Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding usb port to a 07-10 Auris

shanemc

Hi folks, what are my options for adding a usb port to my 2008 Auris? Can I fit one from an existing model Toyota? Thanks 

what do you want the USB port for - just for charging stuff or for playing music from?

If the latter what head unit do you have?

different head units will have been fitted according to trim grade.

Perhaps something like www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-AURIS-MP3-SD-USB-CD-AUX-Input-Audio-Adapter-Digital-CD-Changer-Module-6-6-/141867849410 or you might consider updating to a more modern head unit (not necessarily a Toyota one).

OK thanks. What options do I have, if any, if I wanted to fit a Toyota head unit with usb that'll fit in my dashboard? 

Tbh unless buying s/h it will be a lot cheaper to use a 3rd party product than a Toyota one, especially if you also wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade to DAB, satnav etc. too.

Is your head unit single or double DIN size?

Look at my posts. they apply to most Toyota that have the CD changer socket at the rear - 

What and how I fitted the USB adapter -

Some of the options available - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Toyota+USb+adapter&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Toyota+USB+MP3+adapter&_sacat=0

There are more expensive options, but it depends how much you want to spend.

On 22/09/2017 at 8:02 PM, Konrad C said:

Look at my posts. they apply to most Toyota that have the CD changer socket at the rear - 

What and how I fitted the USB adapter -

Some of the options available - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Toyota+USb+adapter&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Toyota+USB+MP3+adapter&_sacat=0

There are more expensive options, but it depends how much you want to spend.

That's great info, thanks for that 

I fitted this adapter:

blob.png.a0cf86821758f14d21fc49b282c59712.png

USB and AUX socket are installed here, nearby mirrors switch: 

blob.png.6052c10c5a3778ebb4c797f25ca5b06c.png

very good sound quality, same as a real CD changer.

• Like 1

Any USB/AUX adapter plugged via the CD changer port at the rear of the stereo will sound as good as the stereo itself, depending on the quality of the MP3. It will sound far better than the cheap FM adapters. The USB has the advantage of changing the tracks via the steering or stereo controls - devices plugged into the AUX can in theory get you into trouble being classed as handheld device.
bluetooth is also useful, but the adapter with bluetooth seem to have less volume, especially with voice calls. The bluetooth on mine also outputs the music in mono. Not a problem as I play my music via USB from memory stick.  

Here are some eBay searches.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=toyota+mp3+usb+adapters&_sacat=0

• 4 years later...

I have a 2010 auris hybrid with sat nav stereo. it has an auxillary port in glove compartment but no usb if I replace it with one from a toyota  that has a usb do you think it will work. Thanks

Do you need usb for charging only, or to play music?

I presume it's for music, in that case it would be cheaper and easier to use one of those adapters, instead of changing out the unit.