Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D struggling/stalling at low speeds uphill

D4DinFTN

Hi all,

Newish owner of a 2002 LC Prado D4D diesel - multiple previous owners, but in decent nick. (The car, not me).

Looking for some advice/ideas before heading to a mechanic. Quality of mechanics where I live is somewhat variable and I'm a non-expert so want to go into conversations with a bit more of a sense of what might be the cause of the issue and what a decent mechanic might reasonably want to take a look at / replace.

All advice and ideas very much appreciated - especially from anyone who's experienced the same and resolved it!

The issue is that the car generally runs fine, but often under-revs or is under-powered when going uphill at low speeds. In particular at very low speeds, (e.g. during hill-starts), it fairly frequently stalls/cuts out after a metre or two. Usually resolved after re-start with a serious over-rev before engaging clutch, but I'm certain more than should be necessary. In its worst moments, requires switching on the auxiliary to get going on some pretty innocuous uphill slopes. Rev dial rarely gets much above 1.5 kRPM, and when struggling for power on hills at low speeds hovers around 1 kRPM (unresponsive to extra gas) before failing out.

From browsing similar-ish symptoms on forums like this, I'm wondering whether it might be one or more of: filters (fuel, or engine air, or oil), SCVs, injectors, EGR valves... But would really appreciate some informed advice!

Many thanks in advance,

Jason