Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat nav failures

BERIAN1

Took delivery of CHR in May.

First time used Satnav during the last week whilst on a trip to Wales.

On open straightforward roads satnav was ok BUT, virtually useless when presented with junctions that come quickly after each other, SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOW, in catching up and went past a number of junctions as a result.

Going around the towns/villages and lanes in Wales, forget it, the system is always slow and behind pace  and  as a result continually bleats  recalculating route which takes an age.

Fortunatly I had my 7 year old basic "Tom Tom" with me that I used instead and that never ever faltered or was behind the pace.

Very disappointed, unacceptable and very  poor in comparison to older and more basic systems.

As another point,  interior lights do not come on when doors open, a y ideas, I have gone through the menu on the Touch and Go and cannot find anything that helps.

Regards. 

Depending which interior lights you have:

1. On the rear light fitting, if so equipped, there is a three position switch - on/off/door. Check the switch is on door.

2. On the front light there are push button switches, and if one of these is depressed, it turns off the door function.

Page 581 of the full owners manual refers.

One can download the full owners manual from MyToyota.

What software version is the car running?

To check press SETUP > GENERAL scroll down and select SYSTEM INFORMATION, this will show both the system software and Map version, what are these?

Also when was the car delivered?

Thanks so much for the comments to date.

Interior lights, thank you will double check.

Sat Nav. Car delivered May 2017, software version 6.8.2WH, Map id 2016v2.

Do you need to update your profile to include the CH-R.

In

9 hours ago, BERIAN1 said:

Thanks so much for the comments to date.

Interior lights, thank you will double check.

Sat Nav. Car delivered May 2017, software version 6.8.2WH, Map id 2016v2.

Since May there has been a software update to version 6.9.0WH and map 2017v1 to do this you can download it via "Mytoyota"  ( it may look chargeable but persist and before it actually asks for money it will revert to FOC ) or ask your dealer to update for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Re. the recent CHR posts from me.

Interior light now sorted.

Have been in touch with Toyota regarding the very poor sat nav and it would appear that my CHR was supplied with out of date software.

I am having to take the car to a dealer next week for the rectification and update.

The software in my  Car re the sat nav is 2016!

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2017 at 2:16 PM, BERIAN1 said:

Hi all.

Re. the recent CHR posts from me.

Interior light now sorted.

Have been in touch with Toyota regarding the very poor sat nav and it would appear that my CHR was supplied with out of date software.

I am having to take the car to a dealer next week for the rectification and update.

The software in my  Car re the sat nav is 2016!

Did the software upgrade fix the satnav Berian?

To be honest, I have not used it in depth since the update but I still feel that compared to my Tom Tom it is slow and, as stated, when junctions are close together it is not as quick.

It's truly scandalous that the sat-nav on a £30k motor should be so poor.........that said, (IMHO) the Japanese have never been able to make decent sat-nav equipment, portable or built-in.....

If you have a setting to check GPS signal, monitor that. I have seen some gps units fitted where they work but have poor signal, which can cause this.

I wonder how long it will be before the Mersey Gateway bridge and all the changes to the approach roads plus closure of old Bridge will be included in the maps. I don't use the navigation function much but the speed limits from the map are more reliable than those from the camera which seems to like reading signs on side roads.

There seems to be some variations in opinions as to how many free map uploads you can have and over what period, if anybody has any info?

Additionally, has anybody gone for the spare wheel option and upgrade and how much boot space did you lose and what was the cost

Would be interesting information.

Thought it was three years free updates .....

I can't recall cost of spare wheel but seem to remember that  cost of option shown online was less than correct price but I don't know what I paid. As the necessary parts were not available when I took delivery of my car it was a  few weeks before spare wheel could be fitted - some of the mouldings in the boot have to be changed. You lose a few inches in height when you have the spare wheel, standard boot floor has lip to door opening but when spare wheel is fitted floor level is raised to be level with opening. One slight niggle is the rubber boot protector supplied with the protection pack is designed for the original configuration so is not a neat fit with the higher floor.

Thanks for that, that is quite a lot of space, shame the fit is not the best. Regards.

The fit of the spare wheel kit is fine but when I ordered protection pack and spare wheel there was no warning that the rubber mat would not fit neatly on top of spare wheel. Without the spare wheel it was a very neat job now there are two small sections that don't fit as the new mouldings are a  different shape. Had I known about this when ordering I might not have bought the protection kit and just used the plastic sheet that I used in my Prius. One slight advantage of the new floor height is the slight indents either side have now become deeper wells 

Thank you for the information, bit of a quandary  to make a decision.

Going back a few years I seemed to get punctures quite often but those cars had low profile tyres biased towards performance. My first car without a spare was a RAV4 which had M&S tyres which never got a puncture so repair kit never needed. This meant that I was not really bothered when I found my next car (Plug in Prius) could not have a factory/dealer fit spare wheel. I decided to get the spare wheel with the C-HR as my back does not like bending so my reasoning was that if I had a spare then had a puncture I should be able to get help for a wheel change but less likely to find someone to use repair kit even though they are becoming more common.

It's free maps for 3 years and the maps are updated April and October every year as this Month 6.10.0H map update was released.