Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vauxhall/Opel version of Aygo/C1/108?

FROSTYBALLS

With the PSA purchase of Vauxhall/Opel, will we see a version of the Aygo/C1/108 replacing the Korean-built Vauxhall Viva/Opel Karl?

Currently the Viva/Karl are based on the Chevrolet Spark and built by GM Korea. Different platform to anything else in the PSA/Vauxhall/Opel organisation.

The next generation of the Aygo/C1/108 would probably be due a new platform but will the Toyota & PSA agreement continue to a new generation seeing as PSA now have higher volumes due to adding Opel/Vauxhall & therefore could go it alone?

21 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

The next generation of the Aygo/C1/108 would probably be due a new platform but will the Toyota & PSA agreement continue to a new generation seeing as PSA now have higher volumes due to adding Opel/Vauxhall & therefore could go it alone?

I'd say they'd still continue. Toyota have given PSA a reliable small car which I don't think PSA could do on their own. Well, they'd build it sure but reliable? 

I wouldn't think though that PSA would want Opel/Vauxhall to be in the small car sector. So it may be the case that they won't continue the Viva/Karl past this generation, or if they do they will be heavily rebadged 108/C1's.

I think that the PSA-Toyota deal was fruitful / beneficial for both parts) as Toyota managed to develop a city car at an affordable price (cannot recall if Toyota produced such a small car in the past) thanks to an EU-based factory while PSA gained from the great, economic and reliable engine (among others) that Toyota brought through Daihatsu. I am not aware of details of the agreement but that's what I understand.

Opel/Vauxhall city cars (Adam etc., smaller than the Corsa) were never as successful as the PSA ones, so I also believe that PSA will continue development of its most compact models based on their joint platform with Toyota and take advantage of Opel's expertise with larger models, especially the latest SUVs.

In any case, I find it confusing and annoying to see the same model under different brands (see Suzuki Splash / Wagon R+ & Opel Agila, Chevrolet Spark & Opel Karl, Hyundai i10 & Kia Picanto, even the first gen of the Aygo/C1/107 & Up, Mii and Citigo). Sharing expertise and parts / saving resources is one thing, but this leads to lack of innovation and inspiration. On the other hand, I appreciate innovative models, which look like no other, e.g. Renault Twingo (1st & latest models), Fiat Panda and 500 etc.; I don't necessary like them, but at least they have a bold statement to make). In any case, I hope that PSA will dare to build something new.

Opel/Vauxhall have already started using PSA platforms - the Crossland X uses the plarform from the C3,/C3 Aircross and Peugeot 208/2008. Presumably the next Corsa - the current model still uses the GM/Fiat platform shared with the Punto - will use the same PSA platform.

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Opel/Vauxhall have already started using PSA platforms

That was already in place well ahead of the sale presumably on a similar agreement to other cross manufacturer platform sharing deals.

One can only assume that there will be more platform sharing between Opel/Vx & PSA going forward.

On 9/30/2017 at 3:04 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably the next Corsa - the current model still uses the GM/Fiat platform shared with the Pinto - will use the same PSA platform.

Apologies for the off-topic message, but is there any collaboration between GM and Fiat? That would explain some similarities I see between the new 500 and Adam...

On 05/10/2017 at 12:01 PM, Pytheas said:

Apologies for the off-topic message, but is there any collaboration between GM and Fiat? That would explain some similarities I see between the new 500 and Adam...

No.

The Adam is based on a shortened Corsa platform.

The 500 is based on the same platform as the Panda. The 500 was also the basis for the last generation Ford Ka, which was built by Fiat in Poland for Ford.

GM and Fiat do have a sales/production agreement with Fiat, where the Doblo van is rebadged as an Opel/Vauxhall.

• Like 1

Personally I think the Viva was a nicer car to drive so I hope they keep it. It had more space and felt more grown up. Much nicer ride too. 

We don't want grown up!!!

We want a bonkers diddy pug GTi !!!

😈

On 29/09/2017 at 2:52 PM, Pytheas said:

In any case, I find it confusing and annoying to see the same model under different brands (see Suzuki Splash / Wagon R+ & Opel Agila, Chevrolet Spark & Opel Karl, Hyundai i10 & Kia Picanto, even the first gen of the Aygo/C1/107 & Up, Mii and Citigo). Sharing expertise and parts / saving resources is one thing, but this leads to lack of innovation and inspiration. On the other hand, I appreciate innovative models, which look like no other, e.g. Renault Twingo (1st & latest models), Fiat Panda and 500 etc.; I don't necessary like them, but at least they have a bold statement to make). In any case, I hope that PSA will dare to build something new.

It is becoming very common these days, if you look at Toyota 86 and the Subaru BRZ, they are essentially the same car. On the up side, we get our cars cheaper as the manufacturing cost is a lot lower if you do things (or clones) in volume and use common parts and platforms. PSA's goal is probably leaning towards low cost manufacturing rather than any innovations. Most of the new idea are now drawn towards the electric world which is going to be the next big thing.

Reskinning or rebadging the same basic car is nothing new and goes back to at least the 1960's.

Examples, and to name only a few:

Austin/Morris 1100/Wolseley 1100/Riley 1100/MG 1100/Vanden Plas 1100

VW Polo/Seat Ibiza/Skoda Fabia

VW Golf/Seat Leon/Skoda Octavia

MG Midget/Austin Healey Sprite

VW Up/Seat Mii/Skoda Citigo

Opel Kadett/Vauxhall Chevette

Opel Corsa/Vauxhall Nova

Opel Ascona/Vauxhall Cavalier

Opel Senator/Vauxhall Royale

Toyota Prius+/Daihatsu Mebius

Daihatsu Boon/Sirion/Subaru Justy/Toyota Passo/Perodua Myvi

Toyota Yaris/Daihatsu Charade (rebadged Yaris sold in Europe before Daihatsu withdrew)

Suzuki Alto/Nissan Pixo

Honda Concerto/Rover 200/400

Honda Legend/Rover 800

Landrover Discovery 1/Honda Crossroad

Opel Rekord/Vauxhall Carlton

Ford Cortina IV/Ford Taunus TC2

Ford Fiesta/Fusion/Mazda 2

Mazda MX5/Fiat 124 Spider