Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Plans

Steve Whits

Having spoken to my local Toyota Dealer they have offered me a 3 year service plan with 1 free MOT which works out £40 cheaper than paying on the day.  Just wondering if anyone has managed to get it down much by signing up.

The main point about service plans is that they fix your costs for the duration of the plan.

Prior to last year, Toyota servicing had various maintenance options that weren't included as part of the service (eg. brake fluid change at 2 years). One then had more scope to negotiate what was included within a service plan (eg. free brake fluid change).

Ideally the service plan should be based on Toyota's fixed price servicing, which should be the maximum that dealers charge - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

In 2016 Toyota revised their service schedules, increased prices, but incorporated most of the previous maintenance options into the services. So the only real negotiation points now are MOT's and service costs (if the dealer is willing to reduce on the fixed price service costs).

I had to cancel mine when i told them i do more than 15k miles a year. Basically I cant service the car more than twice a year. so useless plan.

24 minutes ago, Perfection said:

I had to cancel mine when i told them i do more than 15k miles a year. Basically I cant service the car more than twice a year. so useless plan.

I only do 7000 miles a year so thats not a problem for me. Online service plan is showing £705 and garage is quoting £778 which includes 3 MOT's as well so about right.  I want the incessant reverse camera beep turned off so that it's just the one beep so may go and ask them to do it for free if I sign up

34 minutes ago, Perfection said:

There should be a variety of plans to cater for different annual mileages/tailor to individual needs.

49 minutes ago, Perfection said:

Service plans can be tailored to either the time based service regime (every 12 months) or the mileage based service regime (every 10,000 miles). 

The dealership said they'd quote me for a service plan. I said I did 15k a year,they never got back to me,probably for the same reason.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have signed up to a service plan tonight. Works out at £699 for the next 3 services which is a £30 discount on the service cost but they have also included 3 free MOT's and also sorted out the reverse camera bleeps for me which some dealers appear to charge for.  So including the MOT's that works out at a £135 saving had I paid on the day.  The payment is a monthly plan and if I sell the car I get any overpayments refunded.

• Like 1

My service plan ended this year (March) and I declined to continue it as the quotes seemed dear. Given the cars age Toyota offer cheaper service options if you ask. The original plan was good value and I paid around £1200 in total which covered 7 services, 5 MOT's and required optional work such as brake fluid changes. 

Toyota's Essential Care for cars over five years old offers a silver service (intermediate) for around £100, and a gold service (full) for around £180.

• 1 year later...

Waste of money took my car in for service when I picked car up spark plugs not done told that's an extra cost won't be renewing mine when it ends this year

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grandprix said:

Waste of money took my car in for service when I picked car up spark plugs not done told that's an extra cost won't be renewing mine when it ends this year.

Which services were included within your service plan. If only Intermediate and Full services were included within the plan,  spark plug replacement isn't included within either of these. The Full+ service includes additional service items such as spark plug replacement when due, coolant replacement when due, etc.

I use the silver service every time now for around £100. This includes the oil and oil filter. Plus the health check.

I like their health check as they do it quite thoroughly. If any thing need doing I ask my independent mechanic to do it. This way I am not entirely dependent on one garage. It is more off a cross check the others garage work. 

This works well in advance of MOT. So you know the car is prepared. 

On 8/1/2017 at 8:20 PM, Perfection said:

At 15k miles per year, which of your Toyotas need more then 2 services per year???

3 hours ago, Grandprix said:

Waste of money took my car in for service when I picked car up spark plugs not done told that's an extra cost won't be renewing mine when it ends this year

Think that is a good reminder to all of us no matter who services a car, always ask questions to determine what is and is not in the deal being offered.

when I have mine and the wife’s hybrid cars services at Toyota I always make sure I want 0W-20 engine oil. 

Hi Catlover,

I used to drive 15k miles on the Yaris to work. Now it is sold and replaced with the Honda Jazz.

However, in the winter period (for 4 months) I tend to drive the Verso to work as it will give it more time and mileage to warm up. The Jazz is used for short journey school and shopping trip.

So I still use the Toyota Silver Service for the Verso.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what plan it is without get paperwork out but I pay about £252 per year dealer never gave me options for plan just a price and said it covers service and mot,s

I took my service plan out in 2017, I guess it all depends on how good the service department is, the guys in Wakefield sat with me and discussed all available options which allowed us to tailor the plan to be what I wanted it to be.

I drive around 18,000 per year in my Auris. Spark Plugs/Engine & Gearbox oils/MOT's/Aircon service/fuel treatment/engine coolant/air & pollen filters are all included in my plan & I have a very healthy saving over the duration of the plan.

I personally think its very good value for money & I would take out another plan.

• Like 1

Main dealer service has always been “No value for money” only suitable for a persons that has no technical knowledge at all. If it’s a brand new car and yes to keep warranty but independent garage may well suits u better. Prices in main dealers are sky high and includes nothing, very often they don’t even change cabin and air filters, not to talk about spark plugs or wipers , and in some garages dodgy mechanics even don’t bother  to change oil filters and even an oil, or simply use a 5w30. I am not saying that everywhere it’s like that but simple maths can proof me right. Toyota cars are simple machines and everyone with minimum diy knowledge can service itself  his  car and save hundreds of money 💰. Ok, for some jobs maybe we can’t avoid main dealer but for a simple service can’t wait to get my hands dirty, which is another reason to own a Toyota and not bmw or Audi. 

59 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Main dealer service has always been “No value for money” only suitable for a persons that has no technical knowledge at all.

Some people either don't have the time, inclination or the facilities to undertake their own servicing - nothing to do with not having technical knowledge, which is a wildly inaccurate assumption.

Yes, one can have servicing done by independents during the new car warranty period, but the onus is then on the owner to prove the servicing has been carried out to the manufacturer's requirements in the event of a warranty claim which correct servicing has a bearing on.

Those who have a manufacturer's extended warranty, often find that to keep the warranty valid, the vehicle has to be serviced within the manufacturer's dealer network - certainly the case with Toyota.

Also some manufacturers offer reduced cost servicing for out of warranty vehicles, which is also the case with Toyota. Toyota's Essential Care scheme offers the equivalent of an Intermediate service (silver service) from £99 and the equivalent of a Full service (gold service) from £180, depending on model. There is also a current offer of a silver service and MOT for £99.

Worth bearing in mind that if one has a major issue with an out of warranty vehicle for which the manufacturer is approached as regards a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repairs, independent or self servicing will usually mean that goodwill is denied. Goodwill works both ways.

Yes, some franchised dealers are better than others, and the same applies to independents.

At the end of the day, whether one chooses to have one's vehicle serviced by either a franchised dealer, an independent or to do one's own servicing, it is down to personal circumstances and personal choice.

Nothing else!

• Like 3

I think you probably right on the warranty side of things but£252 a year for a filter change and mot is abit steep they found a problem with rear brakes as carrier on caliper seized seems they don't strip clean the brakes anymore either £260 on top of the plan cost no new plugs or air filter o but they said they changed brake fluid so all in all £1260.00 for not a lot in my opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandprix said:

I think you probably right on the warranty side of things but£252 a year for a filter change and mot is abit steep they found a problem with rear brakes as carrier on caliper seized seems they don't strip clean the brakes anymore either £260 on top of the plan cost no new plugs or air filter o but they said they changed brake fluid so all in all £1260.00 for not a lot in my opinion

What is covered under each service is detailed on Toyota's website - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing - and this has been the case for a number of years. I've had service plans on each of our last three Toyotas, and have been aware from day one of each service plan, which services were included. A plug change is included as part of the Full+ service, but if your service plan was only for Intermediate and Full services, a plug change would be extra.

To know what one is paying for, in my opinion, is an essential part of any purchase.

Aside from the above, as your car is over five years old, you could have taken advantage of Toyota's Essential Care scheme, which reduces the servicing costs quite substantially - for the Auris £120 for a silver (intermediate) service and £200 for a gold (full) service. Also til the end of 2019, there is an offer of a silver service and MOT for £99. See the link above.

• Like 2

I can't see anything written down in my service plan or on the Toyota website but I'm sure I heard any parts needed outside of a service plan would get 10% discount on, which is another benefit of a Service Plan.

I've done my own car maintenance since 1995 when I passed my driving test, now I'm happy to pay someone the change the oil/filters/brakes etc instead of me doing it in the rain/snow/wind etc so I can enjoy more time doing what I would like to do.

Each to their own but I'm 100% happy with the Toyota Service Plan I have.  In my eyes it is very good value for money, my dealer is very willing to accommodate a courtesy car with my strange working hours, pricing for parts and labor is competitive & I have trust in them, they have never tried to sell me something that wasn't needed. I bought my car from this dealer at 3 years old, it has never been anywhere else for servicing so when it had a whine and the clutch pedal sticking to the floor at 4yr/50wk old they took the car straight in and a new clutch kit/thrust release bearing fitted under warranty.  I also think having a good relationship with the garage helps.

It's not to say that you wouldn't get the same service from an independent garage but we all have our own idea's & values for 'good value'

• Like 1

Yeap, you are all right here, down to personal preferences and values, I agree. Maybe in the coming years I will take any of my cars to a dealer but until than I will always take care of  my car by myself, it’s kind of the most loved thing I like to do. “Rev up your engines”-  kind of , you know what I mean. 🚗

Some dealers do offer additional benefits with service plans - a common one is 10% off parts or parts and labour. The dealer I use offers 10% off the latter.