Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3ZZ-FE Corolla Altis upgrades!

Wallabi

Hi everyone,

I'd like to tell you guys about my project and know what you think about it, if anyone has ever done it etc...

I own a thailand-made Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 from 2009, powered by that good old 3ZZ-FE.

I have already done quite a few mods on it, I installed a 7" LCD touchscreen infotainment system with bluetooth, USB, DVD player and iGo Navigator, installed angel eyes aftermarket front headlamps with DRLs, installed a drop-in flat K&N performance air filter and NGK Iridium spark plugs, did a stage 1 ECU remap which achieved a maximum output of 104 whp or 115 bhp, from 94 whp/104 bhp at stock, the torque was also increased by 16 ft/lbs. I then did a little DIY mod that allowed to gain some more extra power, removing the air intake tract and cutting the hose just before the flexible fabric accordion-like part, effectively cutting the length of the intake tract in half! I also proceeded to seal off the resonator/air tank to which the air intake tract also connects as this resonator considerably slows down the airflow through the intake tract as the air has to enter the air tank first, fill it, and go out again, which creates an air depression (to improve quietness in the engine bay) that tends to negatively affects engine performance. From that mod I managed to gain 11 additional horsepower at the wheels in 3rd gear (automatic ECT-i transmission), raising the power to 115 whp/127 bhp and also increasing the torque by 10 ft/lbs. 11 whp from a DIY mod that cost me exactly $0 is quite a good deal I would say. If you don't already have a CAI or a SRI I would suggest you also do this mod if you want some free additional HP!

Now, regarding the next mod I am planning to do, thats what we're interested in right? I am planning to try and increase the power of that good old 3ZZ-FE a bit more by swapping some parts. To be precise, I am going to replace the original 3ZZ injectors, intake manifold and throttle body by those of the 1ZZ, which as you may know is the 3ZZ's bigger cousin, with most parts interchangeable. I have already received the 1ZZ injectors, and I will order the 1ZZ intake manifold and throttle body in the next few weeks. I m not quite sure if I ll need a new remap to get the most out of this new setup but I am expecting, I am hoping to see at least a 10-15 whp increase, maybe more if I m lucky! Has anyone ever done that mod or knows someone who has and who has dynoed the car? Is there anything particular I should know before doing that mod? Considering I have already increased my corolla's power by 21 whp from stock, can I really expect another good increase for this mod or am I already reaching the limits for a N/A engine?

Btw, a few pictures of my Altis ;)

1501949504-1.jpg&key=c3b3a2d8b28b67063c6

1501949504-2.jpg&key=0ed0b4dd894a5b1d6d7

1501949504-4.jpg&key=81c6e38bd13aa9224d8

1501949511-8.jpg&key=ac6fe62ca60faca59a7

1501949512-13.jpg&key=ce489eaacd496addfb

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Good luck with your project.

Tuning engine is amazing. But how about better handling?

For most car recommend is lowering the suspension and install front strut bar and rear anti roll bar.

On my Camry i install only front strut bar. And i have better handling.

I check for Altis 2008-2013 and for Corolla 2008-2013 have big set of bars and braces.

I order for my car from that guys: http://eng.ultraracing.me/Ultra-Racing-Shop/Toyota/toyota-corolla-e140-e150-2008-2013/

Again good luck with project.

And also, before tuning engine most people tuning brakes. ;)

toyota-corolla-e140-e150-2008-2013-front-lower-bar-la3-153-500x500.jpg

toyota-corolla-e140-e150-2008-2013-front-strut-bar-tw2-521-500x500.jpg

toyota-corolla-e140-e150-2008-2013-rear-anti-roll-bar-ar19-222-500x500.jpg

Also Wallabi.

I want ask what you country from and how in your country with car theft?

In Russia we use thats mechanical device on steering column. Blocks steering shaft rotation and prevent rotation of the steering wheel. When set mechanical anti-theft device the wheels do not turn and the car can travel only straight forward and backward. Or in the side back and forth, before installing the mechanical anti-theft device lock if the wheels turn. To go by car to the established mechanical anti-theft device is not possible.

Photo from Toyota Corolla.

blokirator-zaslon-toyota-corolla-2007-2013.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello Wallabi. I own the exact same car as you. I've been trying to also make an ECU remap but I haven't found any software that is compatible with this car.  What software did you used?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links