Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dangerous Aygo Windows pt2

rgvsean

I've received a recall letter in January 2019 for an inspection. I had no idea how dangerous and serious it was until it happened. Please take your Aygo in asap if you haven't done so!!

My rear window came off on the A3 motorway on the Sunday evening of 7th April 2019. I ws travelling with a group of friends. My friend opened the rear left window and it became detached. He tried to hold onto it as I tried to find a place to stop but it broke/snapped and glass flew inward over our heads. My friend suffered with a bruised left eye and minor cuts on his forehead. We were all in shock afterward and stopped at service station to patch the hole up. It was an extremely upsetting and stressful the following day to find a dealer to take my car in. 

Toyota UK offered a free replacement for that window and compensate any travel expenses to and from my home. Do I need to inform my insurance company or need to take this any further because someone was hurt?

AL

If you received a letter in January, why didn't you take it into a dealer then for inspection?? Not getting the car inspected when you received the letter has, in effect, made you partly responsible for the incident several weeks later.

I would imagine that if the person who was hurt wanted to take it further then it would need to be via your insurance.

• 3 months later...

I've only just received a letter informing me of the recall for the dangerous windows. I've had to replace both of my passenger windows over the past two summers, the first blew out while travelling at speed down a dual carriageway (thankfully into the grass verge) and I noticed the second one was becoming loose before it fell out.  I had both repaired via my car insurance and had to pay the £60 excess each time, has anyone else been compensated by Toyota for the costs and time it took me to get this issue fixed? 

You need to approach Toyota Customer Services. However, if Toyota is willing to consider some recompense under goodwill (as they have no legal obligation for recompense) and as a Toyota dealer won't have been able to inspect the damage before the repair, I would imagine you will need to provide some sort of proof the fault was related to the recall. You need to raise the issue. 

When I contacted Toyota they refused to recompense me for the tint I would need to reapply. Despite telling them that both my rear windows had detached prior to the recall, damaging my paintwork and causing no end of grief. I accept that my non factory tint is not really their concern but it would have been a nice gesture of goodwill for them to refund the £60 it would cost to replace it given the circumstances.

I told them to stuff their (very late imo) recall if £60 means more to them than keeping a customer happy (its not like I was asking them to respray the rear end which tbh I felt like doing).

I have now done the job myself with Sikaflex 291i marine sealant which will last the life of the car but the whole matter has left a very, very sour taste for me. I likely wont ever buy another Toyota as a result. Theres plenty of other manufacturers.

Don't think any manufacturer would provide recompense for something not directly related to the recall. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:12 AM, mickburkesnr said:

I would guess though that while the Aygo might not be on a par with other Toyota's - as PSA might have brought the quality down a bit - they're still far better than whatever PSA or other manufacturers are bringing out. Maybe with the exception of Kia and Hyundai.

My Aygo 1 just traded in with 75k on the clock and kept it 12 years, was 13 at trade in. All in all despite frustrations with the clutch design and back windows falling out - I doubt there is a cheaper car to own and run when insurance and depreciation factored in. Yes it is a very basic car but it's very cheap to fix. Not sure I'd want one as my main car but for commuting short distance it's very hard to make even an EV pay against a 2-4 year Aygo buy.

I was going to swap to i10 or picanto but the mk2 deal I got persuaded me to trade - the mk2 does seem much better built. That could be the extra noise insulation tho as it still sounds like dropping a tin can when you slam the door. 

Maybe I'll start a new window thread battle with frosty**** (offensive name redacted) in 8 years time if these windows fall out? :laugh: 

If thats your stance, why suggest to Paloma that they discuss the matter of goodwill with their Toyota dealer?

I already said that I accept the tints are not factory, but if I was a manager of a massive car manufacturer I think I would find it in me to locate £60 from somewhere in order to keep a customer happy. Especially given this catastrophic problem not to mention my knackered paint. And yes other manufacturers can and do take goodwill into account.

45 minutes ago, Planemo said:

...........damaging my paintwork and causing no end of grief.............

I have now done the job myself with Sikaflex 291i marine sealant which will last the life of the car but the whole matter has left a very, very sour taste for me. I likely wont ever buy another Toyota as a result. Theres plenty of other manufacturers.

They should have sorted the paint. They offered to repair mine but I said I really wasn't fussed. 

Despite your issues I hear so many bad things from owners of other brands that I am reluctant to look outside the Lexus Toyota group. 

I understand this has left a sour taste in your mouth but I suspect your less than perfect response was still better than you'd have received of certain other brands on such an old car. Not defending them but with car manufacturers it out the frying pan into the fire sometimes. 

How is your repair holding?

8 minutes ago, Planemo said:

If thats your stance, why suggest to Paloma that they discuss the matter of goodwill with their Toyota dealer?

I already said that I accept the tints are not factory, but if I was a manager of a massive car manufacturer I think I would find it in me to locate £60 from somewhere in order to keep a customer happy. Especially given this catastrophic problem not to mention my knackered paint. And yes other manufacturers can and do take goodwill into account.

I'm confused - was that to me or another post?

40 minutes ago, rgvsean said:

I'm confused - was that to me or another post?

It was in response to Frosty. Your post slipped in just before mine.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rgvsean said:

They should have sorted the paint. They offered to repair mine but I said I really wasn't fussed. 

I understand this has left a sour taste in your mouth but I suspect your less than perfect response was still better than you'd have received of certain other brands on such an old car.

How is your repair holding?

I think I was far from asking for a perfect response. That would have been to repair the car (which oddly you were offered) as well as recompense for the tints. In the end I got neither. All I wanted was £60 to redo the tints.

I went into the whole thing very diplomatically and didnt raise a fuss. I was shown the hand from the outset.

I am not sure that this recall is any more noble than on any other brand of car. Its dangerous (in fact you yourself titled this thread as such) and I wouldnt expect anything less from any other manufacturer. In fact I think it should have been issued/brought to task far earlier. There were numerous reports (which did reach Toyota) a very long time before they confirmed the defect.

I do accept that some other manufacturers use the same delay tactics, but to suggest the recall for the Aygo windows is in some way better than other car makers...no, sorry I dont buy that.

Repair is holding well and I have no doubt it will continue. I have used 291i on boats before and once cured its not going anywhere. The only way to remove it is to cut it out as it wont shear/tear nor, once bonded to a suitable surface, detach.

• Like 1

I see what you're saying. Situation has altered since I posted so I guess I was coming from a point of view how I was treated before there was a recall - which I felt was, on an individual basis, very well considering age of car and possibly better than my past experiences with other marques just out of warranty. 

I also followed Frosty's advice and reported to DVSA who eventually told me Toyota had no case to answer and that the matter was closed. That's when I stopped following progress here. 

Once the recall was issued (was it voluntary or forced) then yes you should have had windows replaced and paint repaired. 100% - sorry if sounded otherwise.

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

From Palona's post, they are asking about recompense for replacing the windows which they've had done under their insurance. Different to your instance where you wanted help with something not directly relating to the recall (ie the window tint). Also I advised Paloma to contact Toyota Customer Services, and not their Toyota dealer.