Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Speedo repeater

Colin M51

I purchased my Hybrid Rav4 BE Plus new in October last year and overall am very pleased but I have one issue with the forward facing camera and software that is designed to pick out the roadside road speed signs and display them in the centre of the dash panel. It is very often wrong and not in alignment with the road speed shown on the sat-nav. Despite putting the car back to the dealership specifically for that issue, when the software was apparently updated and again during first service when the camera was changed, the issue still persists and I can't get any traction towards a positive resolution. Has anybody else suffered the same problem and got a successful response? The situation is further exacerbated by a seemingly lack of will on the part of the dealership service department to communicate even if only to say they are still working on it without success!

Logically and legally the repeater will have to show the same speed as the speedometer. Legally a speedometer has to over-read within certain limits. For example:

In the UK, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed, and additionally for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

Our i20 has a digital repeater in addition to the analogue speedometer, and readings from the two tally.

Satnav's use GPS to provide an average speed over a given number of points and is often more accurate than speedometer readings.

The speed readings of the speedometer/repeater will never match the speed readings from the satnav, as the systems used to provide the speed readings are different.

Thanks FROSTYBALLS, but I have obviously not described the situation clearly enough, as the sat-nav shows an image of  road speed sign on the screen, i.e. white circle red border with the posted limit in black. Equally the camera is supposed to pick up this from the roadside signage and show that in the centre rectangular portion of the dash board which sits between the speedometer dial and the power indication dial which incorporates the engine temperature gauge. This is the panel that aslo shows what gear you are, the time, temperature and your avg. fuel usage and distance to next fuel stop. This is particularly useful in motorway roadworks, as an example, where the sat-nav  will typically show 70 vmph as the national standard speed limit, but the temporary road signs may show 50 or 40 mph. It is somewhat alarming to be driving in a 50 mph limit to suddenly have 90 ,110 or even 130 appear in the centre dash console. I even thought it was a software translation fault at first an this was showing the kilometer equivalent speed, but I was later able to confirm it was in mph by exceeding the stated speed and turning the sign to full red with black numbers. If I could see how to upload a picture I would do so and it would become immediately clearer!

The "Road sign assist" mearly repeats the speed it reads on road signs that resemble official speed signs, through driving a car equipped with the system I have noticed it see's signs in car parks or side roads as i'm driving on the main carriage it also sometimes see's signs on the back of buses/lorries that are displaying their various speed limits (usually in KMH ), could it be these symbols/signs on other traffic that you are experiencing in your Rav4?

Dear Devon Aygo, Thanks but this is definitely not the  case. Although it is upside down, see attachment showing speedo repeater showing 120 mph .

Speedo Photo from 23rd Feb showing 120km.jpg

120 (kph) is the motorway speed limit in a number of European countries so it is at least possible that the system could have read that on the back of a Continental lorry. Remember that is is simply an image recognition system (AFAIK) so it will display whatever it sees ... I don't have one so can't comment from experience though, from what you say, it doesn't seem terribly useful!

Hi I had the same on my prius Mk4 reading up to 130 mph and only being 50 %accurate this happened for 18 months untill I had to have the screen replaced the dealer had to recallibrate the camera it is now 95% accurate  the recallibration did take three hours and the insurance did cover it .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links