Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start Stop Problems

sox500c

Can anyone advise me on the stop start function on my 2009 Auris 1.33 VVTi TR?

I picked the car up today and I've never had a stop start function on a car before.  The user manual states that if I stop the car, clutch to the floor and change into neutral, then take my foot off the clutch the engine should stop.  This isn't happening, the eco button is engaged (i.e. no light on the button), so I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work.  I have read that the car needs to be warmed up first, but I drove it for over 30 minutes and temperature gauge was around the 50% mark.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or should I be going back to the dealership to get this sorted out?  I didn't question this on the test drive because the salesman said it didn't have start stop, but looking at the manual it seems like it should have, the eco button is fitted and the right hand gauge shows the stop start system operation time if you scroll through, although it is at zero.

Thanks

Rod

All of the 1.33 Auris have stop/start as standard. I've had two 1.33's from new - a 2009 and a 2012.

There are various factors that affect operation of the stop/start system, not just whether the car is fully warmed up. These factors include, but aren't limited to, whether the Battery has sufficient charge, the ambient temperature in the locality, electrical load on the vehicle, etc.

For example it the car has the stereo, air con, blower fan all on, the stop/start may not operate.

The owners manual does detail these limitations.

OK, thanks.  I'll have a good read of the owners manual this weekend.

Couple years ago I bought a used car, from a dealer, that had stop-start. Quickly found out it didnt stop-start like I thought it should - just occasionally. Contacted the dealer who said "thats how they all our, mines just the same". I said I wasnt happy with that explanation and insisted they take a look. They kept the car for 2 days while they charged the Battery system, but they did advise it wasnt a Battery recharge system as you would normally think ie one you could do at home in your own garage.  Picked the car up and stop-start working fine (after the engine warmed up etc). As the colder weather came the system worked less, so its back to the scenario Frosty Balls mentioned in his post - it all depends what electrics are being used.

The stop-start systems IMO were brought in to get the emission figures down/get lower road tax.

24 minutes ago, Catlover said:

The stop-start systems IMO were brought in to get the emission figures down/get lower road tax.

The systems were introduced to reduce emissions and improve economy. For example my 1.33 Auris was more economical around town than my previous 1.4 Corolla.

Lower road tax - other countries have different taxation systems, so really this was an additional positive effect for the UK rather than a main reason for having stop/start.

The majority of journeys we make will be quite short, 15-30 minutes, so stop-start is unlikely to make much of a difference to fuel economy.  But I would like to know that it works because I have paid for it, I'll be taking a trip to south Wales soon so hopefully that will ensure the Battery if fully charged, assuming it's not on it's way out, giving me the opportunity to test it.

I did a couple of threads on this in the past.

You might also be interested in this. 7.5 yrs old and the issue occurs every 10 to 15 months or so.  

Thanks Mooly, I have a trip to south Wales next week, so hopefully that will ensure the Battery is fully charged, assuming it's not on it's way out, and I'll see how it goes from there.

• 1 year later...

Is it ok to put 5w 30 c3 engine oil in my 2009 1.33 stop start Auris 

Although 5W30 isn't the preferred viscosity (Toyota recommend 0W20) my personal experience of deliberately switching to Castrol Magnetic 5W30 has been very positive. Any decrease in MPG due to the thicker oil has been unnoticeable and I'm constantly aware of how smooth it seems. That impression has remained over several months.