Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My review of the 2017 1.0 Aygo

peku

Hi!

My name is Philippe. I am an Aygoistic man as I owned four Aygos, 3 mk1s and 1 mk2. I thought I might post a little comment. This is more intended for people who have the Aygo 1 as it is a comparison between the two generations. I kept all Aygos around 70 000 kms / 43 500 miles. I have always owned entry level models, 3-door, no option at all, not even a keyring or floormats. Some observations are certainly wrong, I am not an expert! I am an eco-driver and drive mainly on the highway.

Things I prefer about the Aygo 2:
- Sound insulation: much better. At low speed, the A2 is extremely silent, I sometimes feel like driving a HSD. On the highway, the difference is striking. In the A1, the engine was so loud you could consider it your fifth passenger in the cabin.
- Suspension: much better, I no longer jump when I drive over a speed bump.
- Button to open the fuel cap: you no longer need to use your key to unlock it.
- Car computer: now gives more indications such as fuel consumption, ambient temperature...
- Brakes: the A2 brakes harder.

Changes I neither like nor dislike:
- More responsive: the 1.0 engine feels more powerful. But the power curve is strange, as though a turbo engaged, whereas accelerations should be linear on an atmospheric engine.
- Seats are more bucketed: in the A1, the seats were so flat that if you put some object on the passenger seat, it would fall off in the first turn. But, on the other hand, my legs feel more wedged on my seat.
- Boot: slightly bigger. But I guess that is why rear seats seem a little less roomy.
- Overall quality: the A2 looks like a real little car that is far from the basic car the A1 used to be. But I miss the roughness and simplicity of the A1. I liked feeling the engine and the exterior environment.

Things I do not like about the Aygo 2:
- Gear ratios*: gears are much much shorter, which implies shifting more often. This is the first thing I noticed, and it is quite boring.
- Commands in general feel hazy: steering feels much too light, I did know I was buying a boat. All 3 pedals are imprecise and offer very little feedback, I am driving the A2 like a young driver or a grandpa. A1 controlled more precisely.
- Shape of the steering wheel: I like steering wheels that are regular in thickness, round and thick, like the one on the A1. The one on the A2 is very thin, irregular, unpleasant to hold and to look.
- Visibility: all windows are smaller: windshield, back window, side mirrors...
- Interior space: less roomy, I feel surrounded with prominent plastic, which is a general tendancy in contemporary cars.
- Gear shift indicator: as in many cars, this eco-thing is crazy and useless. Every time your foot skims the accelerator pedal, it will tell you to shift up a gear. Unless you are in top gear, "shift up" is always lit. Follow its advice if you want to have fun.
- Storage compartment under the steering wheel: I loved it in the A1, there is none on the A2.
- No space on the sides of the seats: in the A1, I loved storing things under my seat, I could reach them easily from my seat, in the A2 it is no longer possible.
- Tire repair kit*: A1 had a full-size spare wheel as standard, A2 has a cheap repair kit.
- Doorlocks: I do not have remote opening and all locks are hard to operate, and it is not a matter of "break in" time.
- Unfriendly: many little details mentioned above and others (doors are heavy...) give the impression that the car will not be tamed.
- Tire size increased: people like me who had winter tires will have to buy new ones.
- Exterior design: the "X" looks nice and modern but the overall design looks bulky and boxy.
- Interior design: I prefered the A1 with its central console lit.

* guess these were to maintain low CO2 emissions.

Conlusion:
I must admit that Toyota did a great job. Customers were heard. Absolutely every single detail was improved from the first generation of Aygo to the latest one. The overall comfort has progressed. But the A2 feels more like a revised A1 than a brand-new car.

Consumption remains low and even decreases. My latest Aygo beats the record with 3,99 l / 100 km.

I was used to driving the A1 and paradoxically, I miss it. It felt lighter to drive, more communicative, had more personality. The A2 is more comfortable. Yet, it feels more like a fat clumsy squary little thing that controls awkwardly. Yet, I am entirely satisfied and it will certainly be my next car!

Problems I had with my Aygos:
- 2006 Aygo:
infiltration of rainwater in the boot. I put silicone around the central brake light but to no avail. Whenever the weather was wet, the inside of the car was: condensation on the dashboard, wet commands, wet air... In the long run, this might lead to problems with electronic devices.
- 2013 Aygo: driver side door lock jammed. I had no remote opening. The door lock got harder to open until it eventually refused to. I had a quotation from the dealer to replace the part. A small garage managed to repair it for free.

I'll be happy to share experience with you. Thanks for reading!

• Like 4

The second generation Aygo is based on the first generation, rather than being a totally new car. Second generation: same wheelbase; same width; 5mm lower; 35mm longer; and between 5 and 20kg heavier, depending on specification. The body Shell has been strengthened compared to the first generation and the windscreen rake changed (now more upright). 

The engine now is EURO6

The gear shift indicator was an EU requirement for all new cars first registered after November 2014.

Remote locking is standard across the range in the UK.

In the UK, the only difference between models as regards the steering wheel is that the base version (X) is urethane, and versions above the base (X-play and above) are leather covered and have audio controls. Thickness of the rim is the same. The wheel is flattened at the bottom - similar to my previous Auris - and the idea of the flattening is that it makes access easier.

Smaller windows reduce weight - glass is heavier than steel. 

In the UK, a spacesaver spare is a cost option.

The UK base version has 14 inch wheels, with the rest of the range having 15 inch.

• Like 1

I agree with most of your review on the mk2 Aygo. I've found that they have improved the steering around bends a bit and I have more confidence to put my foot down coming out of bends and off roundabouts for example. I got the x-play model with the steering wheel controls which is something I missed having since the Honda Jazz and x-shift auto does do short gear ratios but they have improved the smoothness on the higher gears.

Like you, I have had a few aygos.. 2 mk 1's, and 1 mk 2. I drive my Aygo VERY hard at times, and also think there is more body roll on the mk2. other than that though i love all the other changes / improvements.

I've owned both and found the Mk 2 a far more grown up car except there was something missing. The Mk 2 was very uncomfortable and cramped to a point I sold it after two months. Very disappointed. I found your review review spot on. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links