Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 RAV4 Auto Transmission Cable

RAV4-2004

Hi All,

I've been a member for a while but rarely visit as my UK  spec 2004 RAV4 Auto has been impeccably reliable until today when it nearly left me stranded in the middle of nowhere with a boot full of chickens and no drive.

Basically the shifter went slack and I lost drive. The problem seems to be with the shift cable, it has either snapped or become detached at one end. Got home by shifting the lever manually under the bonnet and fortunately did not have to reverse.

I'll have a closer look in the morning but assuming that it is not going to be a case of tightening a clamp or a nut at one end or the other, if someone could advise me of the  part number and stockists for the shift cable and any ancillary parts, I would be very grateful. The Bay of E has plenty of manual shift cables but I couldn't find any Auto ones.

Many thanks,

Jerry

Thanks Mike, 

I've had a further look this morning and the plastic end of the cable which bolts onto the lever on the auto box has sheared off. Those Utube vids cover the other end of the cable, short of fabricating a metal replacement for the plastic part and welding it onto the end of the rod attached to the cable (which is beyond my ability), it is not repairable.

Spoke to local Toyota dealer and part number is 33820-42090 and only available a single unit at the rather eye-watering price of £210 plus VAT! Which is about four times the price of the manual equivalent on th Bay of E.

The only cables I could find on find anywhere were on the Bay in the USA and UAE for about half the price but not really worth the potential hassle and inevitable extra duty.

If anyone has any thoughts for alternative sources sources for this part at prices better than main deale I would be very grateful. Decent used at the right price would be fine.

Cheers

Jerry

I would have thought any decent engineering workshop could do a repair as you describe for maybe £50 -  £75.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IanML said:

I would have thought any decent engineering workshop could do a repair as you describe for maybe £50 -  £75.

Will give my local independent garage a call tomorrow but I can't wait too long to get I to back on the road and might just have to admit defeat and order from the local main dealer and fit it myself. 😩

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After much trawling of the various links, I managed to get a complete gear shift handle plus cable in good condition from the Bay of E for £37 inc delivery from Lithuania which was  bit less painful than the £250 from Toyota!

Fitted today and back on the road - just need to buy a few clips to replace those that broke while strippiing things down.

Its worth keeping an eye on the end of the cable wherever it bolts onto the lever on the auto box, it's intended to swivel to take account of the change in angle as the gears change but mine as seized causing the plastic to flex and eventually fail. Worth giving it a squirt of lubricant every now and then to avoid an expensive and fiddly repair.

:)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi would you be able to post link to eBay as I have same problem and cant find the cable thanks. 

On 8/15/2017 at 1:16 PM, RAV4-2004 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After much trawling of the various links, I managed to get a complete gear shift handle plus cable in good condition from the Bay of E for £37 inc delivery from Lithuania which was  bit less painful than the £250 from Toyota!

Fitted today and back on the road - just need to buy a few clips to replace those that broke while strippiing things down.

Its worth keeping an eye on the end of the cable wherever it bolts onto the lever on the auto box, it's intended to swivel to take account of the change in angle as the gears change but mine as seized causing the plastic to flex and eventually fail. Worth giving it a squirt of lubricant every now and then to avoid an expensive and fiddly repair.

:)

An assembly consisting of the shift handle + cable attached particularly when described as in good condition  would likely have been an used part. May be worth trying to source similar from one of the online car breakers.