Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pls help me identify this suspension? part

brainii

So, the other day i start the car and when it was moving and especially applying brakes, I was hearing a screeching noise (like pieces of metal rubbing) coming from the front right wheel area. After 10km or so of city/highway driving it went away, and came back (a lot less pronounced) when fully turning left. Now it's gone.

But I checked in the wheel area and found a metal rod with a bearing which is leaking grease, see photos (see clearly 2nd picture, top of vertical rod).

Is this an urgent/dangerous problem and what's that rod called?

Thanks!

1 IMG_20170819_0911403286_HDR.jpg

2 IMG_20170819_091359837.jpg

It is called the anti roll bar drop link, easy to change, sadly quite expensive if you buy a genuine one, but can be found very cheap from your local motor factor, it needs replacing right away, it assists the stability of the cars suspension, whilst it has not fallen off, you don't want that to happen, change it as soon as possible

Kingo :thumbsup:

That's a drop link. 

I would also check your brakes as well if it's screeching

Drop links normally cause knocks and bangs when broken however that has a split boot which means it needs changing but is not broken but will seize up pretty fast.

Also on a note what Auris do you have and what coilovers do you have on 

Look a reasonable price on fleabay - £20 ish

ahh drop link, thanks for the replies.I will change it very soon, had an MOT couple of months ago and it was fine..

Brakes have plenty of thickness left, no idea why they were screeching, maybe a dog ****** on the wheel and dust collected or sthng like that? :)

Those are KW V1's, had them installed 3 years ago or so.

AS for the metal screech sound there is possibly a thin plate round the back of the brake disc which can be ebnt easy and rubs especially when on lock - on the wifes Yaris anyway.

Presume you looking for an estate car by the sounds of it. Pity cause you can pick up a 2011 Auris Hybrid for about £6.5k with lot less then 100k miles.

100k miles wouldnt bother me too much especially if it had Toyota service stamps. Engine probably only done 70k, the rest on Battery. The mechanics of the engine/drive train seem pretty sturdy, just need to make sure the rest of the car is up to scratch ie brakes, suspension etc.

And even if you are only doing 5k a year, having a hybrid is to me more then doing extra mpg, its about running thro villages especially with a clean exhaust emission.

"

Presume you looking for an estate car by the sounds of it. Pity cause you can pick up a 2011 Auris Hybrid for about £6.5k with lot less then 100k miles.

100k miles wouldnt bother me too much especially if it had Toyota service stamps. Engine probably only done 70k, the rest on Battery. The mechanics of the engine/drive train seem pretty sturdy, just need to make sure the rest of the car is up to scratch ie brakes, suspension etc.

And even if you are only doing 5k a year, having a hybrid is to me more then doing extra mpg, its about running thro villages especially with a clean exhaust emission.

"

I have no idea what you are on about there mate :)

car was bought brand new from Toyota, now has only 62k km, wife drives it mostly from home to work.

anyway, I just ordered 2 drop links off eBay UK, to change in pairs ( I will keep the other side's one for spares) and because buying 2 was only 5 quid more! (the pair cost me 35 Euro total, brand new, but not original).

Sorry about that, my mind was on another post by someone else. Posted on the wrong thread. doh!

sooo, sound came back, not only when braking but also when car is rolling (and sound changes, becomes more pronounced the faster it goes), but other times there is no sound.

totally confused, I'm gonna avoid driving the car till the mechanics open on Monday..

• 2 weeks later...

mystery solved, sound was coming from worn REAR brake pads (indicator was rubbing).

My new drop link from eBay has a small slit on the top side of the rubber on one end, is this normal or is this a dodgy part (already installed)..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links