Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking to sell my 4.2 Rav4. Any tips?

BeechCustom

Hello all

My business has taken off and, on the advice of my accountant, I am now leasing a vehicle (BMW X1 18d Xdrive Sport auto).  Anyway, my Rav4 is now pretty redundant so I am looking to sell it on.  It's a 2001MY (X reg) 4.2 5dr VVTi NV spec in metallic red with the factory fitted wheel arch plastic inserts and driver's lights.  Body and interior is in good nick and it's done 105,075 miles and has a full service history (mostly toyota main dealer) with a wedge of receipts for various repairs over the years.  All 02 sensors have been replaced and it had a brand new set of tyres fitted all round a few months ago.  I put it in for an MOT yesterday to aid the sale but it failed on the following:

1 - Parking brake lever has no reserve travel

2 - Rear fog lamp not working

3 - Brake pipe excessively corroded Nearside Rear

4 - Brake cable has restricted free movement offside

5 - Brake pad (s) less than 1.5 mm thick rear

6 - Parking brake: efficiency below requirements

My local garage recon it'll cost £300 (max) to put it through an MOT.  We Buy Any Car offered me £360 for it which I initially recoiled at since the cheapest on autotrader is nearly a grand more than that.  So, I wanted to ask what people think would be the best way to sell the car?  Should I get the work done first or is the car not worth what autotrader are asking?

Where are the best places to advertise such a car? (Gum Tree etc).  It seems a shame to let it go to WBAC for so little!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Swings and roundabouts really.

If it is put through the MOT, the purchaser will probably negotiate down the advertised price. 

WBAC will also negotiate the price down, as they usually do.

There is also the time factor of advertising, answering responses, arranging views, etc.

Gumtree (owned by eBay) or eBay may be cheaper than Autotrader.

Could advertise in either condition in the For Sale section of Toyota Owners Club (would need to include an indicative price and may not generate the same level of response)  - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/23-for-sale/

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  I think I will list it here and on Gumtree for £500 or so as is. That seems reasonable as someone can get a decent car for less than a grand.  Am loathed to let it go for less and I'm not really in a rush for the cash (although tax and insurance runs out at end of month)!

Put it through MOT if it's max of £300, advertise it at £1150,then even if you get knocked down to £1k that's £200 more than selling it without an MOT

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links