Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dangerous Aygo Windows pt2

rgvsean

The remaining window may well be a safety concern, but as it is currently still attached, the concern isn't as immediate as the window that became detached. Given Devon Aygo's post of 23rd November, the dealer has addressed the immediate issue, and advised to wait for the recall letter to be received. If the remaining window does become fully detached, then report back to the dealer and/or Toyota GB.

8 hours ago, Linda Goldsmith said:

Hi

Did they contact you to bring it in or did you chase them again can’t believe they didn’t replace the other window as they have done one because of a safety issue surely the other is also a safety concern 

After they asked me to take it in last Thursday to look at it, they rang Friday to let me know it had been authorised by Toyota and asked me to bring it in this Thursday. Now I have to wait for a letter👎🏼 

I get that the other hasn’t fallen out yet but one of the two latches has already broken so I don’t think it’ll be long before it does and of course, if it falls out while driving and It hits another car it’ll be my fault🙄 

Shocking.

I would say that the window that hasnt yet decided to part company is far more dangerous than the one that was gaffa taped in which I would wager is far more secure than the plasticine blobs which are holding the other in.

If the remaining glass does break free, at the very least it will incur a lot of scratches in the door. At the worst it could end up flying down the motorway into the path of the nearest unlucky vehicle.

Dont risk it. Fully gaffa tape the remaining window as well. One of these windows with only one hinge holding it in is a live grenade.

Dont forget that my window with only one hinge attached fell out completely on simply closing a door. Even stationary, the dropping of it made some nasty gouges in the door paint. I was fuming given how well I look after my car.

12 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Shocking.

I would say that the window that hasnt yet decided to part company is far more dangerous than the one that was gaffa taped in which I would wager is far more secure than the plasticine blobs which are holding the other in.

If the remaining glass does break free, at the very least it will incur a lot of scratches in the door. At the worst it could end up flying down the motorway into the path of the nearest unlucky vehicle.

Dont risk it. Fully gaffa tape the remaining window as well. One of these windows with only one hinge holding it in is a live grenade.

Dont forget that my window with only one hinge attached fell out completely on simply closing a door. Even stationary, the dropping of it made some nasty gouges in the door paint. I was fuming given how well I look after my car.

Totally agree! I haven’t yet picked my car up but I will be taping it until it is fixed. I also have lots of scratches caused by it. 

Been told to make a complaint with Toyota regarding them to see if they’ll do anything 

isn't it madness that with only 1 hinge holding the window in place you have to wait for the recall

instead of replacing the defective part toyota would rather wait for the window to fall down

and damage your paint work or worse damage another vehicle whilst on the road.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:04 AM, eygo said:

isn't it madness that with only 1 hinge holding the window in place you have to wait for the recall

instead of replacing the defective part toyota would rather wait for the window to fall down

and damage your paint work or worse damage another vehicle whilst on the road.

What a joke just got onto my local garage to find out what is happening about getting my windows replaced apparently they do not have the parts but if I book it in and pay they can do it lol

1 hour ago, Linda Goldsmith said:

What a joke just got onto my local garage to find out what is happening about getting my windows replaced apparently they do not have the parts but if I book it in and pay they can do it lol

Well it is the recall system that is at fault. See Devon Aygo 's post of 23rd November. DVSA make manufacturers announce recalls before they are able to put systems in place to rectify the recall issue - which includes instructing dealers on the recall, ensuring the supply of parts is there, etc.

All manufacturers are similarly affected. For example VAG have a current recall on the rear centre seat belt of certain cars (Polo, etc) which dates back to Spring, where the seat belt may become released whilst the car is travelling at speed. The interim fix is to supply owners with a warning sticker stating the seat belt should not be used. Corrective parts have only become available from the end of November.

• Thanks 1

Well at last my car is going to be looked at on Friday but only to check how MY glue and duck tape is sufficient in holding them in as apparently they still don’t have the parts at least it’s a start lol

Hi ALL........Before I read about this issue on here, this happened to me about 7 months ago. I noticed a lot of wind noise and noticed my back passenger window had come unattached at the top hinge (I didnt realise they were attached with glue at this point) I checked the drivers side to see if I could see how and with the gentlest of pressure, this top hinge also came unstuck! I purposely pulled the bottom hinges off on both sides, cleaned the mating surfaces re-glued them and clamped and left overnight. 

I depend on my car for work and I thought I'd give it a go as I simply didn't have time to mess around taking it to Toyota. The product I used is similar to "No Nails" and 7 months later its still as strong as the day I glued it.......Its been through an exceptionally hot summer and now heading into winter having temps at freezing with no problems....I guess time will tell.

Just thought I'd share in case you was thinking of having a go yourself....heres a pic of the product I used, available from most DIY stores

IMG_0908.JPG

• Like 1

Hi I did the same but Toyota has at last put new windows in and I waited just under an hour for them to do it and they said I just have to wait for the recall to have it done properly which doesn’t make sense as I have new windows but I will just wait and see the next thing to bring up with them is the damage it did to my car ie sent and scratches but I might have to swallow that but we will wait and see 

• Like 1

I don’t understand why this is locked. I have the same problem with both my rear passenger windows. And at present I only have them taped down. I was very interested in the solution as I need to sort this out urgently. My grand children sit in the back and I could not live with myself if either they got hurt or someone else. I don’t understand why Toyota has not recalled these cars to correct our window problems as it is very dangerous. Toyota manufacturer please help and fix my windows down safely so they don’t harm anyone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cocojan64 said:

I don’t understand why this is locked. I have the same problem with both my rear passenger windows. And at present I only have them taped down. I was very interested in the solution as I need to sort this out urgently. My grand children sit in the back and I could not live with myself if either they got hurt or someone else. I don’t understand why Toyota has not recalled these cars to correct our window problems as it is very dangerous. Toyota manufacturer please help and fix my windows down safely so they don’t harm anyone. 

This second topic isn't locked.

As per earlier posts in this topic, a recall was announced in November 2018 - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

Use the recall checker to determine whether your car is included.

We are not associated with Toyota - so making a plea to Toyota on Toyota Owners Club for help won't be seen by Toyota.

• Like 1

Thank you Frostyballs,I have checked recall and my reg is on there. Thank you again for the very helpful information. Shall call them tomorrow xxx

13 minutes ago, Cocojan64 said:

Thank you Frostyballs,I have checked recall and my reg is on there. Thank you again for the very helpful information. Shall call them tomorrow xxx

Also have a look at Devon Aygo's post of 23rd November within this topic.

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:22 PM, Cocojan64 said:

Rear windows finally fixed by Toyota. They had to replace the windows. As it was on a recall they gave me a curtesy car. Thank you Frostyballs for the help x

I’ve finally had my recall letter and it’s booked in for next week to have the drivers side window done😊

Hi Chloe 

mine now all done as well didn’t get a letter but my garage phoned me as they replaced my windows but apparently that was a temporary fix Which was a few months ago so went in again and now done under the recall if that makes sense lol had a brand new car for the day thou 

21 minutes ago, Linda Goldsmith said:

Hi Chloe 

mine now all done as well didn’t get a letter but my garage phoned me as they replaced my windows but apparently that was a temporary fix Which was a few months ago so went in again and now done under the recall if that makes sense lol had a brand new car for the day thou 

They won’t let me have a hire car because I’m under 21 

Just now, Chloe99 said:

They won’t let me have a hire car because I’m under 21 

The dealer's insurance for the courtesy car may have restrictions, which may exclude any driver below 21.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

The dealer's insurance for the courtesy car may have restrictions, which may exclude any driver below 21.

Yes I know. Wasn’t saying it was an issue. Just saying I couldn’t have one

Had a couple of Aygo's in the past and was not impressed with their build quality, Toyota should up the quality and price of the Aygo enough so that water does not leak into the cabin , brake discs should last more then a year and windows should not fall out, you may as well just buy the Citroën C1 at least with the name on it you would expect poor quality. I only buy Yaris's now. 

The first and second generation Aygo/C1/107/108 are built by the same Joint Venture plant in Czechoslovakia - although in 2018 Toyota bought out the PSA interest as PSA had their own issues with over capacity since the purchase of Vauxhall/Opel.

The water leaks issues were shared across all three of the first generation but did vary from model to model. The recall for the rear side windows also affects the Citroen and Peugeot versions.

The second generation seems better built, with no history of water leaks, etc.

Be interesting to see what happens with Vauxhall/Opel, as they are canning the Viva (built by GM Korea) and Adam next year. Given that Toyota already have the Proace (built by PSA) and will shortly have their version of the Berlingo/Partner/Combo, it is feasible that the next Vauxhall/Opel city car will be Aygo/C1/108 based.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

it is feasible that the next Vauxhall/Opel city car will be Aygo/C1/108 based.

or there could be a new Citroen/Opel/Peugeot/Vauxhall platform leaving Toyota on their own with the Aygo ...

• Like 1