Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Impressions and questions for Aygo 2014 model

mentoras

Has anyone tried to open this front port? I think it is too easy to be opened. Just a simple push, and voila, it's gone.

I believe that one day I will go to my Aygo and I will see this piece missing, leaving an awful hole in the front side of the car... :(

front-port.jpg

That is the cover for the towing eye socket - so no need to remove until you need to be towed somewhere. These are quite common on cars.

Yes, I know it.

But it made me big impression how easy it is to open up, just with a minimal pressure.

Suppose if one was broken down and needed to be towed, one wouldn't want to have too much difficulty getting to the towing eye socket - especially at night and if the weather was poor. I've yet to see an Aygo with the cover missing ....

• 3 weeks later...

AIR PRESSURE

Has anyone dealt with tires' air pressure?

When I was using the aygo 1st generation, even with the tires the car came with, losing air pressure even during a monthly period was a usual incident.

But now, the new aygo has a system for watching internally this task, and so far I have never any sign of losing air. Not only this, but even when I periodically check air pressure in tires repair shops, even after months, the air pressure is almost identical, like not losing air at all or losing very few air, nothing significant. So it seems that this rather serious problem of 1st generation of aygos, to be fixed.

What are your impressions and experiences on this topic?

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, mentoras said:

AIR PRESSURE

Has anyone dealt with tires' air pressure?

When I was using the aygo 1st generation, even with the tires the car came with, losing air pressure even during a monthly period was a usual incident.

But now, the new aygo has a system for watching internally this task, and so far I have never any sign of losing air. Not only this, but even when I periodically check air pressure in tires repair shops, even after months, the air pressure is almost identical, like not losing air at all or losing very few air, nothing significant. So it seems that this rather serious problem of 1st generation of aygos, to be fixed.

No relevant experiences anyone?

The Aygo uses an indirect tyre pressure monitoring system where loss of tyre pressure is measured by comparing rotational differences between the tyres. It can indicate a loss of pressure but doesn't narrow this down to a specific tyre. Some other cars use a direct system which uses tyre pressure sensors in each wheel.

I've had one instance where the tpms triggered the warning light, and, on checking the tyre pressures, found a slow puncture in the offside front tyre - repaired free of charge by my Toyota dealer.

With variances in ambient temperatures, tyres will show differences in pressure, and need adjusting from time to time.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2018 at 5:03 PM, mentoras said:

It sounds like you had a bad set of wheels or badly fitted tyres on your 1st generation Aygo as afaik it's not a common problem.

On 3.3.2018 at 3:11 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Aygo uses an indirect tyre pressure monitoring system where loss of tyre pressure is measured by comparing rotational differences between the tyres. It can indicate a loss of pressure but doesn't narrow this down to a specific tyre. Some other cars use a direct system which uses tyre pressure sensors in each wheel.

I've had one instance where the tpms triggered the warning light, and, on checking the tyre pressures, found a slow puncture in the offside front tyre - repaired free of charge by my Toyota dealer.

With variances in ambient temperatures, tyres will show differences in pressure, and need adjusting from time to time.

So the Aygo 2 gives me a signal over its system, when one tyre lost air, right ?

Guys, am entering this discussion, which advice or suggestion you can make me on how to control the underneath of the Aygo 2, to check if everything there is ok ?

37 minutes ago, aygoes said:

So the Aygo 2 gives me a signal over its system, when one tyre lost air, right ?

When the system detects a difference in the rotation of the tyres, the tpms warning light (similar to the image below) will be displayed in the instrument cluster.

This means one or more of the tyres may be losing pressure, and one needs to physically check with a tyre pressure gauge which tyre(s) may be losing pressure. Occasionally where the outside temperature may have dropped by a few degrees (eg overnight), air in the tyres will have contracted due to the cold, and the tpms warning light may illuminate for a few miles until either the tyres warm up or the outside temperature increases.

Related image

37 minutes ago, aygoes said:

Guys, am entering this discussion, which advice or suggestion you can make me on how to control the underneath of the Aygo 2, to check if everything there is ok ?

Ideally with any car, regular checks on things like the oil level, windscreen washer fluid, tyre pressures, whether all lights are working, etc, should help avoid issues. Some people do these sort of checks weekly. As regards tyres, one can buy a good quality tyre pressure gauge from outlets like Halfords, Amazon, eBay, etc. Eg - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69923-Tyre-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0002GV27W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1520602395&sr=8-9&keywords=tyre+pressure+gauge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-GLOSSE-Digital-Backlight-Motorcycles/dp/B074QRMFPP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1520602395&sr=8-8&keywords=tyre+pressure+gauge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodyguard-Pressure-Gauge-100PSI-Motorbike/dp/B0723F3ZHN/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1520602395&sr=8-11&keywords=tyre+pressure+gauge

One could also invest in either a foot pump or electric compressor for inflating tyres, and a tyre depth gauge for checking whether your tyres have enough tread (minimum 1.6mm) - eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-CUS12200-Single-Barrel-Footpump/dp/B000V5IG7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520602664&sr=1-1&keywords=michelin+tyre+foot+pump&dpID=511TZQtTX8L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Inflator-Compact-Lightweight-Travel/dp/B00HWMPK6S/ref=sr_1_19?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520602606&sr=1-19&keywords=tyre+foot+pump

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EZI-Display-Digital-0-25mm-1000560/dp/B00OZFDJOA/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520602707&sr=1-7&keywords=tyre+depth+gauge&dpID=41BmtiAH8SL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

37 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Ideally with any car, regular checks on things like the oil level, windscreen washer fluid, tyre pressures, whether all lights are working, etc, should help avoid issues. Some people do these sort of checks weekly. As regards tyres, one can buy a good quality tyre pressure gauge from outlets like Halfords, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Eg - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69923-Tyre-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0002GV27W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1520602395&sr=8-9&keywords=tyre+pressure+gauge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-GLOSSE-Digital-Backlight-Motorcycles/dp/B074QRMFPP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1520602395&sr=8-8&keywords=tyre+pressure+gauge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodyguard-Pressure-Gauge-100PSI-Motorbike/dp/B0723F3ZHN/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1520602395&sr=8-11&keywords=tyre+pressure+gauge

One could also invest in either a foot pump or electric compressor for inflating tyres, and a tyre depth gauge for checking whether your tyres have enough tread (minimum 1.6mm) - eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-CUS12200-Single-Barrel-Footpump/dp/B000V5IG7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520602664&sr=1-1&keywords=michelin+tyre+foot+pump&dpID=511TZQtTX8L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Inflator-Compact-Lightweight-Travel/dp/B00HWMPK6S/ref=sr_1_19?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520602606&sr=1-19&keywords=tyre+foot+pump

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EZI-Display-Digital-0-25mm-1000560/dp/B00OZFDJOA/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520602707&sr=1-7&keywords=tyre+depth+gauge&dpID=41BmtiAH8SL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks, I will look at these links you gave, how can one check all the things under the car ?

Aside from the above checks, you shouldn't need to check anything underneath.  In winter and at the end of the winter months, when one washes the car, it does pay to wash the underside and inside the wheel arches with a hose or similar to get rid of road salt, build up of road dirt, mud, etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any dash board sun cover for aygo? I can't locate anything on my beloved eBay.

I mean with fabric material, for permanent covering of aygo's dashboard.

Don't think this would be as good idea as it would interfere with the operation of the passenger airbag. If you're finding reflections to be an issue try treating the dash with a matt trim protector - eg: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armorall-Interior-Dashboard-Cleaner-Protector/dp/B073WHGGDK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1522943961&sr=8-13&keywords=Matt+dashboard+cleaner

I don't think wipes is any kind of solution, other than coping with dirt.

My main concern is not about sun itself while driving. It is about the dust it collects after a few days, from my previous cleaning. And mainly, the fact that I dislike how the plastics smell after some years of sun exposition.

I manage to park in covered parkings most of times. But I still remember the old days when I was younger (and possibly less concerned)  with my xsara, that its plastics smell so badly after some years, that I could not even drive for long as it was really awful for me. So I can't imagine face a similar problem in the future with my new aygo. I do take care of it, I keep it clean, I park in covered parkings, I put sunshields when I park in random places, but, I would like to have a permanent protection for aygo's dashboard, to be there and protect the plastics, for longevity and always an affordable smell for me.

This is why I seek such a fabric cover for my aygo's dashboard.

Very mych doubt as to whether anything suitable exists - and as I said previously, if it covered the passenger side as well, it would interfere with the airbag operation. Despite any fabric cover, the plastic is still there and may still produce a smell. 

• 2 weeks later...

I get the impression that air condition (cold air) has no additional fuel consumption?

Trip computer shows nothing when I have the car stopped but with engine in regular function. Also in real term conditions, I have not seen paying anything more than the usual fuel costs, whether I have used the a/c or not.

Is this a false impression of mine?

Probably has a slight effect on fuel consumption - we keep ours on all the time. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 6:10 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Probably has a slight effect on fuel consumption - we keep ours on all the time. 

Quite impressive, don't you think?

My older car, opel vectra, with a much more powerful engine, had significant increase in fuel consumption when I used clima.

I wonder, how they did it in toyota? How they provide an air condition with almost no additional fuel consumption?

It probably depends on the the outside temperature and the settings in the car.

As you may have noticed when parked up that the compressor cycles between on and off which can help reduce fuel consumption.

For example if the interior fan is on maximum then all the cold is expelled into the cabin so the a/c compressor needs to work for longer periods. 

Also the percentage of engine power used at higher speeds is less than when the engine is idling.

• Like 1

Please take a look at the windscreen. It was like this, almost from the very first moment. This is the left side of the exterior/windscreen on the edge, where a rubber/plastic seems to be there for some reason, and as you can see, it is not so well fitted, while on the right side it is sticked on the glass. Is this any kind of a future problem, or just a bad quality part? Should I do something about it?

windscreen2.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links