Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Test Drive

YarisHybrid2016

Had a test drive in a Gen 4 today while getting my Yaris serviced.

Not much to say except I know what my next car will be! :biggrin:

Driving the Yaris and Prius back-to-back was useful in finding out what was similar (how the hybrid system handled/behaved), as well as different (just about everything else). That said, it also showed what a great car the Yaris is, even if it is very slightly ... less refined (mostly in the areas of sound proofing and the feel of the switches, but in one respect I feel this is an unfair comparison - the Yaris is still solidly built).

The car itself was Excel spec, with I think only standard features. Very smooth ride, and very quiet!

I think the larger mass of the car helped the hybrid system a bit. It didn't need to work quite as hard to maintain speed along general bumps or shallow uphill inclines vs. the Yaris, and it also meant that the regen system could recover more energy.

The Yaris definitely seems best in EV between 0-30 MPH, managing 40 MPH comfortably on the flat, whereas the Prius seemed happy 0-40 MPH and showed EV up to 50 MPH during acceleration.

I also saw EV appear when at 70 MPH which is something you never see on the Yaris. Is EV displaying at this speed the Yaris equivalent of 99.9 on the instantaneous MPG in the same situation? Unfortunately the engine was just too quite to tell if it was running!! :laugh:

One thing I really liked was how LESS sensitive the Prius was in the EV range. As the Yaris accelerates to 40 MPH it becomes very sensitive and a small bump in the road can cause enough throttle motion to cause it to go over the EV range and cause the ICE to start, but this wasn't an issue with the Prius.

It also approved of my driving style, giving 94/100 for eco driving. :biggrin:  It seems you lose points for braking (even if only regen braking) vs. coasting.

Despite it only having 300 miles on the clock, it was reporting 68 MPG over 45 miles of mixed driving (and I wasn't even driving sedately at times... :ph34r: ).

Absolutely fantastic. :cool:

• Like 1

I am resisting going for a test drive, as I would be eager to get one. Just don’t have the money yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

I am resisting going for a test drive, as I would be eager to get one. Just don’t have the money yet.

I'm broke, too! But it did also show how good the Yaris is, too.

I'm actually less inclined to change now! If anything, I'll end up with a second car... :blink:  The dealer would have to come up with a VERY good deal for me to swap (I would definitely miss the glass roof! Why isn't there an option on the Prius for it?).

My problem is I would like a plugin next time
;-)

Still can’t get the girlfriend to try my Auris and then I have a excuse to upgrade [emoji23]

• Haha 1

Dare I say I looked at the price of a PiP the other day - given the Government grant available, I'd have to give it some serious thought (it works out about the same price).

Aside from the plug-in bit and Li-Ion Battery, is there any difference on the hybrid side? If not, my bank account is heading for trouble! :blink:

The Prius has a larger engine than the hybrid Yaris and bigger HV Battery.  The Prius is built around the hybrid engine (there is no petrol or diesel or manual Prius).  Whereas the hybrid Yaris is a Yaris with a hybrid engine.

With regards gen4 Prius vs gen2 PIP.  The big difference is inside the car.  Only 4 seats and even less boot space.  A bit different to the gen3 Prius vs gen1 PIP.  On the plus side, the gen2 PIP gives you heat pump heating.  At least gen2 PIP prices do seem to be in line with standard Prius prices rather than grossly overpriced like the gen1 PIP was.

I'm also put off by no spare wheel option (as in original PiP) and the double curved rear window that mean no rear wiper.

Hi you may not miss the rear wiper as it is so short and on the wrong side of the window for a right hand drive car its useless

• Like 1

Oh, I would.  Although not brilliantly located, I use it a lot on my Gen 4 (as I did on my Gen 2 & 3 models) when the window is dirty or it's raining.

My 2 Gen 1 Prius didn't have a rear wiper and it's one of the only two things I really hated about them (the other being lack of heated mirrors). 

I swore I'd never be without either again.  It's one of the reasons I didn't spend a fortune on a Tesla!

Same here, I would miss it a lot to clear off standing water when in slow moving traffic.

Seems odd that the wiper is set up for right hand drive cars considering the Japanese drive on the same side of the road as us :blush:

I was going to buy the Plug In Prius. I had the charging cable etc installed in our home ready for it. When I read the Plug In has no spare wheel I changed my mind and purchased the Prius Gen 4 with 15 inch wheels. I did not know about the rear wiper problem. The Prius Plug In will have competition in 2019 when the new all electric Mini comes out with a 200 mile range. Maybe Toyota will bring a new all electric car out by 2019?

Prius Plug In already has a lot of competition.  I see a lot of interesting PHEVs while charging my PIP.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:25 PM, Chris Dance said:

The Prius Plug In will have competition in 2019 when the new all electric Mini comes out with a 200 mile range. Maybe Toyota will bring a new all electric car out by 2019?

I can't say it will in my opinion. You can't compare a PHEV to an EV really. That's a bit like saying the original PiP had competition with the Nissan Leaf.

• Like 3

Toyota has probably changed its stance and is planning for all electric. As the hydrogen option maybe a flash in the pan, if nobody else is going to compete with them. The Mirai makes sense in the Orkney’s where there excess electricity is being converted to hydrogen.

I’m hoping in the next 5 years I’ll have more to choose from, with my next second hand Toyota hybrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Mirai might have sold more if it wasn't so expensive, at almost £66K it's not a viable option for general sale.

• Like 1

The Mirai might have sold more if it wasn't so expensive, at almost £66K it's not a viable option for general sale.

Don’t forget there is hardly anywhere to fill it up.

• Like 1

The Gen 4 test drive did it for me, despite having to give up the glass an roof of the Gen 3

the new PiP looks great, but giving up the tow bar bike rack, plus the roof, plus the spare wheel is just several steps too far

i notice in the local movie house that VW are really pushing the Golf GTE with 30 miles of plug in mileage.....nice sun roof but no spare

On 15/09/2017 at 11:53 AM, kithmo said:

It's not meant to be - it's really a technology demonstrator/beta test. Supposedly even at £66k Toyota lose money on it.

• Like 1

It's not meant to be - it's really a technology demonstrator/beta test. Supposedly even at £66k Toyota lose money on it.

At the time Toyota didn’t think electric only was the way to go. Now regulations are charging, they will have change.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

At the time Toyota didn’t think electric only was the way to go. Now regulations are charging, they will have change.

Will they increase efforts on hybrids & PHEV, yes but I don't see them stopping work on Hydrogen anytime soon. It still takes far longer to charge a Battery than refill a hydrogen tank & what are everyone that lives in a building without a dedicated parking space going to do (we can't run cables across the pavement even if we could guarantee getting parked outside our door).

On 9/16/2017 at 9:23 AM, barrycoll said:

the new PiP looks great,

A spirited aqua gen2 PIP drove past me at the weekend.  Looked really nice.  Wife liked it too (and the colour).  Later in the day I saw it parked up at MrT and got a look inside.  It had the cool grey 2 tone seat covers which also looked good (better than the all black finish).  Still not convinced about the rear seating and reduced boot space.  Maybe in a few years when I don't have to ferry lots of people around or shift large loads, I can swap my gen1 PIP.  The extra range would be handy and the new heating system.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be anywhere outside of London where you can refill hydrogen. Do many people even run them?

With Tesla releasing the Model 3 in the next 18-24 months, it wouldn't surprise me if Toyota came out with an EV Prius to compete. It has the car - it just needs to fit the Battery.

I saw a new, blue PiP a little while ago at my local petrol station.

I found a H2 refuelling point near me, about 2 miles away, at the Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP). Apparently you have to book in advance, but I can't find any info on the cost of a refill.