Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have Toyota thought of a Lexus Aygo?

Agent Orange

This might sound a bit daft but as a "City" car the Aygo is just about unbeatable (I'm including the Citroen and Peugeot versions in that thought, by the way) but with the Lexus brand, Toyota have an ability to take the Aygo a step further.

As things are a bit quiet, at the moment, on here....This might be the chance to get in a bit of a "Luxury wish list" if we were the Toyota Pimp Department.

OK, here goes:

Dump the Toyota Badge for the Lexus "L" and give us full leather (Including the dashboard) and a full, integrated bluetooth/sat nav/DAB/touchscreen....ANDROID (so that we can add apps) central screen.

Release the Aygo in that fantastic metallic red that is available on Lexus models and throw on some deeper dish (Only slightly) alloys and get rid of the pronounced "X" front end...

....Aston Martin have done something similar with the iQ but Toyota could do it as an actual model, maybe the AC, or if that is already taken by another company, the YC.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit bonkers here and I'm big enough and daft enough to be ridiculed but is there not a market for a fully luxurious, small, reliable, economical, city/runabout/2 people...as in Husband and Wife only...Car?

I welcome your thoughts as a bit of fun.....Go on, you know you want to!  :wink:

Have fun! :smile:

Can see where your'e going with that, Neil...and not such a daft idea per se..I'm all for luxury.!!!

Only concern would be what "Lexus" would do to the price.?...after all, peeps will only pay so much for a "runabout/city" car won't they.?

...and could it sell in viable numbers I wonder.?

Toyota did have a premium city car with the IQ, which was eventually stopped due to low sales volumes, and, I suspect, as it was made in Japan, the issue with exchange rates making it quite expensive in Europe.

The current Aygo's range was broadened to cater for those wanting more upmarket features such as leather seat coverings, climate control, etc.

I would imagine that, if Lexus were to produce a smaller car, they would go for something Yaris-based. Their current entry level car, the CT (Auris based) is due to be replaced with a crossover - presumably based on the C-HR.

Anyway as regards the Aygo, and given the above, Lexus could go down the lines of a luxury, crossover Aygo. Fully trimmed interior with full door cards, raised ride height and body mouldings (wheel arches, front and rear skid plates, sill mouldings, etc), better soundproofing, etc. Possibly a mild hybrid.

Calling it the AC may cause issues with AC Cars - which is still in existence and now assemble cars in South Africa for sale worldwide.

2 hours ago, RUToyota said:

Only concern would be what "Lexus" would do to the price.?...after all, peeps will only pay so much for a "runabout/city" car won't they.?

...and could it sell in viable numbers I wonder.?

@RUToyota  Two good points there, Neil and if they did hike the price to Aston Martin Cygnet levels, then I do think it would be a non-starter.  A 2011 Cygnet seems to still command about the £30,000 mark on Auto Trader and they actually stopped making them due to lack of demand.  However, I'm like you and I'm all for a bit of luxury....at the right price, of course.

@FROSTYBALLS  I like your idea of an Aygo Crossover, Mike....Fully trimmed door cards and better soundproofing would take the Aygo up a level and the Hybrid option is something that I hadn't thought of.

I suppose that if we really wanted a luxury Aygo, we could do it ourselves....A trip to a Car Interior Trimmer, such as the one in the Birmingham area that features regularly on "Car S.O.S." and handing over a few thousand pounds, followed by a complete respray, a new set of alloys and a stainless steel exhaust should cover it.....Oh, hang on....I think that I've just blown about eight grand....Just as well that all of this is a pipedream isn't it? :wink:

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

I'd like a hybrid Aygo with a CVT auto gear box

I second that; a hybrid or even electric version of Aygo (like the VW e-Up!) with a CVT instead of the X-Shift would also be my choice :-)

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:02 AM, Agent Orange said:

This might sound a bit daft but as a "City" car the Aygo is just about unbeatable (I'm including the Citroen and Peugeot versions in that thought, by the way) but with the Lexus brand, Toyota have an ability to take the Aygo a step further.

I am afraid that I will have to question the "unbeatable" part'; hard to see a clear winner in a competition between Aygo, and other city cars like Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, VW Up, Renault Twingo etc. When I had to make a choice between these models, I found it harder than I expected as each one of these models had it strengths and weaknesses... Sorry for the off-topic!

1 hour ago, Pytheas said:

When I had to make a choice between these models, I found it harder than I expected as each one of these models had it strengths and weaknesses...

Me too

Ok, to get back on the topic: I am not into luxury stuff, especially in practical items like cars. I prefer practicality over luxury, to be precise. I don't like leather and I would be scared to see e.g. stains on them or scratches on my high-quality dashboard. I'd rather keep it cheap and easy to fix/replace.

So, instead of a luxurious version of an Aygo, I would prefer a version with some improvements over the typical model, including a CVT (instead of the X-Shift), a hybrid or at least a factory LPG version, an Android-based head unit (to add more functionality over the existing one, as someone already pointed out), larger back windows, a better arrangement of engine parts (see coolant reservoir), a trunk light, smarter back seats (better/full folding, sliding). If I had more time, I could come up with some additional points.

All these enhancements could be applied without affecting the dimensions of our Aygo, one of its strong points :-)

I drove a Toyota Aygo Black as a courtesy car while my Peugeot 107 was being repaired (some clown went in to the side of me). And the difference was worlds apart, my 107 felt very "kitchen canteen" compared to the Aygo which felt like a quality motor. They were the same age too, so I was comparing like for like.

It's worth remembering too that Aston Martin had their own city car, which was a rebadged iQ. Done for EU emissions rules.

Going slightly off-topic, but it puzzles me why in the UK the 'premium' brand Lexus gets only a 3 year warranty whereas Toyotas get a 5 year warranty? As I tend to buy my cars when they are 3-4 years old it immediately puts me off buying a Lexus-badged anything!

Toyota's five year/100,000 mile new car warranty dates back to the accelerator pedal recall of 2010. Toyota GB decided to put into place a warranty extension of two years to counter any detrimental effects to Toyota sales in the UK. The rest of Europe retained the standard three year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

Presumably as Lexus GB didn't have as many  cars affected by the accelerator pedal issue, retaining the three year/60,000 mile new car warranty wasn't as much of a risk.

• Thanks 1

the question is why dont you get a CT if you want a bit more luxury,the Ct is a great little car / city car

it probably returns more mpg than the aygo, when i had mine it used to return 62mpg during the summer

months and around 58 mpg during the winter months,with regards to the lexus warranty i have questioned

this whilst having my car serviced and the answer i got was because their rivals in the market place like

Audi,Bmw & mercedes also only have a 3 year warranty and if one of them upped their warranty period

lexus would follow suit.

The Lexus CT is two market segments above the Aygo, and is as much of a city car as the Auris on which it is based.

i suppose it depends what you feel a city car is, is it a car that is small and compact

or is it a car that creates low polution in populated areas where the public's heath

may be put at risk,

is a mini 1 a city car ??? its small compact and has a ved cost of £190 per annum, so imo no

but it meets the criteria with it being compact.

City cars are from the A market sector - coming below the B sector(supermini), and C market sector (medium family car).

The current Mini 3/5 door is in the B market sector (supermini).

so the possiblity of there being an Aygo thats a premium car can never happen

16 minutes ago, eygo said:

so the possiblity of there being an Aygo thats a premium car can never happen

Not necessarily the case.  

Going back to the period 2008-2013, the IQ was Toyota's premium offering in the city car sector with the larger, first generation Aygo being the 'standard' model. There was also the IQ based Aston Martin Cygnet, which although it existed for different reasons, was still a premium city car.

As regards Lexus. the CT is due for replacement and Lexus have stated this replacement will be a crossover - probably using the C-HR as the basis. With the Lexus crossover costing more than the C-HR which is similarly priced to the CT, this will leave scope for a smaller, cheaper model, if Lexus decided to go that way. 

Although, as I said earlier, if Lexus were to extend their range downwards, I would suspect this would be Yaris sized - and have a similar relationship to the Yaris as the VW Polo/Audi A1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Although, as I said earlier, if Lexus were to extend their range downwards, I would suspect this would be Yaris sized - and have a similar relationship to the Yaris as the VW Polo/Audi A1.

I second that; one of the objectives of a city car (apart from its tiny dimensions) is the low cost, so that it be affordable as the main car (for singles) and a second car (for couples and families). So, by default, car manufacturers start with basic trims of a model (couldn't imagine a model w/o central locking in 2017, but of course it is an option) and go up by offering more well-equipped versions which focus more on practicality (another objective of a city car) and much less on luxury. For example, upper trims of Aygo include start and stop, speed limiter (?), the safety pack, driver's seat height adjustment. Based on that, users are offered additional options - can I say luxurious? - such as alloy wheels, leather-like steering wheel and clima, to name a few.

Any attempt by any company (e.g. Lexus) to manufacture an expensive city car would be doomed (see the Cygnet case) as those who could afford it wouldn't be interested in small city cars, even for their children. A Yaris-sized model would make sense, but it would still be too expensive for casual users  :-)

The Cygnet was produced to reduce Aston Martins average emissions figures within the EU, not nessarily to offer a luxurious city car. It was also more of a conversion.

So although the Cygnet may not have sold that well, its objective was different and was achieved.

That's true about the Aston Cygnet. Certainly wasn't done for profit. They appear to have sold................. about 150 even with the draw of the Aston Martin Badge

Regards a Lex version................

"Good afternoon, Sir. May I interest you in our new luxurious city car? It has a luxurious lack of space, power and handling!"

FIAT 500 Riva exists for those looking to go very slowly while enjoying wood panelling. And a Fiat 500 is a much better car than the Aygo to start with.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Cygnet was produced to reduce Aston Martins average emissions figures within the EU, not nessarily to offer a luxurious city car. It was also more of a conversion.

So although the Cygnet may not have sold that well, its objective was different and was achieved.

I wasn't aware of such details; thanks for sharing. I guess that now there's no need for a Cygnet...

On 30/09/2017 at 6:36 AM, Pytheas said:

I wasn't aware of such details; thanks for sharing. I guess that now there's no need for a Cygnet...

I remember that Aston gifted away some Cygnet when people buy their other cars. 

Lexus official website shows a small concept car called LF-SA:
https://www.lexus.co.uk/discover-lexus/concept-cars/lf-sa/

I agree with people above. A hybrid Aygo is my dream car, it would be an instabay for me!!! I don't care if it's as expensive as a Yaris while being smaller. I don't care if it's heavy. I don't care if it has no boot because of the Battery cell. Toyota is extending its HSD-CVT technology to its range so I remain hopeful for the future.

The LF-SA is based on the Yaris and dates back to 2015. Compact crossover along the same lines as the Nissan Juke.