Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris hybrid engine bhp difference between models?

Ricey155

Quickie for the people who know 👍

I'm scanning around for a 2 year old hybrid 15/65 plate availablecar have a sport listed with 100bhp, Westaaway have the icon listed as 73bhp I thought they had same engine specs? 

Privacy glass, 16" wheels and spoiler add ons ? Icon has nav in this model 

Am I missing anything please? 👍

Most dealers use specs from the manufacturer website. When the facelifted Yaris came out, there was an error as regards the bhp for the hybrid, which Toyota later corrected. Presumably Westaway are using the incorrect info.

The difference might be , between the ice bhp and total combined bhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

The difference might be , between the ice bhp and total combined bhp.

Most probably. My 2012 Yaris Hybrid spec is 74 bhp for the ICE and 100bhp combined. To confuse things more, the hp for the electric motor on its own is 60.

• Like 1

Searched everywhere for old info from 2015 spec'd cars, I guess they just used the HP figure not BHP. as the hybrids are all 100bhp in any clothing. 

anyway bought the available car for the strife yesterday, nice and easy 40min drive and viewed it after a phone call prior (prep it) and paid via direct debit 0.22% charge £24. drove it home and very impressed with the drive all be it not FAST. 

3 hours ago, Ricey155 said:

...... very impressed with the drive all be it not FAST. 

The Yaris Hybrid is very fast in the 0-40mph stakes - few cars can keep up.

• Like 1

Even with eco selected ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2017 at 10:14 PM, Mike J. said:

It's the apparent lack of throttle response that makes it seem less fast than it is?  I have a little Daihatsu that has similar 0-60 time, but feels faster, and is more fun to drive,  because the throttle response is so good you'd swear it starts to pick up revs a fraction before you actually press on the gas!  The Yaris, in contrast feels like a big saloon car and just a bit 'dead' - but not as barge-like as the Prius!

58 minutes ago, Kingsway said:

It's the apparent lack of throttle response that makes it seem less fast than it is?  I have a little Daihatsu that has similar 0-60 time, but feels faster, and is more fun to drive,  because the throttle response is so good you'd swear it starts to pick up revs a fraction before you actually press on the gas!  The Yaris, in contrast feels like a big saloon car and just a bit 'dead' - but not as barge-like as the Prius!

The general throttle response is programmed for frugality and it is only really at full throttle that the car goes fast - even then, there is a lag due to the petrol engine having to reach 4800rpm (in 1 - 2 seconds) to give its all (the lag is a bit like an 'old school' turbo?). 

Whilst the 0-60 times are around 10secs., the 0-30 is 4 seconds, which is competitive with petrol engine cars that do 0-60 in 7 - 8 seconds. There are not many automatic small cars that can do that this side of an EV.

ECO MODE feels "dead", especially if you have been driving with ECO MODE OFF for a while, but it definitely helps with getting better MPG.

I have no hard data to verify this, but it *seems* that when ECO MODE is OFF ("Normal mode" on Prius/Auris), that it biases towards the ICE slightly, and MPG is slightly reduced. The result is a slightly more responsive car at mid-throttle.

Full throttle is the same for any mode.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:01 PM, Mike J. said:

100bhp combined. To confuse things more, the hp for the electric motor on its own is 60.

I think it is related to torque vs. RPM, which affects the HP calculation:

Power (HP) = [Torque (lb/ft) * RPM] / 5252

I would suggest, the electric motor and ICE have different torque peaks, so at the peak of the combined system, it produces 100 HP.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links