Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking/Rubbing sound when turning

michaelington

Hi all.

I have recently purchased a Toyota yaris 1.3 VVTI 2008.  It has recently gone through MOT and for a service.  After a few days I noticed a creaking sound when I turn.  Now it doesn't make a noise when driving at road speeds.  It's just when I am putting full lock on or close to full lock.  So I only hear it when using car parks and doing maneuvers.  It almost sounds like it's the tyres rubbing on something but I've checked this and can't see anything.  It happens when turning both ways and when going forward and reversing.  

Anyone know what this is?  Or how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

I think you'll find this has been raised before. I experienced something similar on mine. It seems it's down to the tight turning circle of the Yaris and the wheels having to be at different angles (the inside front wheel turns a tighter circle than the outside). Ackerman steering approaches a solution to the problem, but it's not a perfect solution. I don't know if Toyota have done something different. Mine was more noticeable on the original Dunlops during colder weather.

Yeah, it's the tyres scrubbing sideways against the ground because the wheels aren't aligned properly at steeper steering angles; It's 'normal' and you can safely ignore it.

Mine did this too, and I was unable to find a problem with the suspension. I took it to Kwik Fit to have them inspect the suspension as thus grating noise was really quite offputting when turning on full lock, and sounded like the tyres rubbing on some part of the bodywork. Kwik Fit said there was nothing wrong with the suspension, but the tyres were well worn and still the originals to the car from new (its only done 25K miles for an 06 reg). I had the 2 front tyres replaced, and since then, I've had no more grinding noises on full lock, so its the tyres that were responsible for the noise and 2 new tyres has solved it.

No. Imagine if the wheels were rubbing on the wheel arches, and that rough, deep, grating kind of noise that would result, well, that's the noise it makes.

• 2 years later...

Ive just bought one that only has 2350 miles and it’s 2017. The noise is terrible on reverse then right lock. I’ve driven loads of cars for over 38 years and never heard anything like this. Garage said it’s nothing and just a noise. I’m not happy at all. Any help appreciated thanks 

I had a similar noise on a Estima Van! Turned out that on old motor work the Mechanic failed to replace a Engine Bushed mount! So tight turns and slow speed it was aweful creaking sound. Fine at speed.

Found amount on line and easy fitted - this one! Whew.

• 1 year later...

Hi, got similar problem with my 2015 Yaris it started after changing wishbone. Got back to garage but they say everything is OK. Had it checked again and had the screws tightened by someone else but starts to make this noise again. Noise  is kind of like creaking doors noise, also only when close to full lock and on low speed. Any other ideas what that can be? 

If it's a squealing noise and is different when on different surfaces, it's likely the steering angle thing mentioned above; Not a lot can be done other than trying different tyres unless your suspension has some adjustment. Usually MacPherson struts don't have a lot of adjustment alas. It was worst on the Mk1 Yaris, but on later Yaris models the steering angle thing wasn't such a big problem as there was more space in the engine bay for the steering arms to be set correctly.

If it doesn't change sound depending on road surface, it may be the wheel hub heat shield rubbing against a brake disc or something - I find they often get bent a bit when less careful mechanics are working on the wheel area, usually just enough to rub at extreme ends of the steering,

• 1 month later...

Old topic i know, hopefully now solved.

Sometimes you'll find that the CV joint boot folds tend to rub on each other.  You can spray with some white lithium grease or a silicone spray to reduce the noise but make sure surfaces are all clean and then spray over each fold