angles to".....90'?

Perpendicular suggests a spatial relationship which could mean upending an at present un-trolleyed Gen 4

Yes (not ready for take off)

Like this:

parking perpendicular.jpg

Not this: 

oops.jpg

• Like 3

Now there's a fresh take on how to create more parking spaces, although, admittedly, loading the shopping in the boot might prove a tad tricky!

Not to mention getting the mother-in-law out of the back seat.....

• Like 1

Is that the Ryan Air long stay car park?

• Like 1

Excellent graphics Keith....especially especially space-limited perpendicular parking ......

probably part of coming-soon autonomous drive tech package from Mr T.

• Like 1

Great video, definitely people will find it helpful as I had my struggles with this feature as well at the beginning.

Nicely spotted Keith.....many thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links