Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trip computer reset itself on hybrid Auris

Kitko

Hello there,

yesterday, I switched on the car to find the trip computer reset - that also reset overal mileage to 99 l/100 km. It was the second time that happened. It was always after a Garmin satnav was used the previous day - but I'm using it all the time and only experienced that reset on those two occassions.

Has anyone experienced an auto reset?

thanks

• 4 months later...

On 8/28/2017 at 6:49 AM, Kitko said:

Hello there,

yesterday, I switched on the car to find the trip computer reset - that also reset overal mileage to 99 l/100 km. It was the second time that happened. It was always after a Garmin satnav was used the previous day - but I'm using it all the time and only experienced that reset on those two occassions.

Has anyone experienced an auto reset?

thanks

Hi, bit of a late reply this, but I'm getting similar behaviours with my Auris Excel Hybrid (late 2015) which I've owned since February 2017.  Three times in the last couple of months I have found that the Trip A, Trip B and MPG readings have reset themselves, and for no apparent reason.  I always reset the Trip A and MPG readings each time I refuel, but I don't normally reset Trip B unless it's for a particular reason.  Last week, after a round trip of 120 miles, I found that the three readings had reset themselves because both Trip readings were showing single figures and the MPG reading was suddenly a lot lower than it had been.  It's not a major problem of course, but it's very annoying.  I was wondering if there's a sequence of button-pushes that can be used to do a 'reset all' that I might have accidentally used, but it's strange that it hadn't happened before two months ago but has since happened three times!  It would be good if we can have a comment from Toyota about this, if someone there is reading this...

25 minutes ago, Sir Jestalot said:

It would be good if we can have a comment from Toyota about this, if someone there is reading this...

The Club is independent of Toyota, and even if Toyota were to visit these forums, they won't reply directly to any topics. We do have a moderator who works for a dealer, and a dealer who sponsors the club, so perhaps, if they see this, they may reply.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Club is independent of Toyota, and even if Toyota were to visit these forums, they won't reply directly to any topics. We do have a moderator who works for a dealer, and a dealer who sponsors the club, so perhaps, if they see this, they may reply.

Thanks for that.   I did wonder if they'd ever see it.   I live very near my Toyota dealer so I might as well drop by and ask them.  I also want to ask them about (a) getting some brighter main beam headlights (mine aren't all that good) , and (b) getting a replacement horn, as the one fitted as standard on the Auris sounds extremely weedy!

I'll report back to the forum with their answer to the trip reset issue.

Think your Auris will use HIR2 bulbs, which produce both the dipped beam and the main beam. 

The choice of road legal HIR2 upgrade bulbs is limited at present to either Osram Cool Blue Intense +20% brighter or Toyota Optiwhite +60% brighter - 

The cost of the Osrams are around £66 a pair, the Optiwhites (made by Philips) £48.77, less any discount you may get from your dealer.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think your Auris will use HIR2 bulbs, which produce both the dipped beam and the main beam. 

The choice of road legal HIR2 upgrade bulbs is limited at present to either Osram Cool Blue Intense +20% brighter or Toyota Optiwhite +60% brighter -

The cost of the Osrams are around £66 a pair, the Optiwhites (made by Philips) £48.77, less any discount you may get from your dealer.

Thanks for that info.   I was aware of the Optiwhites.  I'll visit my Toyota dealer tomorrow.  I had quite a long late-night journey last weekend which involved quite long stretches of main beam illumination, and I was struck by just how poor the standard bulbs are.  The dip beams are OK.

3 hours ago, Sir Jestalot said:

I did wonder if they'd ever see it. 

You can raise it directly with Toyota customer service if you want. enquiries@toyota.co.uk

Had same thing happen, mileage was 99l/100, but odo A, and B did not reset.

Elapsed time was 2 hrs, but it's quite possible that it reached 99, and went back around. I'd say just a glitch, ignore it.

16 minutes ago, furtula said:

Had same thing happen, mileage was 99l/100, but odo A, and B did not reset.

Elapsed time was 2 hrs, but it's quite possible that it reached 99, and went back around. I'd say just a glitch, ignore it.

Thanks, but No, the trip meters will count up to 9999 (or more?) if you let them (except when they reset themselves :-)   My Trip B - which I rarely use - would go up to about 2000 miles before I thought of resetting it.  This self-reset has happened too many times recently to be a glitch, so I don't want to ignore it.

I've also got a 65 plated Excel and the same thing has happened to me on many occasions.

Yes, its very annoying, and I have not been able to identify a pattern.

On 12/28/2017 at 12:02 PM, Sir Jestalot said:

Thanks for that.   I did wonder if they'd ever see it.   I live very near my Toyota dealer so I might as well drop by and ask them.  I also want to ask them about (a) getting some brighter main beam headlights (mine aren't all that good) , and (b) getting a replacement horn, as the one fitted as standard on the Auris sounds extremely weedy!

I'll report back to the forum with their answer to the trip reset issue.

I called in at my local Toyota dealers on Friday, and asked not only about the trip reset issue, but also about the possibility of fitting replacement brighter main beam bulbs and a louder horn to replace the pathetic standard horn.   The man didn't have an answer to the trip reset issue except to say that maybe the 12v Battery may have discharged (which seems very unlikely to me because I'd not noticed any related problems) but said they'd "look into it" (whatever that means!) when I brought the car in for its service (due in late February).  I asked if there was a button sequence which acted as a "reset all" and which I might have used accidentally, but he didn't seem aware of any.

With regard to the main headlamp bulb and the horn, he said that they'd be reluctant to install any nonstandard equipment themselves just in case it gave rise to an issue over which they could be held liable, and if I tried fitting them myself or used another supplier, it would void my warranty if anything went wrong as a result.   So, a bit of a Catch 22 situation there!   Do I risk voiding the warranty, or wait another three years and put up with these shortcomings until the warranty expires?   I might still be able to persuade them to fit new bulbs, and perhaps maybe also a new horn if I can convince them it's a road safety issue. I'd be interested to hear what members of the forum think...

I did also ask about the engine oil, and whether issues might arise with condensation as a result of the engine oil rarely reaching what I'd call "working temperature" because of the characteristic frequent stop-start operation in the Hybrid and the fact that I don't make too many lengthy journeys these days.   The man said that they'd never had any issues arising from this, and the Hybrid has been around for ten years, so it seems like I'm worrying unduly.

Obviously if third party accessories are fitted (eg a replacement horn) the accessory would be covered under the third party manufacturer's warranty rather than the Toyota new car warranty, and the associated connection would be covered by whoever did the fitting. As a Toyota dealer and as a separate business, it is their decision whether they would want to be involved, and, by the sound of it, they don't.

As regards the headlight bulbs, as per my earlier post below, the Toyota Optiwhite bulbs are available from Toyota dealers. These would carry their own Toyota warranty, and wouldn't be an issue if you wanted Optiwhites supplied and fitted by your dealer or another Toyoita dealer. Third party bulbs (eg Osrams) would be covered by the paragraph above.

As regards oil, I've had two petrol Auris from new, both with stop/start systems, and used in city driving (Birmingham), and didn't have any issue with condensation over a seven year period. Both used the same grade oil as hybrids.

On 28/12/2017 at 12:22 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Obviously if third party accessories are fitted (eg a replacement horn) the accessory would be covered under the third party manufacturer's warranty rather than the Toyota new car warranty, and the associated connection would be covered by whoever did the fitting. As a Toyota dealer and as a separate business, it is their decision whether they would want to be involved, and, by the sound of it, they don't.

As regards the headlight bulbs, as per my earlier post below, the Toyota Optiwhite bulbs are available from Toyota dealers. These would carry their own Toyota warranty, and wouldn't be an issue if you wanted Optiwhites supplied and fitted by your dealer or another Toyoita dealer. Third party bulbs (eg Osrams) would be covered by the paragraph above.

As regards oil, I've had two petrol Auris from new, both with stop/start systems, and used in city driving (Birmingham), and didn't have any issue with condensation over a seven year period. Both used the same grade oil as hybrids.

Thanks for your input.  I did specifically mention the 'Optiwhite' bulbs to the man at the dealer but it sounded like he wasn't aware of them.  I think when I get it serviced I'll ask them to look for the specific part number, as you say it's on the Toyota parts list.   Thanks also for your comments regarding the engine oil, which is reassuring.  I used to change my engine oil twice a year to help avoid the possibility of oil contamination by moisture, but that was when DIY engine oil changes were easier :-)

The Optiwhites only became available in the last couple of months or so. The part number for a pair of the Optiwhite HIR2's is

90981-YZZDN.

• 4 months later...

Just had this mpg + trip A + trip B unexplained reset. Very annoying as I was just about to fill up and compare the onboard readout with the actual mpg! It's with the dealer at the moment and I've asked them to check it out as well. Also a 2015 Excel hybird Auris (facelift).

34 minutes ago, benjamino said:

Just had this mpg + trip A + trip B unexplained reset. Very annoying as I was just about to fill up and compare the onboard readout with the actual mpg! It's with the dealer at the moment and I've asked them to check it out as well. Also a 2015 Excel hybird Auris (facelift).

Strangely enough, it's only happened to me once since my post here in December '17.  Will be interesting to know what your dealer has to say, though it sounds like one of those spurious things that 'just happens' and can't be replicated (and, of course, never happens when an expert takes a look at it).

No info from dealer unfortunately. If it happens again I'll book it in specifically or email Toyota about it. 

For me it was happening in winter months only, elapsed time and consumption was being reset. The culprit seems to be Battery which will need replacement soon, roughly on 40-50% of it's capacity now.

Warmer weather came, and the issue disappeared.

AFAIK this "feature" is present on all generations of auris in, it was discussed before, but no one gave any clear remedy. 

12 hours ago, furtula said:

For me it was happening in winter months only, elapsed time and consumption was being reset. The culprit seems to be battery which will need replacement soon, roughly on 40-50% of it's capacity now.

Presumably you mean the small, 12v Battery in the rear of the car?  I would expect this to last a lot longer than 2.5 years, especially as it isn't used for any heavy-duty work such as starting the engine.

It certainly wasn't cold yesterday when it happened to me. Interestingly it did happen after I stopped and started the car again. Sounds like it only happens when the car starts up. Find it hard to believe the 12v Battery is actually cutting out enough for it to wipe the memory. I wonder if there's any TSBs about the issue - none of my dealers read their TSBs so we'd have to check with TGB or wait for Devon Aygo to check for us!