Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2002 Yaris D-4D engine sudden stops

theseddy

Hello all!

I`m new here with my 1st topic which is not that very happy.

In family we have Toyota Yaris 2002, 1.4 D-4D. Good car for our needs, nothing to say. But during the last period, it is showing an engine problem more and more. It stops suddenly. Especially by shifting gears when the throttle is released from higher rpms to lower. At this moment engine stops. Also it sometimes stops when just starting to accelerate. The car starts to go, but then the engine stops.

In both scenarios it is possible to start the engine again only after waiting 1-3 minutes. 

Feels like the engine has lack of fuel at these moments.

We brought the car to Toyota workshop to check this. They said it could be weather the sensor (should be fuel pressure sensor) or the common rail with the valve (pressure control valve). As I now see in manuals, the rail and the valve is as a 1 single unit, not separateable. Isn`t it?

Sensor, for sure, is cheaper to replace, whereas the rail with valve could cost crazy amount of money. In the workshop they could not say which of these needs to be replaced to solve the issue.

So, I now turn to here, hoping to find some ideas. Maybe someone from you all has been in similar situation? Or maybe heard something about it? How to solve it best?

Thanks for help in advance. :)

Have a look at this thread: 

The issue is the increased use of bio diesel mixed in with regular diesel fuel which can create an issue where a biological organism can form/grow in the fuel as it feeds on the bio diesel, as it grows it breaks up then gets sucked up blocking the fuel pickup in the tank as well as the fuel filter and fuel heater.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:17 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Have a look at this thread: 

The issue is the increased use of bio diesel mixed in with regular diesel fuel which can create an issue where a biological organism can form/grow in the fuel as it feeds on the bio diesel, as it grows it breaks up then gets sucked up blocking the fuel pickup in the tank as well as the fuel filter and fuel heater.

Thanks. I saw that thread and tried looking at fuel heater.

Looks like on these pictures. Seems clean, with no dirt or sludge. I did not get the plastic housing out, it did not wanted to move. I decided to leave it inside better not to brake.

03 Fuel heater 1.jpg

04 Fuel heater 2.jpg

05 Fuel heater 3.jpg

06 Fuel heater 4.jpg

On 9/6/2017 at 10:30 PM, fordulike said:

Why not try a fuel system cleaner such as:

Wynn's Xtreme Diesel System Clean

On the panel there is lighting up 1 light, that as I understand, indicates that there is water in the fuel system? After the engine is started, the light is gone.

Maybe I shall try something like this:

valvoline water remover

before trying  Wynn's Xtreme Diesel System Clean ?

Ignition on

01 Ignition on.jpg

Engine started

02 Engine started.jpg

I also recorded engine sound 

What could this uneven engine work indicate to?

2 hours ago, theseddy said:

On the panel there is lighting up 1 light, that as I understand, indicates that there is water in the fuel system? After the engine is started, the light is gone.

01 Ignition on.jpg

Is that not the water temperature check light, which will only light up with engine running if the coolant gets too hot?

Will light up with ignition on, to show the circuit is working, then should go off when engine starts.

2 hours ago, fordulike said:

I suppose you are talking about light nr. 13.

I meant light nr. 21.

From here.

Hi there!

I have started a topic in other forum section here but over there are not that many answers coming.

Maybe someone from here could give somewhat more ideas?

My cars engine is not running smooth when running idle. Any ideas why? Water in the system? Sludge? Pressure not enough? Injectors? Some other issue?

Maybe someone has had something similar and has solved?

Not having two topics open on the same subject, so topics have been merged.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links