Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

blooboy

Blooboy

Hi, I was wondering if someone ever did this before. 

I have a RAV4 now and had a Auris SR 180 before. The Auris and RAV4 have similar engines, 2.2L Turbo diesels.  The Auris is 180 bhp and the RAV4 is 150 bhp,  I was thinking would it be possible to bring the RAV4 up to 180 with just a electronic setting.

It's not that I rake around the streets and want more speed, ( I'm in my twilight years ) it's that the SR 180 is such a brill engine and has the power when it's needed.

Thank you in advance, Dee

25 minutes ago, Blooboy said:

I have a RAV4 now and had a Auris SR 180 before. The Auris and RAV4 have similar engines, 2.2L Turbo diesels.  The Auris is 180 bhp and the RAV4 is 150 bhp,  I was thinking would it be possible to bring the RAV4 up to 180 with just a electronic setting.

you probably can with a tuning box or re-map. However, there are mechanical differences (compression ratio, injectors etc.) between the 150bhp & 180bhp 2AD engines.

You would also have to inform your insurers who may decide to vary your premium. 

thank you for the quick reply Heidfirst, the insurers would be notified no problem, as always.   where would I go to get this information....

TVM Dee

7 minutes ago, Blooboy said:

where would I go to get this information....

Which information (about tuning boxes/remaps or about the mechanical differences between the 2AD engines)?

well the mechanical  differences if any, would dictate whether a remap or similar should/could be done.

that is the info that I would need.   seems to me the 2 engines are the same but set up differently. but then maybe not.

TVM Dee

No, it's possible to tuning box/remap both but the factory 177bhp can be taken even higher than the 150bhp. If you want to know every mechanical difference then you would need to speak to somebody like Devon Aygo but as I mentioned compression ratios & injectors at least vary (plus iirc the DPF).

It's only relatively recently that you have been able to get remaps for the AD series engines (as for many years nobody had managed to break Denso's encryption) so you possibly may struggle to find somebody near you who can.

As for tuning boxes they vary in sophistication & support & therefore also price.  You can have a look at https://lindopchipkits.co.uk who are one of (but not the only) suppliers with good feedback.

yes you're right in what you say, and I have had the experience of tuning boxes and modules, but found them to be unreliable.   the first I tried was to give me up to 35% more power and better mpg etc.  it had 8 settings to choose from so I bit the bullet and went for the max 8.   shortly afterwards the car went into that limp home mode, so I got in touch with the seller.   first thing he asked was what setting I used.   I told him 8, he said to turn it down to about 5 or 6.   forgot to mention the performance gain if anything was worse than standard.   well its still in the drawer and won't be used again, if its to do damage that can't be righted I don't want it.

this is why I was enquiring, if it was to have a remap and end up with the 177 bhp, no problem, I'd be happy enough knowing the engine was in no danger.

I thought someone would have tried it before now.

TVM Dee

what tuning box did you have? One of the £300 plus ones or one of the ~£100 ones?

As I said, remaps have only relatively recently become available for these engines but iirc a couple of people on here have had them done.

£

=

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links