Do Not Sell My Personal Information

power windows

Paulr117

I've just bought a 54 reg 2.0 petrol 5 door Rav4 and noticed today that the rear passenger side power window doesn't work from either the switch on the door or the one by the drivers seat. I've checked the switch which locks the windows and it makes no difference. Not sure what to do now. I assume that the fuses would cover all the windows and not just the one which won't open. I don't really won't to have to pay a garage to fix it if there's an easy cure. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Defective wiring or defective motor.  Remove door card and check with a voltmeter when operating the control.  If the voltage appears, it's the motor.

Just noticed that when i try the rear window switch from drivers seat there's a click from the faulty rear window but no click when i try the switch on the actual faulty window. Does that help your diagnosis ?

There is a button on the drivers side that disables the passenger windows - is this depressed?? The button has a symbol of a window with an X through it.

Yes i've tried the window disable button a few times and it works on the other windows but when I deactivate it the faulty window still won't work.

That suggests that, if there is only a single fault, it is probably in the rear door window switch.  You probably need to replace it

Thanks IanML. Do the members on here recommend anywhere for spare parts (rather than just at a local Toyota garage) ?

I would try this one.  You can return it if it does not work.  Not sure about colour. You can probably swap the surrounds, but it should otherwise be compatible.

Ah ok thanks. I seem to remember on other posts re spares on here that people mentioned Japarts ( but couldn't find window switches ,etc on there) on another member called Kingo who I think works for Toyota.

You can also do eBay search for "Toyota 84810 12080".  The description is "Switch assembly power window regulator rear" July 2003 to Nov 2005.

Ok thanks for your help. Sorry about all the questions. Car electrics are a mystery to me ! 

Hi, to determine it is actually the switch take the one out of the other side and swop them over and see if the fault transfers across.

Kingo is known as the 'Parts King', his real name is John and here are his contact details.....

Lindop, Toyota main dealer, 01244 821031 and just ask for 'Kingo', if he can't sort you out then no one can.

He is on this site also.

Mike.

Update .........I swapped the 2 rear window switches over and it still wouldn't work although power was getting through to the switch. We then carefully removed the door panel and unplugged the connection to the window motor. We tested the connection and power was getting through to the motor. So we assumed that the motor had died and needed replacing but just in case we tried something else. We taped up the window glass with duck tape and unbolted the motor from the door panel and removed it. then we reconnected it to the power lead and it worked fine ! All the moving parts that push the glass up and down seemed fine and lubricated so untaped the glass and carefully slid it up and down a few times then put it all back again ensuring that the glass moved ok.  So now it all works fine and I didn't have to pay a mechanic to look at it or buy a new switch or motor which I wouldn't have needed.    Thanks again to all the people on here who have offered advice and help.

Good to hear.  It was probably a stuck brush in the motor.  If it happens again, lubricate the brushes in their housings with graphite powder.

Good news to read Paul and may I say I am impressed the methodical and careful way you tackled this job. Well done, Mike.