Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dangerous Aygo Windows pt2

rgvsean

2 hours ago, Chloe99 said:

I can’t understand the reasoning behind saying there’s a recall when no information has been given yet it’s only going to frustrate people 

It is a process that takes time.

Firstly DVSA need to have sufficient reports from owners in order to start an investigation in conjunction with the manufacturer. The investigation then needs to take place, which includes determining the production range which covers the issue, whether one model or more are affected, etc, and a fix for the issue needs to be worked up and tested.

If it is decided the issue warrants a recall, the manufacturer will be supplied with owner details by DVLA. The manufacturer then needs to write out to owners who may be affected, and bear in mind that not all cars within the production range may have the issue. The manufacturer also needs to have a sufficient supply of whatever parts are needed to rectify the issue, dealers need to be informed of the repair process, etc.

It isn't immediate.

This applies to all manufacturers, and not just Toyota.

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is a process that takes time.

Firstly DVSA need to have sufficient reports from owners in order to start an investigation in conjunction with the manufacturer. The investigation then needs to take place, which includes determining the production range which covers the issue, whether one model or more are affected, etc, and a fix for the issue needs to be worked up and tested.

If it is decided the issue warrants a recall, the manufacturer will be supplied with owner details by DVLA. The manufacturer then needs to write out to owners who may be affected, and bear in mind that not all cars within the production range may have the issue. The manufacturer also needs to have a sufficient supply of whatever parts are needed to rectify the issue, dealers need to be informed of the repair process, etc.

It isn't immediate.

This applies to all manufacturers, and not just Toyota.

I understand all of this and that it isn’t just something with Toyota but we are now at the stage where letters have been sent out and it has been put on toyotas website yet they still claim they don’t have any information 

As I said it isn't immediate. 

Guys...

Does this thread relate to the 5 door only version Aygo’s. I have tge 3 door and all appears okay, touch wood.

x

only 5 door mentioned - but you can always check the site for your own car's reg.

CBA5A731-4E54-4202-984A-F53A8F6D4F2B.png

I thought the 3 door had non opening rear windows.

The problem relates to the 2 small blobs of mastic on each of the 2 hinges of the 5 door models. It basically disintegrates, causing the glass to detach from the hinges (which are bolted to the chassis).

The problem is you cant really 'check' to see if the mastic is OK. Not seeing any obvious problem does not mean that everything is ok. The mastic can and will detach without any warning whatsoever. I thought I was lucky...I found that one of my hinges had detached totally from the glass...the other hinge looked ok- I was going to fix it the next day but on shutting one of the doors the remaining hinge failed and the whole glass fell out. The best test would be to try pulling the front edge of the glass (in the area of each hinge) away from the car. I wager theres a lot of Aygos out there where the glass will detach under this unscientific method.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I thought the 3 door had non opening rear windows.

The problem relates to the 2 small blobs of mastic on each of the 2 hinges of the 5 door models. It basically disintegrates, causing the glass to detach from the hinges (which are bolted to the chassis).

The problem is you cant really 'check' to see if the mastic is OK. Not seeing any obvious problem does not mean that everything is ok. The mastic can and will detach without any warning whatsoever. I thought I was lucky...I found that one of my hinges had detached totally from the glass...the other hinge looked ok- I was going to fix it the next day but on shutting one of the doors the remaining hinge failed and the whole glass fell out. The best test would be to try pulling the front edge of the glass (in the area of each hinge) away from the car. I wager theres a lot of Aygos out there where the glass will detach under this unscientific method.

Completely agree with this, the bottom hinge of the rear drivers side window of my car has also detached, top is still in tact for now unfortunately they both full detached on the opposite side.

My five door is exactly the same problem one side completely came away the other side just partly like I said I have glued and gaffa taped in place looks lovely lol but surely this is not a one off as we all have the same dangerous problem and now they have to take it seriously because when this first happened to me Toyota were not interested in my complaint which could have resulted in a nasty accident as it frightened the life out of me when driving 

Also do we need to report it to the DVSA as how will they know how many of us this is happening to

15 minutes ago, Linda Goldsmith said:

Also do we need to report it to the DVSA as how will they know how many of us this is happening to

I presume now it’s turned into a safety recall and it’s been acknowledged we wouldn’t need to 

38 minutes ago, Linda Goldsmith said:

As a recall has already been announced, DVSA and Toyota will already have an estimate of how many vehicles may be affected.

Presumably you have already used Toyota's recall checker, and found that your vehicle is part of this current recall.

If this is not the case, and your vehicle isn't part of the current recall, there would then be merit in reporting the issue to DVSA, as the issue may go wider than the range of vehicles identified by the recall

Yes I done the checker and my car was on it so I suppose I will just have to wait thanks for your help thou 

Took my car in today. They’ve sent the info over to Toyota but they can’t do anything until they’ve got the info back from Toyota on what they want them to do.

Not sure how they’ve looked at it though when the same tape is still on that I put on.

They are hoping to hear back from Toyota tomorrow but I picked my car back up tonight because I need it for the weekend and they aren’t forced to hear or have the part tomorrow so better getting it back and take it back when they can do it than it sitting in the car park for the weekend!

Will keep you updated 

• Thanks 1

An utter shambles Chloe.

Toyota have issued the recall, some time ago, and every dealer, franchised or not, should know about it.

Your case has nothing to to with DVLA as you were there on their doorstep. Identifying an owner does not apply in your situation.

They should either have at least one pair of windows in stock for the purpose, or have a very swift logistical solution to get them there asap.

Very embarassing I feel, and heads will roll should a serious incident occur between the date of the official recall and the dealers getting their act together.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Toyota have issued the recall, some time ago

Doesn't seem to be the case. The recall appears to be very recent.

The recall wasn't showing on the DVSA website a few days ago, and it still isn't showing - https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

As regards DVLA, they are responsible for supplying the manufacturer, whether Toyota or another company, with contact details for owners of cars which may be affected, and this is an integral part of the recall system.

Frosty

I do not know why you are so defensive of anything and everything to do with Toyota when it comes to problems.

DVLA are there to deal with legitimate requests for registered owners details or, in the case of DVSA, to investigate potential, reported issues around safety.

In this case, Toyota themselves have acknowledged a safety issue and have issued a recall notice, before DVSA even became involved (which should tell you something). Should an owner turn up on the doorstep of a dealer the recall issue should be dealt with. If not immediately, then at least an assurance that the matter is known about and will be prioritised, with a date to return asap for rectification to occur. Not some wishy washy 'dont know whats going on guv' scenario akin to an Arthur Daley sketch.

I accept that some sort of proof of ownership would be required by anyone banging on Toyotas fancy bi-fold double glazed doors, but a V5 should suffice, as it would contain all the details that DVLA would have anyway.

As you may have guessed, this particular issue strikes me hard. As a 2 wheeled veteran, the prospect of an Aygo rear door glass hitting a motorcyclist at 70mph (which is a perfectly reasonable assumption) suggests that certain individuals should consume a little more coffee and deal with it asap, not turn away owners at their doorstep with gaffa tape holding their windows in.

• Like 3

DVSA's role includes the responsibility for managing the safety recall process, and DVLA's role is to manage the vehicle keeper information for all registered vehicles within the UK.

DVLA are not involved in investigating potential safety issues - which is the responsibility of DVSA. 

After investigating potential issues with the manufacturer, DVSA may decide an issue merits a safety recall, and DVLA supply the owner information to the manufacturer to enable the manufacturer to write out to owners of vehicles which may be affected.

These roles and responsibilities are clearly set out by The Department for Transport, of which DVSA and DVLA are separate agencies. 

At the end of the day any action outside of this process isn't a recall, and, in Toyota's case, the manufacturer handles the issue via a voluntary customer service campaign or similar. Also outside of this process, the manufacturer doesn't have the right access to DVLA information to enable them to contact owners.

Whether or not you agree with the safety recall process, doesn't matter. That's the process that has been put in place by Government.

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

Your case has nothing to to with DVLA as you were there on their doorstep. Identifying an owner does not apply in your situation.

Totally agree. My Lexus needed new fuel pumps under a recall and due to embarking on a long trip soon after the recall was issued; I called Lexus dealer who ordered the parts for me and booked me in, so the work could be done ASAP. I never did receive a letter, maybe it was cancelled due to being done but I'm not aware of anyone else with same car ever receiving a letter either. If the recall is on the site - which it is - you can have the parts ordered and they call you to fit them once they have arrived into stock.

I would suggest you check Toyota Recall checker, confirm your car needs doing, call Toyota or go to the dealer and get them to order the parts. 

Without seeing the Technical Service Bulletin it's hard to know what the criteria for getting new parts is.

ANYWAY.......from the recall checker (Toyota themselves) they tell you, you can make an appointment to get it sorted.

Not having parts to carry out the work is a separate issue and no amount of anger will make the parts magically appear, but if you get there early and register you need service, you will get the parts as they arrive into stock.

-------------------------------

We have identified that yourToyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

This can be rectified at no cost.

If you require any further information or wish to make an appointment, please contact your local Toyota Dealer.

We like to ensure your records are always accurate, but you can help us by updating your details in My Toyota.

• Like 1

Frosty

I do not think you have said anything in your post that we did not know already or you haven't said before.

My point (and I am sure everyone elses) is that it should not be unreasonable for an owner to turn up at a dealer with gaffa taped windows and get some sort of positive action for a matter which Toyota have already issued a safety critical recall for.

It is nonsensical to be turned away on the basis that DVLA have not yet provided the owner details. The owner is there in the flesh.

Why you support and subscribe to the 'Toyota cannot do anything until DVLA provide owner details' idea is beyond me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Why you support and subscribe to the 'Toyota cannot do anything until DVLA provide owner details' idea is beyond me.

I don't.

I support the fact that the recall system is a process put into place by the Government via Department of Transport and their agencies, and that vehicle manufacturers are bound by that process. 

Doesn't matter whether it is Toyota, VAG or whoever.

44 minutes ago, rgvsean said:

If you require any further information or wish to make an appointment please contact your local Toyota dealer.

Which is fine, and this at least enables the dealer to check whether the car and the issue is covered by the recall , voluntary customer service campaign or similar, but, depending on the repair and supply of parts, doesn't necessarily mean the work will be carried out any quicker.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

doesn't necessarily mean the work will be carried out any quicker.

I did mention that. 

But if one's windows have failed, it would be wise to get to the front of the queue. 

As it stands dealers are in the same "boat" as owners the DVSA has decided the issue warrants a recall, as soon as they do so Toyota are obliged to announce their intention to recall cars but at present the DVSA have not provided details of the affected owners details to Toyota , Toyota have not provided dealers with repair instructions, parts numbers to order nor any claim information.

As soon as Toyota have the list of affected owners depending on parts availability they will either write and inform owners that they will be in contact again once parts are available or write to invite you to contact your local dealer for repair. all of this depends on parts availability which may take a while to build up and as we are dealing with a car out of production current manufacturing of replacement glasses will have to be stepped up. Also if DVSA have announced a recall their EU counterparts usually follow suit so Toyota could be looking at hundreds of thousands of cars of cars so obtaining sufficient stock could take quite a while.

Years back VOSA ( now DVSA ) would allow manufacturers time to prepare before announcing a recall so by the time owners became aware of a recall the manufacturer and its dealers were ready to proceed but VOSA decided that it would be safer for owners to be made aware immediately which is now the case.  

Just wanted to update people. 

Took my car in today (again) and they have replaced the window which has fallen out which they say was because of the safety issue it was causing - they also gave a quick service wash and hoover so can’t fault them for that. 

However, they wouldn’t replace the other window and I have been told I must wait until I receive an official recall letter from Toyota - not sure why they couldn’t just do both while it was there? One bracket is already broken, hoping that doesn’t fall out too in the mean time

• Like 1

Hi

Did they contact you to bring it in or did you chase them again can’t believe they didn’t replace the other window as they have done one because of a safety issue surely the other is also a safety concern