Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch and drive shaft

Taepoong

Hi, 

The clutch of my 2008 Aygo 5 gear manual shift is worn out and I would like to change the clutch.

I started yesterday and could free everything from the top (Battery, etc.,....).

After freeing up the drive shaft at the wheel site I tried to remove the drive shaft from the gear box. .... Which was impossible. As far as I could find out so far, it should be easy to remove them but I just cannot take them out whatsoever. Is there a specific move or trick to remove the drive shafts? When I pull towards the outside they just extend and I'm afraid the the joint rubber seal is going to rip and the joint would just come apart without removing the entire drive shaft from the gear box.

Any hint or advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tae

Not sure about the Aygo, but typically the driveshafts are held in by whats called a Snap Ring.

The official tool is a modified slide hammer, but normally you can release it with a carefully placed pry bar or a sharp blow with a  lump hammer via a piece of wood etc.

Plenty of examples on ytube

If you first driveshaft came out so easily, it might need the snap ring replacing; though the books says they should be replaced each time the driveshaft is removed.

the other way is to undo the inner cv boot then withdraw the driveshaft from the inner cv joint

leaving the inner cv in the gearbox ,put a sandwich bag around the 3 bearings on the driveshaft

to keep then in place and to stop any dirt getting on the bearings.

i feel you will find it easier this way.

Thanks, oldcodger and eygo.

@eygo: This is actually what I thought about earlier. Just one question: Would the right-sided drive shaft not prevent that I can take off the gear box. Or am I wrong? Does the the drive shaft o fate right side not feed into the gear box? And would it not be secured with a snap ring as well?

I am assuming the the differential is located in the gear box, isn't it? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the diff is part of the whole gearbox assembly.

These pics of the Corolla driveshafts show the snap rings and the official way to remove the shafts.

Tried the pry bar way without success , though probably too careful as did not want to damage the casings.

Found just one well placed sharp blow with a large hammer and a wooden drift from the other side did the job easy enough.

Its got to be a quick sharp to make the snap ring jump out of its groove, steady pressure does not do it.

000386.jpg

000387.jpg

Thanks so much.

just for me: Does SST stand for special service tool?

Could I put a 3 finger claw around it and attach it to the sliding hammer in order to remove the drive shaft?

If it could be done sure they would have used such a claw, is its possible to get the 3 claws around it  ?

Whats the difference between using the SST on position A vs a wooden drift and a lump hammer on point A from the other underside of the gearbox ?

000386.jpg

You are right, I'll try that. Thanks so much.

One last question:

do I need to replace the snap rings or are the old ones still ok? 

When inserting the drive shafts, do they "just" slip in and click or is more force needed. If yes, can I carefully hammer it in or would that destroy the joints? 

in the inner Cv joint there are 3 grooves ,in the grooves is where the

bearings locate and they let the driveshaft contract and extend

as the suspension moves up and down.

inner cv bearings.jpg

inner cv.jpg

31 minutes ago, Taepoong said:

You are right, I'll try that. Thanks so much.

One last question:

do I need to replace the snap rings or are the old ones still ok? 

When inserting the drive shafts, do they "just" slip in and click or is more force needed. If yes, can I carefully hammer it in or would that destroy the joints? 

Technically you should always replace the snap rings, though many do not, including me, but on mine it was the only time they have been removed, if  removing again I would renew.  If you still have to order some parts, then I would get some snaps as well.

They go back in with a firm sharp push of the shaft.

You might find some helpful pointers on my clutch change .

clutch details(1).pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links