Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I?

Top Starlet

Hi .... due to the blowing up of my  07 Kia Sorrento I need something to get around in and spotted this on the forecourt of my local garage where they are selling it on behalf of someone. It's a 2002 Yaris Colour Collection 1.1 5dr with MOT until August 18 and 54000 miles, one owner from new. There's a few advisories on the MOT ... but the garage have said they'll stick in on the ramps and check it over if I'm interested. The question is (as I am the king of indecision) should I even be considering a car of this age? Would it see me a couple of years?  and how much should I spend on it to bring it up to scratch before it gets silly and uneconomical? 

Thank you in advance for any advice offered. I would dearly like to stay in the forum and contribute but it all boils down to money in the end.

I used to sell Toyotas back in the late 70's and early 80's in the days of import restrictions so I am well aware of the superior reliability of these cars but back in those days a car of this age simply wouldn't exist anymore and there aren't too many of this age about now.

Thanks again for any guidance of what to look for etc.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

I wouldn't be put off by the age. I have a 1999, 1.0L petrol Yaris that's done 108,000 miles and is no problem at all - passes the MOT every year and hasn't cost much to run. A common problem is the anti roll bar drop links needing replacing - but this is fairly cheap to do - about £80 when my garage did one side for me. That and a new exhaust is all that that I've had to have done over the last 4 years.

Thanks for that talldave. That is reassuring to know and gives me a bit of insight. the things listed on the MOT advisories are probably going to be my main concern by the sound of it ....any mention of corrosion scars the bejeezus out of me. Even my local garage where the car is at are bemused by the reference to the suspension weakened part, but I guess getting it up on the ramps will answer that one.

MOT history

Date tested10 August 2017 

PASS 

Mileage54,560 miles 

MOT test number6169 9086 3358 

Expiry date9 August 2018 

Advisory notice item(s)

• Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)
  • Suspension weakened but no possibility of the body or a component fouling a road wheel (2.4.A.1b)
  • Exhaust corroded
  • Brake pipe slightly corroded various (3.6.B.2c)
 What are these?

Date tested10 August 2017 

FAIL 

Mileage54,558 miles 

MOT test number6988 4678 7652 

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Nearside Rear Outer Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)
  • Suspension weakened but no possibility of the body or a component fouling a road wheel (2.4.A.1b)
  • Exhaust corroded

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links