Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake pipe vulnerability

Owdjockey

walkbrake1.thumb.jpg.7b51d7f2d8c84ae4064230f0bb0c5717.jpg

Sadly my 54 plate 2.0 D4D, which I had from new and accumulated 253,000 miles has departed. After finding I needed to replace s number of brake pipes, which was not that diffcult, I decided to look for something slightly newer. So 6 weeks ago I bought a 2008 2.0 D4D TR estate with 46k on the clock and have not regretted it yet and I doubt I will.

One of the brake pipes that was severly corroded on my old avensis was a small exposed elbow on the rear brakes. The elbow has no plastic cover and is partially obscured by the inner plastic wheelarch cover. It is a real mud trap and a definite potential area for your brake pipes to corrode. I'm not sure why the elbow has no plastic cover.

Anyway, I have just done the first service on my recently acquired Avensis and so made a special point on checking this particular part of the braking system. Sure enough, the brake is exactly the same configuration on my 2008 car as was on the 2004. So this is just an heads up to maybe keep an eye open when you are next under the rear wheel arch.

I should say that there is an olive green protective paint on the pipes, which has small rust spots on. I decided therefore, as a temporary measure, to slap some beeswax on the exposed section until decide on a more permanent solution. Any suggestions? I know some have used waxoil. I attach a photo of the brake pipe on my 2008 avensis

On the old T25 1.8 I had I lightly sanded the pipes and put on a coating of clear grease.or instead of the grease you could use a clear coat paint.

Hi, personally I think i'd buy an aerosol  of underseal from your local car spares shop and give all the unprotected pipes a good think coat of the black stuff. Tetrosyl comes to mind if you can find it. Mike.

• Like 2

An MOT test centre would fail a car over here in Ireland. if brake pipes were sprayed over with black paint. Not sure about ur part of the world. Grease as frankie says, as long as they can see the brake pipe clearly and is not rusted. A coat of paint cover's a multitude of sin's. including a lot of rust. Ha.:wink:

Hi Anthony.

It appears the rules are different on this side of the water.

I did MOT's for many years and unless the rules have changed over here underseal is fine.

The law on MOT's is very daft at times I feel, i'll give you an example, if a car came in with alloy wheels and the MOT tester could see a wheel bolt missing then it would be a fail where as if a car come in with ordinary steel wheels and plastic wheel trims then the tester can't remove the plastic wheel trim to check all of the wheel nuts were in place.

If Owdjockey wants to phone the garage before he uses any form of anti rust, grease, underseal and so on he of course can easily do so.

Regards Mike.

12 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

An MOT test centre would fail a car over here in Ireland. if brake pipes were sprayed over with black paint.

I've seen some videos about cars that have passed/failed NCT's over in Ireland, I have absolutely no idea how the Irish test works. Do they just throw a coin in to the air and make a decision based off that?

The one car failed on something really silly like a coroded back plate, but the car has severe brake disc problems which weren't even picked up on. The mechanic doing the video was clearly annoyed and frustrated at it.

Hi Michael.

There were many things about the MOT test I didn't agree with, for example I think cars by law should have the same make and model of tyre on the same axle of the car, the reason being we all know a certain make of tyre will out perform a different make so if say you had two different makes of tyre on the front of a car, under heavy braking one tyre would loose grip and skid before the other making the car swerve to one side due to the different compounds of rubber used etc.

I do actually remember a man that wears a blue uniform for his job for a living brought his 3 year car in for it's first MOT but he knew his front tyres were badly worn on the edge so at home he put the spare on one side, it was still brand new but I failed it on the other one. He told me he's trading it in for a new car and he needed an MOT to trade it in. Well this man went into one because I failed it just on the one tyre so he was angry and said he's going to buy the cheapest f*"king tyre he can get, brought it back for his retest and I had to pass it but this new tyre was clearly of poor quality. If I personally had bought his car I personally would of got the cheapo tyre off and changed it for what make was originally on there and buy the worn spare a replacement as well so it had all good tyres. Again, crazy rules we couldn't fail a car if the spare was bald as the customer could simply leave it in his garage at home.

People forget the MOT test is for their and other drivers safety on the road, MOT tester don't fail cars out of spite and we'd get checked up on by the ministry at times, usually a man with long greasy hair, leather coat to make himself not look like an official.

Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. I was not really worried about the MOT, more about making other owners with a similar brake config aware of the exposure of this small section of brake pipe and preserving the brake pipe integrity on my own car. Other people have used various ways of covering exposed brake pipe sections, including heat shrink tubing, waxoyl, ant-rust paint. I've used beeswax, which will probably get washed away on my first wet outing!

Mine failed the mot on the same brake line because the pipe looked pitted it wasn't I just cleaned the dirt that was on it and the what looked like flaky paint on it.sanded pipe some clear grease and passed the very next day.

Hi Frank. You have hit the nail on the head mate, here in England MOT testers cannot scape, remove car parts, say like side arches like a sporty car has to examine the condition of the sills underneath yet a lesser non boy racers type of car you can see the sills so it might fail on rust that's why I personally would underseal in this case brake pipes where exposed as the MOT tester cannot sand paper the pipe for you unless you give him permission to, it's like banging your head against the wall at times. Mike.

• 1 year later...

Hi owdjockey, I have had the same brake pipe failure in the same place on my 56 plate avensis behind the wheel arch protector on the uncoated elbow, any chance you can remember if you had to replace the entire pipe travelling the majority of the length of the car, was it difficult, any tips for a learner like me. I'm struggling to find the replacement name and part online. Any help would be much appreciated thanks owdjockey or anyone else with info. :)

Hi jay,

About 4 months ago I posted the same problem concerning my 55 Avensis.

What I did do then was to expose the brake pipe and rub down the pipe with a small wire brush and fine wet and dry paper. They did clean up quite well. I put black waxoil on the exposed pipes. The car is due its MOT in December. I did plan to replace the effected part of the brake pipe only. Sadly, I didn't, but planed too. My only concern is that the MOT examiner may fail the brake pipe due to it being covered with black waxoil. I will send previous post details.

Regards

Peter 

Hi again jay.

It was may 5th 2018.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Peter