Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dangerous Aygo Windows pt2

rgvsean

I have a 2008 Aygo and no recalls concerning the windows have been sent here in Sweden as far as I know. Is this a UK thing? Just joking, but seriously are they ignoring the Swedish customers?

In my opinion Toyota are just damaging their reputation with the Aygo, the long term build quality is just not good enough and while the latest one looks to be built a little better there is no way i would keep one past five years, possibly even three. 

1 hour ago, rajivrattna said:

I have a 2008 Aygo and no recalls concerning the windows have been sent here in Sweden as far as I know. Is this a UK thing? Just joking, but seriously are they ignoring the Swedish customers?

Don't know whether the Swedish importer has something similar, but Toyota UK have a recall checker on their website, where owners can check whether their car is involved in either a recall or voluntary customer service campaign. May be worth checking Toyota Sweden's website.

55 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

In my opinion Toyota are just damaging their reputation with the Aygo, the long term build quality is just not good enough and while the latest one looks to be built a little better there is no way i would keep one past five years, possibly even three. 

Don't think Toyota could lose the Aygo, as it has been their second best selling model in the UK since 2010 and presumably does similarly well in other European countries.  Only outsold by the Yaris, which is now a bit long in the tooth.

• Like 1

New model Yaris must be due soon? Fun little car the Aygo but the quality is just not up there for me, you see quite a few older Corolla's on the road still looking as good as new. I guess the Aygo hits that price point where it attracts more buyers but what are your really getting over the Citroën or Peugeot apart from the Toyota Badge and 5 yr warranty? like said Aygo is a 5 year max keeper of a car, Yaris upwards are more like Toyota cars to me. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

like said Aygo is a 5 year max keeper of a car,

So why are there so many TOC members with early model Aygos dating back to around  2006?

The new prices of the C1/108/Aygo are very similar - C1 ranging from £9,635 to £14,799, 108 £9,504 to £14,799, and the Aygo from £9,695 to £14,595. 

At the end of the day,the Aygo is built for a different market sector to the Yaris, so won't compare directly. Similarly the Yaris won't compare favourably to the Corolla.

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So why are there so many TOC members with early model Aygos dating back to around  2006?

At the end of the day,the Aygo is built for a different market sector to the Yaris, so won't compare directly. Similarly the Yaris won't compare favourably to the Corolla.

we have had an 09 & 14 plate aygos and both were really good little cars

they are too small for us now so we have bigger cars,if we didnt have 2 young children then

my partner would probably still have the aygo as her daily car.

we have had a yaris courtesy car with 2000 miles on the clock and what a piece of junk it was

noisy and lots of rattles we were glad to hand it back ,prefer the aygo to the yaris overall.

Yes but your seeing a lot more problems with older Aygo's like windows dropping out! brake discs are thin and cheap and water leaks into cabins on some, am sure Yaris and Auris have their long term problems but am sure windows will never be falling out. 

The first generation Auris also had issues with water leaks - via the vents behind the rear bumper, rear light clusters, etc - and some owners are still having this issue.  As regards the windows, the Auris and Yaris had different window fitments.

Well Toyota should up their quality control, reliability is the main reason people buy Toyota's if that starts sliding too much then people will look elsewhere, windows falling out is unacceptable on a car.

The recall covers Aygos built up to December 2013, so any owner who has concerns should use Toyota's recall checker to determine whether their vehicle may be affected, and arrange for the car to be inspected.

The Aygo/C1/107 were built by the Joint Venture company set up by Toyota and PSA, the C1 and 108 are also affected by the same recall.

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Don't think Toyota could lose the Aygo, as it has been their second best selling model in the UK since 2010 and presumably does similarly well in other European countries.  Only outsold by the Yaris, which is now a bit long in the tooth.

Would just like to say was given a brand new aygo as a courtesy car and they have improved so much really nice to drive has now spoilt me when I got back into my one lol

The 2nd Gen Aygo's are a lot nicer and hopefully fixed the window problem on that Gen even if on the new one i had the drivers door dropped and would not close properly i had to tighten the nuts to lift it back up!. I would push to get that scrached area fixed free on your car and think about a second hand Yaris over an Aygo in future not as fun to drive but i have had zero problems with ones i have had. 

The current Yaris isn't without its issues. One being rusting of the tailgate experienced by a few owners.

I had the same issue with my 07 Toyota Aygo (I bought it when it was about 5 years old).

This was a month or so before the recall. The Toyota garage mechanics were great, even cleaning my car and servicing it for free whilst it was in.

Toyota branch staff and head office staff leave a lot to be desired in terms of customer service and seemed to have no idea why parts were so limited even before the recall.

Seeing as older models of the Aygo are so common you’d have thought they’d keep spare windows in stock but apparently according to their head office they didn’t have any in stock anywhere in the UK and had to make them! 

They did fix it all for free for me but 6 weeks to get two windows fixed whilst they had to be held on with tape is pretty rubbish in my opinion, I feel sorry for those caught in the recall where parts would be even more limited

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crispy97 said:

This was a month or so before the recall. The Toyota garage mechanics were great, even cleaning my car and servicing it for free whilst it was in.

You're lucky, my 107 had the same recall and I took it to Peugeot and they didn't even bother cleaning the windows that they rebonded. Instead they told me my tyres needed replacing (they don't) and that my air con and coolant should be changed/recharged for £160. The air con needs regassing yes, but the coolant doesn't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crispy97 said:

I had the same issue with my 07 Toyota Aygo (I bought it when it was about 5 years old).

Toyota branch staff and head office staff leave a lot to be desired in terms of customer service and seemed to have no idea why parts were so limited even before the recall.

Seeing as older models of the Aygo are so common you’d have thought they’d keep spare windows in stock but apparently according to their head office they didn’t have any in stock anywhere in the UK and had to make them! 

They did fix it all for free for me but 6 weeks to get two windows fixed whilst they had to be held on with tape is pretty rubbish in my opinion, I feel sorry for those caught in the recall where parts would be even more limited

Hi Chris, welcome to TOC 🙂

Toyota dealers are independent of Toyota GB, they are not branches of/owned by Toyota. Most are very good but there are always a few in any organisations that let the rest down.

At head office (& indeed in dealers) the CS people that you are most likely to be dealing with are, for want of a better phrase, monkeys rather than the organ grinder - they aren't required to have a lot of knowledge about actual operations, merely feed you into the system.

Before the recall I can imagine that these windows were a very low turnover item & quite possibly held in a central European stock rather than in every country.  If they are a different part from current production they possibly had been out of production for years (& there does come a point - iirc 10 years? - where they are no longer required to hold them at all) & there will be a minimum order required for production by Pilkington or whoever which possibly required management authority.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, Heidfirst said:

Hi Chris, welcome to TOC 🙂

Toyota dealers are independent of Toyota GB, they are not branches of/owned by Toyota. Most are very good but there are always a few in any organisations that let the rest down.

At head office (& indeed in dealers) the CS people that you are most likely to be dealing with are, for want of a better phrase, monkeys rather than the organ grinder - they aren't required to have a lot of knowledge about actual operations, merely feed you into the system.

Before the recall I can imagine that these windows were a very low turnover item & quite possibly held in a central European stock rather than in every country.  If they are a different part from current production they possibly had been out of production for years (& there does come a point - iirc 10 years? - where they are no longer required to hold them at all) & there will be a minimum order required for production by Pilkington or whoever which possibly required management authority.

Hi, 

Oh I understand the garages are independent of Toyota GB and to be honest I couldn't fault the mechanics at all. The customer service staff inside their garages were... well... terrible to be completely honest and I had to hound them to give me updates on the progress of repair.

Yeap I completely understand most the staff are not qualified in the slightest to help other than push you onto someone else.

I get what you're saying about the low stock and possibly not being in the UK but the fact there are tens of thousands of these cars still on the road, it's ridiculous not to have them readily available. I did say this to Head Office who didn't seem happy with my suggestion to be honest.

Like I say, Toyota mechanics 10/10 for service and helpfulness. Toyota Head Office and Branch Customer Service Staff 3/10 at most

2 hours ago, Crispy97 said:

I get what you're saying about the low stock and possibly not being in the UK but the fact there are tens of thousands of these cars still on the road, it's ridiculous not to have them readily available.

In the UK, I would suggest that the majority of replacement vehicle glass is produced by third party manufacturers for use by  glass replacement contractors to the insurance industry (eg Guardian Automotive) rather than the OE manufacturer. This would have an effect on the stock levels that car manufacturers maintain. 

3 hours ago, Crispy97 said:

Like I say, Toyota mechanics 10/10 for service and helpfulness. Toyota Head Office and Branch Customer Service Staff 3/10 at most

I have found that if you can get beyond the first level of CS at Toyota GB they are pretty switched on.

at dealers as far as parts/service you need to find someone who isn't a robot who won't deviate from the book ... if you do cultivate them. 🙂

On 3/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, Heidfirst said:

I have found that if you can get beyond the first level of CS at Toyota GB they are pretty switched on.

at dealers as far as parts/service you need to find someone who isn't a robot who won't deviate from the book ... if you do cultivate them. 🙂

Could not agree more. I go to a Toyota dealer that's about 15 miles away from my house because the parts guys there are out of this world friendly, knowledgable and helpful. I've a Toyota dealer 2 miles from my house and they're utterly awful. The awful dealership will have you sit down on a seat, go in to an office away from you looking for the part, then come back saying they can't find it. The helpful dealership have a counter and they'll either turn the screen to you so you can make sure it's the right part (or help them out when you don't know the name of it) or go behind the counter to do so.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:36 PM, Eddie G said:

Also missed this. As I said I've got a 107 from 2010, and I have another Peugeot (a 3008) from the same year. The build quality between the two is night and day difference, the 107 - although a bit utalitarian compared to the Aygo - is really not bad, even after 8 years. Sure, I'm experiencing water ingress now but that's by the by. Compare it to the same age Peugeot and the bigger Peugeot is just shoddy. Falling to bits, not reliable, expensive to fix etc.

I would guess though that while the Aygo might not be on a par with other Toyota's - as PSA might have brought the quality down a bit - they're still far better than whatever PSA or other manufacturers are bringing out. Maybe with the exception of Kia and Hyundai.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 6:27 PM, rajivrattna said:

Yes! I've been with my Aygo to my Toyota service here in Sweden, since my window is loose and I saw this thread. They told me it was all in order and they would NOT do ANYTHING about the loose rear window. So yes, this is clearly just a UK thing. Not dangerous with loose windows flying through the air and cuts someones neck of i Sweden. Not dangerous kids in the rear seat if the glass breaks either. And very good if it is -35c outside and you have long trip ahead of you.

WE ARE VIKINGS, RIGHT?!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gXX said:

Yes! I've been with my Aygo to my Toyota service here in Sweden, since my window is loose and I saw this thread. They told me it was all in order and they would NOT do ANYTHING about the loose rear window. So yes, this is clearly just a UK thing.

The recall mentioned in the topic is clearly one announced by the UK's government agency responsible for managing the process in the UK.

Perhaps Swedish owners who have Aygos with problematic rear side windows should approach the organisation that is responsible for recalls in Sweden, and raise awareness of their issues, which will hopefully result in a recall in Sweden.

10 hours ago, gXX said:

Yes! I've been with my Aygo to my Toyota service here in Sweden, since my window is loose and I saw this thread. They told me it was all in order and they would NOT do ANYTHING about the loose rear window. So yes, this is clearly just a UK thing. Not dangerous with loose windows flying through the air and cuts someones neck of i Sweden. Not dangerous kids in the rear seat if the glass breaks either. And very good if it is -35c outside and you have long trip ahead of you.

WE ARE VIKINGS, RIGHT?!

Maybe they're more worried about you driving in to mooses than your windows flying out?

21 hours ago, gXX said:

WE ARE VIKINGS, RIGHT?!

i am surprised as the UK is still ( just ) part of the EU so any safety recall launched in the UK would normally apply to similar models across the EU

PM me your chassis (VIN) number and I can look into it further

• Thanks 1