Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D-4D low rev loss of power

Stabes

Hello,

I'm in South Africa, and I own a 2014 Verso 2.0 D-4D (which, I think is the same as the one in the UK). 40 000 miles on the clock. Over the past week the car has completely lost power between 0-2000 revs. After 2000 it takes off like a jet, and if I keep the revs above 2000, the engine behaves like it should. I've had the car at the local Toyota dealer for the past day, and they have told me that there are no faults being reported and none in the fault history of the car. They do fully agree that the low rev power loss is very real - in fact, it's quite dangerous in certain situations.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? 

Mart

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem with my 2.2 D4D (2AD-FTV) engine after I thought I'd be clever and clean my EGR valve. The symptom was exactly as you describe yours: a loss of power at low revs (upto 2000) but was fine when the turbo kicks in at over around 2000 rpm.

I ruched the cleaning of the EGR valve, so wasn't as thourough as it should have been. The valve was stuck open very slightly and this is what was causing the loss of power.

Very surprised to think that such a small opening in the EGR valve could have caused such a huge drop in the engine performance at low rpm.

I fixed it by taking my time with the EGR valve and cleaning it thoroughly including removing the solenoid then using a clamp to depress the pin which slides the valve open and closed and then cleaning the shaft upon which the valve moves up and down on. Even after the thorough clean, the valve still wasn't closing properly so I gently forced the valve shut. This made the difference and the valve opens and shuts freely.

The engine performance was returned to normal immediately.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links