Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alphard Engine management light on.

RussB

Hi. I have an Alphard 3.0 2005 2WD which has the engine management light on. I have had a couple of local garages try to read to read the code but their equipment does not read anything. The light can be reset but comes back on again when the engine is restarted. The engine is running fine and can be driven without any issues. The fuel cap is secure and there is a rush of air when the cap is removed indicating that the tank is pressurised.

There are several code readers on eBay, some not expensive, but I am a bit wary of these as the garages quite expensive kit cannot read the codes.

My question is this, does anyone have experience of these readers or can recommend one that is known to work? Or any garages in the Wiltshire area that could help?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Russ,

An OBD... DTC code read is your best bet...

I'm fortunate to have a local garage who has a G-Scan reader (expensive bit of kit) and it reads my Estima codes no problem..and they do it for FREE.!!.

There will be a garage that IS able to read your codes...it's just finding the beggar that's the problem.:wink:

There are readers out there that will do the job but I agree it can be a bit hit and miss.....some work...some don't.:sad:

I'm assured this one works...£99 but you only buy it once.!

http://diagnostic-world.com/pages/Toyota_Lexus_Isuzu_iCarsoft_i905_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Tool_SRS_ABS_Engine_etc__189125-z=563729&p=71203.cfm

Hi RUToyota,

Many thanks for your reply.I think I may have to go for this. I will look at it as an investment! Will post an update shortly.

Cheers for now.

Russ.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Finally got round to buying the Carsoft code reader! Nice piece of kit and worked well. Have had some other problems to deal with (not car related) so thankfully the Toyota has kept running.

The reader showed PO135 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)and PO155 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1).

I cleared the codes twice but they have come straight back so time to do a bit more investigation. Have had a look online and found quite a bit of help so going to start with power supply and checking for obvious damage. 

Will let you know how it goes, hopefully it will be a bit warmer tomorrow!

Cheers

Russ.

Thanks for the update, Russ...good to know that the reader works well.

Looks like you'll be replacing the Oxy sensors.!..front one is easy...back one is a pain.!:rolleyes:

But do get good quality...eg Denso.

Hi,

checked the front sensor this morning and that is open circuit. As the rear one is a pain to get to I will replace this one first and hope that is the only problem!

Cheers for now,

Russ.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just to finish off this post, replaced both sensors in the end ( with two of Denso DOX-0109, from eBay, , had to solder on the original plugs but no real problem). Good job I have a mate who is more flexible than me for the back one! Light now out! Great!! Went for MOT this morning and a pass with no advisories so very happy.

Thanks for the advise.

All the best,

Russ

That's great news, Russ...thanks for the update.

The rear plugs/sensor are notoriously difficult to access.

When I had 6 new Denso Iridium plugs put in, the guy said the 3 rear plugs were as time consuming as doing the cam belt.!

I think you need the hands and arms of a Barbie Doll.!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links