Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Roadster

Fidgits

What image do you think the new MR2 roadster has???  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What image do you think the new MR2 roadster has???

• Cool sports car
    • okay, but older ones are better
    • its a hairdressers car
    • You have to be a girl or a puff to drive one
    • dont know

well, i was thinking of adding the MR2 Roadster onto the new car possible list...

but im not sure of its image, so what do you guys think???

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fidgits

• perry190

• Bibbs

• Fizz

They go OK....worked and with the right kit there pretty cool but I'd take a SW20 anyday ;) I'd rarther have a elise I think.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

its a nice looker but toyota ballsed up when they didnt put the 1.8 corolla/celica TS engine in!

gotta admit though in order of liking the mr2 its gotta be mk2, mk1 and then the mk3!

its a nice looker but toyota ballsed up when they didnt put the 1.8 corolla/celica TS engine in!

gotta admit though in order of liking the mr2 its gotta be mk2, mk1 and then the mk3!

Agree'd & agree'd :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

got followed by one with a kit on and lowered and it looked pretty mean, but im not sure on the rear end it just doesnt work for me. <_<

You have to be a girl or a puff to drive one! (In standard form)......... but we all know u wouldn't keep it standard eh?

the looks and the performance of the mk3 are not up to par with the mk1 and mk2 mr2's, they still handle well on track and are good competitors for there place in the current market, just a shame the trade now focuses on other aspects than the time when the old cars were introduced.....

Also have to remember when the mk2 was launched wasnt it over 20k ???

I was sat in one today at the local dealer whilst my dad was trying to

sort a test drive in a yaris.

Have to say i dont like anything about it.

One thing that caught my eye when i drove in was a stunning rev 5 mr2 in red,

It was sold so i dont know how much it was but if i had the choice between that and an mr-s, I know which one it would be.

Kitted-up they look sweet, but I feel the same way about the Gen7 Celica & I love them.

The one above is very nice. B)

wait for the tubby mk3 to come out mate   ;)

or make your own.. :yes:

There was one at Bolney.. fully modded and kitted out!.. :drool:

Let me find my pics.. :thumbsup:

IMGP0194.jpg

Click here for more links of the lovey Mk3 Tubby!!!! :drool:

Thanks for posting that matey...I was gonna get some 18" BK racing wheels the same as those in the pic for my 2'......but after seeing them on a car I think they look shat !

As for MR2s, the Mk 1s are the most fun and the best for *****-out action that can be controlled......the Mk2s are by far the best looking 2 seater sports car that you can buy for the money......and the Mk3..well what can I say.....I hate them with a passion, to me they look like a toy car.....I parked next to one the other day and I must say that I didn't realise how small they are....I wouldn't fit in one for sure.....which is a good thing......defo' a birds / puffs* car !

*The opinions of this post do not neccessarily reflect the opinions of other forum users.....but face it...it's a birds car ! :thumbsup:

yeah they are pretty small, i didnt realise that until i drove past one near my home. That tubby must be fast as **** though!

Toyota ballsed it up when they gave it those frog-eyed headlights, next to zero luggage space, and no roof.

The UK MKii prices when first launched:

the 'coupe' (3S-FE) was £14,000

the GT was £15,441

and the GT T-Bar was £16,650

Pretty expensive at the time to be honest, especially when you compare it to say new Celica's and the mk3 today - they've loads of airbags, AC, side impact beams etc etc etc.

and the tubbies? i know they are imports... but new i was told about £24k?

Oh dear, you guys have no idea... :huh:

The Mk3 in standard form is a cracker. Its light (980kg) and its very-very nimble. Its basically a bargain of a sportscar...

It puts out 140bhp/tonne as standard, which is more than enough to see it well past any other version of the MR2 bar the Mk2 turbo. Mk1's and Mk2 NA's are easy prey, (You guys must have seen the Mk1 vs. Mk3 drag race on Top Gear? and lets face it, Mk2 NA's are positively pedestrian) and when it comes to the twisty bits, it'll need a seriously sorted Mk2 to keep up.

Compared against the Elise, well clearly its not as raw, or as driver biased, but its pretty close. With the added bonus of being nearly HALF the price of an elise. Plus you get the cheapest ownership experience I've ever known, almost total reliability, a roof that shows more expensive cars the way in simplicity and effectivness, and no leaks...

And thats just the stock car. The simple fitment of a unichip will add a whole heap of torque and take you to 160bhp/tonne, add Toyota's sportivo suspension kit and a set of sticky tyres and you'll be pulling more lateral G's that you can shake a stick at.

If raw power is your thing then theres an officially sanctioned Toyota TTE turbo kit coming out later this year, which will take the little roadster up into the realms of 200hp/tonne. Not bad for what you guys think is a !Removed! car eh? Especially when you consider it'll be warrantied too... Think of it, you can have a totally sorted 200hp MR2, a second car, and still have change for a round of beers from themoney you'd have spent on a new Elise...

If you prefer frantic revs then the 2ZZ celica/corrolla engine can be swapped in. Its been done, and its not as hard as you'd think either. I've been involved in such a swap recently and I'm amazed at how relatively simple it is.

So, Hairdressers/girls/puffs car eh? Not on on your life... If you want proof of the pudding, check this out...

stock-unichip-turbo.png

past any other version of the MR2 bar the Mk2 turbo

And there lies the problem ..

I admit that the car is a budget sports car .. but it's not my cup of tea (just like the MX-5, MGF, 206cc ...)

but it's not my cup of tea (just like the MX-5, MGF, 206cc ...)

In 2001 when I first bought mine, I thought the same thing. very budget. But trust me, your opinion changes when you actually drive one... The communication, the response, the whole driver oriented focus of the car was like none of the immediate competition, and far more in keeping with the Elises and Caterhams that I'd driven previously. Honestly, its that good!

As for the MG-F and the 206CC? Not even in the same league. Any car that puts so much effort into style at the expense of ability is going to be seriously flawed, and they are. The MX-5 is a &#33;Removed&#33; good car, but that has an even worse image problem than the Mk3 '2.

Do yourselves a favour before you so roundly slate the mk3, and put potential buyers off of them. DRIVE one. You may like it, and the sales you dont prevent will ensure that theres a Mk4 version that you may like even more...

You have to be a girl or a puff to drive one!  (In standard form).........

Indeed, when compared to the throbbing 4 wheeled estrogen fueled tart chariot you drive (A Yaris GS FFS!), it's a pink tricycle with handlebar tassles... It clearly has no right to share the Queens highway with such rarified exotica as your steed...

Jesus... I'm disapointed when I get one of those as a courtesy car, and you paid good money for one? And then reckon my car is a girls car?

You have to be a girl or a puff to drive one!  (In standard form).........

Indeed, when compared to the throbbing 4 wheeled estrogen fueled tart chariot you drive (A Yaris GS FFS!), it's a pink tricycle with handlebar tassles... It clearly has no right to share the Queens highway with such rarified exotica as your steed...

Jesus... I'm disapointed when I get one of those as a courtesy car, and you paid good money for one, and then reckon my car is a girls car?

hey hey...

lets keep this civil!

Everyone has different opinions, and are free to share them (hence the reason for this poll).. you've shared yours GSB, and they are noted..

Dont start personal attacks on people just because their opinions differ from yours!

Dont start personal attacks on people just because their opinions differ from yours!

So a bit of a gentle ribbing of a member with regard to his chosen ride is a personal attack, whereas intimating that all owners of a particular model of car are homosexuals isnt?

Get a grip Fidgits, I'm just having a laugh with the guy...

yeah yeah.... <_< I believe you, thousands wouldnt..

At the end of the day I wanted opinions, which i have got, I dont want a school-yard argument...

Well here we go - generally when the performance of the MK3 being spoken about i take this G-Tech Reading out. The only mods on the car were the TTE (dealer option) Exhaust and an Apexi Air Filter:

speed.jpg

So.....lets all :group-cuddles: and agree the MK3 is a serious tool for back lanes, we all know that its not the fastest thing in a straight line but that's not why you'd buy one.

okay, for those of you that obviously havent read the first post..

I dont care about performance, handling etc... I can find all that out myself...

But thanks for the info nevertheless :group-cuddles: but I always figured it'd be pretty good since its a lightweight, mid-engined 2 seater...

This poll is simply about image... and the opinion people have of the Mk3... nothing more, nothing less...